• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help needed please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
My daughter rescued a baby bird at school today. It was been tormented and bullied by children. Wings were pulled etc, and to crown it all the poor baby was soaked to the bone from the rain and freezing. My vet is not available until next week so i am keeping the baby safe and warm until then. It is managing to eat handrearing formula bit by bit from a tiny teaspoon and i am keeping him warm in a home made brooder. It has got feathers but one can see he is very young. I get the impression that someone has tried to handrear this baby, as he eats comfortably from the spoon and he is not scared of us at all, and he loves having his neck and beak rubbed. When i put my fingar near him he automatically steps up. Am i looking after it correctly? I have handreared baby tiels before from day one. When i try to put him back into brooder after feeding he climbs back up my arm and runs and cuddles under my neck. I am not sure what type of bird this is but have been told it looks like a finch, and then someone mentioned maybe a sparrow?? Pictures i have seen it lookes like a finch. Please help as this babies welfare is in my hands. He is very peaceful and calm. He has no cuts or sore places on him from those naughty children. He is very much alert, and gives little chirps when i talk to him. Can i handraise him and keep him tame as he is now and keep him?
Enclosed is photos of him.

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know about what to feed but bless your little girl and you for helping this baby out. Someone will be along shortly who can help guide you.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
The experts will be along shortly. Sounds like you are setting him up very well with warmth. I don't know what kind of formula his species needs so be careful till others chime in.
You probably know this already but make sure you keep him isolated from your other birds and make sure to wash up well before going near them (your daughter should also). You're doing great!

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thank you for taking him in. I know several people here raise small birds and hope they can be of help. Have you tried to google for pictures to get a positive ID?

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I am a wildlife rehabber. I'm at work right now, get off in a hour. Don't feed or water it yet, I will get back on here when I get home and let you know what to do. Please keep it very warm for right now.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
You're doing great! Half the battle is combating shock, so keep him warm and peaceful until the experts get back to you :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw he is a cutie. Sounds you doing great so far. I am not sure what they would eat though.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Liz, you and your daughter are wonderful to rescue this poor little baby. You are doing a great job. Keeping him warm and comfortable is important. I'm sending healing prayers and positive thoughts. I hope the poor thing survives this. Wishing you the best. I will continue to follow this thread.

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
I am a wildlife rehabber. I'm at work right now, get off in a hour. Don't feed or water it yet, I will get back on here when I get home and let you know what to do. Please keep it very warm for right now.

Hi Cindy, thanks alot. I have had the baby the whole day and have only just posted now. I have already fed him some handrearing formula....hope i didnt make a mistake now. I first made sure he was completely dry and warm, and he started nuzzling my fingar, thats when i made him some formula. I get the impression he was handraised by humans as he is very comfortable eating from a teaspoon, and loves cuddling and most of all loves scritches. He also steps up when asked. He is very calm and alert. He is not stressed out at all. In fact after i fed him he crawled up to under my neck and wanted to sleep. Almost like he was used to doing it.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ditto, as to what everyone else has posted.

When Cindy gets on she should have alot of very good info. I do know that wild birds need more protien than our captive birds.

If you have a WildLife Care center or a Wildlife Rehabber (look in the yellow pages) it might be wise to contact them. I do know that in many states you can not keep a wild bird, or care for it, unless licensed. You can probably check your states statutes online in regards to wild birds.

Most rehabber will wean it out and socialize it with a similar or like species and release it back into the wild once it is fully weaned and on it's own.

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Thank you for taking him in. I know several people here raise small birds and hope they can be of help. Have you tried to google for pictures to get a positive ID?

gary
Hi Gary,...i have been on several sites to try and get a picture, and the pic that comes up the closest is the house finch. I cannot be 100% sure though. After reading through a couple of sites all the birdies start looking the same.:rofl:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Liz, I tried looking too, and kept getting the House Finch and House Sparrow confused, lol. After looking at tons of pictures I gave up.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Hi! Sounds like so far you are doing good. What we do for these guys is soak dry cat food in water, get it good and soft. Offer him tiny pieces of it with tweezers. If he takes it that way, it will give us an idea of age. Do not worry about giving him water, he will get that through the food. I am going to PM you my phone number. Call me if you have trouble or if you want more info.

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Hi Susanna,
I know there are wildlife sanctuaries but very far from me. We do have a small bird park by us and i will quickly go to them in the morning. Here in South Africa they are not strict with things like licensing etc and these babies are full up here. If the people at the bird park tell me he is fine and i can keep him (he looks like he has been handreared) then i am going to. I cannot send this one out just to die. I will never live with my consious and i will never be able to look into my daughters eyes, if i had to do that. She rescued him.....after standing up to older girls twice her size. She is my hero. I am so proud of her!!!!
Liz

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Hi Susanna,
I know there are wildlife sanctuaries but very far from me. We do have a small bird park by us and i will quickly go to them in the morning. Here in South Africa they are not strict with things like licensing etc and these babies are full up here. If the people at the bird park tell me he is fine and i can keep him (he looks like he has been handreared) then i am going to. I cannot send this one out just to die. I will never live with my consious and i will never be able to look into my daughters eyes, if i had to do that. She rescued him.....after standing up to older girls twice her size. She is my hero. I am so proud of her!!!!
Liz
She is a brave hero... It takes alot for kids to stand up to older kids! I hope everything works out for the little bird, and it really looks cute!

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
They are really cute birds, it's just that most of them don't do that well in captivity. Once we can kind of get an idea about his age, we can go from there on the foods he eats, and caging. I sent you a pm with some questions to try to get you started. Good luck.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hopefully you will end up getting to keep t he little guy dear..hope he makes it so proud of your daughter!!!

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Here is a quick update on the baby bird my daughter rescued. He is doing very well. Eats formula like a little champ. I ....after alot of research etc, have reached the conclusion that he is a baby sparrow. I took him to a lady who owns my favourite petshop and she is convinced that he is a sparrow as well. She also explained that they feed differantly than tiels and budgies. He has to be fed every 2-3 hours. He is not weaned thats why. She also said he must be given "meal worms" (if i remember the name correctly). She held one out to Casper and the poor baby didnt know what to do with it. He first licked it then rolled it in his beak then dropped it. I held it out to him again, and he grabbed it, twisted it in his beak and swolled it whole. So now i must give not more than 2 at a time to him a few times a day as well. She said i must continue with the formula. She said that under no circumstances can he be set free as he is too tame. He will then be a target for cats and dogs and even humans (like the naughty kids at the school). Her assistant told me on Thursday that there is no way he will survive and today he played with Casper and said he cannot believe that he is so tame, so Anita (petshop owner) said to him that he must never underestimate my passion for birds and most of all never to tell me a bird will never make it. She knows me very well, and knows my history with birds, especially my rescue tiel Patches who the vets told me is not going to make it etc. Now when the vets see me they still say they cannot believe how i nursed Patches back to life where by all logical thinking she should of been dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.