• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent help cockatiel mating all the time

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
(Posting on behalf of a friend)
Hi, we introduced a male cockatiel to our tame female about a week and a half ago. The female is 2 years old and has been with us for a long time. The male is a bit younger (20 months old according to the breeder) and he is not hand tamed unlike the female. After placing them side by side the male instantly started to sing. When we released the birds, they readily bonded and at night the female entered his cage instead of hers.

The cockatiels started mating intensively, I must say around 6 times a day on average from third day, and a week later she laid her first egg in the nest box we gave. However, their mating. has not stopped at all. Today we noticed that the female has a wound on her right wing when the male grips during mating, and the female picks on it. We are very worried. Also her vent looks a bit reddish. The female never refuses during mating and follows the male everywhere.

What concerns me is that is this excessive mating normal? We never bred cockatiels before so we do not know but I have experience in breeding other parrots. Also, what can we do to the injury in her right wing caused by the male stepping on her. We applied some corn starch however I don't see that healing if he continues to mate. Both the cockatiels incubate the eggs by sharing the time, male mostly incubates during the day and female during night. None of them have had pairs before.

We are providing them egg food, fruits, vegetables regularly with seeds. The weight of the female is ok. But the injury concerns us. I am posting some pictures here of her injury in wing, picture of her vent, and the egg. The male or female has never fought with each other, they seem to be going alone very well and follow each other

Any experienced breeder with similar experience please share your valuable knowledge as it will help us a lot.

Thank you

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Why can't your friend create an account and post? If she intended to breed these cockatiels why didn't she ask the breeder she bought the male from for advise and mentoring? If you've raised birds before you would know there needs to be ample substrate in a nest box and I barely see any.... this will cause serious issues when the chicks hatch... if they do.

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
My friend does not have an account and she is not very good in english writing. So I am posting on her behalf. I hope its fine

I read online that we do not need a lot of nesting material for cockatiels, I will make sure to place some. But can you please advise on the injury in her wings?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My friend does not have an account and she is not very good in english writing. So I am posting on her behalf. I hope its fine

I read online that we do not need a lot of nesting material for cockatiels, I will make sure to place some. But can you please advise on the injury in her wings?
The photo on the wing is really blurry and I can't help you there. You need to read up on spraddle or splayed legs to understand why there should be plenty of nesting material in the nest box.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
If the female is being injured by the male, I would separate them. I would also boil and replace the eggs or provide false eggs for any unplanned clutches rather than letting them breed.