• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Egg Help Needed (Possible Egg Yolk Peritonitis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
For future reference Megan. When it's a real emergency, check out the Park veterinary hospital. It's a large, brand new state of the art facility with more than one exotic vet on staff. Dr. Kwantis is very good and one of the leaders of the facility.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am glad you were able to get some antibiotics. I hope she improves quickly and her body absorbs the egg yolk.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I'm sorry that your vet wasn't very helpful. Perhaps they could do a consult with Dr. B? I am keeping you both in my prayers.

Ginger
I will keep Dr. B in mind, but I think for now I'm going to see how she does on the meds, and do a recheck in a few days. I still have my appt with vet #2 (Dr Keeler) for Tuesday, so I might just keep that and recheck with him instead of the vet I saw today. I'm not sure yet.

For future reference Megan. When it's a real emergency, check out the Park veterinary hospital. It's a large, brand new state of the art facility with more than one exotic vet on staff. Dr. Kwantis is very good and one of the leaders of the facility.
Thanks John, I will keep them in mind too. I know a couple people who go there and are very happy with the vets there.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
How is she today? I hope she is doing well. Glad you pushed for the meds :)

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
She is doing okay. Still acting a bit off (she's active and playful yet, but when she's resting she just sits there fluffed up with slightly laboured breathing) but she is much better than she was Thursday night for sure.

I'm thinking I probably will keep the appt with Dr Keeler on Tuesday. The vet I went to was hesitant about drawing the yolk fluid from Leyla's abdomen "if it really was EYP". But I would think it would be better on her liver to draw at least some of the fluids so the liver doesn't have to break down all of it. From what I've read, it's usually recommended to draw the fluids. She's still a little jaundice, but I noticed a bit of pinkish tinge back in her skin this morning.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that she is doing better! I hope that things go well at the vet's Tuesday.

Matt

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Sending lots of healing thoughts for Leyla! :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would definitely take her to the vet on Tuesday. Birds hide illness and she really does need a recheck.

Ginger

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Im happy to hear her condition hasnt worsened!
Good Luck tomorow with Dr.Keeler, hopefully he suspects the same as you and handles it appropriatly.
Are you stil makin a trip down this coming week with all the trouble Leyas having? Im gonna email you!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I would definitely take her to the vet on Tuesday. Birds hide illness and she really does need a recheck.

Ginger
Definitely:) I was thinking of waiting until my regular vet is back on Thursday, but I do already have the appt scheduled with Dr. K on Tuesday, so I'm thinking I might as well just keep that one.

Im happy to hear her condition hasnt worsened!
Good Luck tomorow with Dr.Keeler, hopefully he suspects the same as you and handles it appropriatly.
Are you stil makin a trip down this coming week with all the trouble Leyas having? Im gonna email you!

Thanks Kim, I will post an update after the vet visit!

I hope to still drive down, but I will have to see how Leyla's doing by then. Providing Dr K recommends to keep her on the meds, she needs those twice a day, so I might just make it a day trip on Sunday instead of coming down on Saturday morning as originally planned. How does Sunday look for you?

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Leyla is flying around my room like a crazy bird right now! She is definitely feeling a little better:)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
That is good news!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Definitely:) I was thinking of waiting until my regular vet is back on Thursday, but I do already have the appt scheduled with Dr. K on Tuesday, so I'm thinking I might as well just keep that one.

Thanks Kim, I will post an update after the vet visit!

I hope to still drive down, but I will have to see how Leyla's doing by then. Providing Dr K recommends to keep her on the meds, she needs those twice a day, so I might just make it a day trip on Sunday instead of coming down on Saturday morning as originally planned. How does Sunday look for you?
Sorry, I emailed you asking the same question again, before checking back here.
I put my work schedule in the email, let me know what you think.....

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Just got back from the vet again! He says he would be hesitant to diagnose it as EYP because she's not "confirmed" a female (never been DNA'ed, never laid an egg before), but it could be that or even possibly some kind of gut infection. Did a gram stain that came back okay. He says to keep her on the antibiotics and if she's still having problems when the antibiotics are finished (two weeks) then we can maybe do more tests, but he's confident the Baytril will take care of it. I picked up some plain yogurt on the way home to give her too.

My poor babies are sooo tired after having their afternoon naptime interrupted by a long car ride and vet visit! They are napping on my chest:heart:

Rigs is flirting with them from behind my head:lol:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
hesitant to diagnose it as EYP because she's not "confirmed" a female (never been DNA'ed, never laid an egg before)
----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the vet can surgically sex to determine if male or female. And if female scope inside to see what exactly is going on.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that the antibiotics work.

Matt

Status