• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent URGENT!! Distressed & disoriented budgie after bath.

1xa.ngelix

Moving in
Real Name
Angel
Today, I decided to give my budgie a bath in warm water. I took him out & saw that he started having trouble balancing because he was shaking so much. He also began wheezing, which I cannot explain because I made sure he didn't dunk his head in the water or that it didn't touch his beak. This has happened before as well.

I did the same routine of bringing him into my bed and wrapping him in a small blanket next to me in case he was cold, and he seemed to recover somewhat so I put him back in the cage. He shares this cage with two other male, adult budgies (they are one and he is 4 months). He hardly ever gets enough to eat and drink because they are constantly fighting over food, so I have to feed him myself sometimes.

While I was warming him up in my hand, I noticed he had pooped on me. However, it was not the same type of feces as yesterday and before. It was runny, and either clear or yellow, almost like mucus. There was no blood present in the feces itself but I did see some on his tail.

I want to know if I should contact a vet about this issue, and if his diet has anything to do with it.

I do not have photos of the poop.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I feel like there is a lot going on here to where it is really hard to tell you with anything close to certainty that this is a stress response, food/diet, or illness. Many of the symptoms you are describing could be explained by all of the above. I don't want to tell you that there is nothing going on, but I also can't say with confidence that there isn't.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like @Mizzely, I cannot say whether this is illness, stress triggered by the bath, or something else.

However, I find it very concerning that a young budgie is sharing a cage with two older budgies who are not allowing him to eat and, as you explained in another post, being physically aggressive to him. This is a situation that results in chronic stress, not to mention physical injuries, starvation and dehydration. You've been told before that you need to either separate the youngest budgie and house him with a same-aged friend, OR to rehome him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would take him to the vet for a check up and to make sure he isn’t underweight. You should also separate him right away so he can eat enough food on his own whenever he is hungry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How are things going Angel?

Did you contact a vet?

Have you separated the baby bird away from the others?