• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent: Cockatiel Throwing Up

jmack009

Checking out the neighborhood
It seems that my cockatiel slept on his water dish last night for some reason, and this morning he drank from his water dish before I could remove his poop.

I removed and cleaned the dish as soon as possible, but now he hasn't felt good all day. He has been sleeping and just vomited water. Once he finished vomiting, I put him back in his cage and he went back to sleep. He didn't vomit any food, just liquid.

I don't have access to a vet to take him, what should I do?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry, but if your bird is lethargic and vomiting getting medicine from a vet is the only way to help him get better. At best you can give supportive care by keeping him very warm and relaxed, and putting apple cider vinegar in his water. Is he drinking or eating? You might have to keep him hydrated or feed him with a spoon. If you tell us your general location we might be able to help you find a vet. I wouldn’t think a sip or two from a dirty water bowl would make your bird so sick so fast. Was he acting perfectly healthy before this happened? Once in a while my birds will poop in their water bowl at night, but changing it first thing in the morning seems to work. My birds sleep in a very dark closet, so sometimes I doubt if they actually drink anything during the night.

jmack009

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m sorry, but if your bird is lethargic and vomiting getting medicine from a vet is the only way to help him get better. At best you can give supportive care by keeping him very warm and relaxed, and putting apple cider vinegar in his water. Is he drinking or eating? You might have to keep him hydrated or feed him with a spoon. If you tell us your general location we might be able to help you find a vet. I wouldn’t think a sip or two from a dirty water bowl would make your bird so sick so fast. Was he acting perfectly healthy before this happened? Once in a while my birds will poop in their water bowl at night, but changing it first thing in the morning seems to work. My birds sleep in a very dark closet, so sometimes I doubt if they actually drink anything during the night.
I got in contact with a vet and he said to keep the room warm (around 80f), try and give him snacks, and find a vet to do a crop flush and tests tomorrow.

I got his favorite snack and he eat it like a madman. After that he took a nap. Woke up, drank 4 beakfuls of water. Eat more snacks. Ran around like a bullet with his heart wings, played with his brother for a few minutes and climbed back into his cage to sleep.

I prepared some very diluted chamomile and mint tea for him to drink to hopefully relax his nerves abit. I will try and find a vet to do the lab work tomorrow.

Cockatiels are weird creatures, or maybe I am for making him a cup of tea.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cockatiels are weird creatures, or maybe I am for making him a cup of tea
:roflmao: This cracks me up.

You are right, on both counts (I make mine tea too). Sounds like your baby is feeling better.