• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent!! Bug spray problem!!

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Hi this is urgent please!!!!! I don’t know how to put an urgent thing here but please!

There was a wasp in my room earlier and without thinking I sprayed some bug spray on them, my birds (two budgies) were only a metre or so from where I sprayed it, I have removed the from the room and let a window open but I don’t know if they will be okay! I wiped down their cage quickly, but they seem fine at the moment. Will anything happen to them? I feel so stupid and incredibly guilty, I really don’t want them to die as I live them immensely!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Monitor them closely. If they look to be struggling to breathe, or start clicking whilst breathing, get them to the vet.

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Monitor them closely. If they look to be struggling to breathe, or start clicking whilst breathing, get them to the vet.
They seem to be fine right now but I am watching them carefully, I will update through time!

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
When do you think would be right to put ten back into their room and how does clicking when breathing sound?

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
How long has it been? Can you still smell it?
No I can’t, I have opened the window so that the fumes can leave, I don’t have a purifier or anything so it was the best I could do.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
No I can’t, I have opened the window so that the fumes can leave, I don’t have a purifier or anything so it was the best I could do.
What time is it? For safety I would leave it as long as possible, just in case. Maybe even tomorrow if it is evening where you are?

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
It’s been nearly 30 minutes since it happened and they both seem fine, but does this mean they can still start to develop symptoms?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It’s only 11:36 am here, so midday
I would wait until you go to bed. You said they were in your room, so you can just take them back as you go to bed. It's better to play safe.

Are you UK? Do you know of an avian vet you can go to if they start to become ill?

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
They’ve been sitting still for a while now, as I have moved them into another tool they’re not used to. My male budgie has started to play with a toy but I’m still really worried. We’ve never taken them to the vet before and because of Covid etc, we don’t know if they are still doing avian care.

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
They’ve been sitting still for a while now, as I have moved them into another tool they’re not used to. My male budgie has started to play with a toy but I’m still really worried. We’ve never taken them to the vet before and because of Covid etc, we don’t know if they are still doing avian care.
Room*

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
I would wait until you go to bed. You said they were in your room, so you can just take them back as you go to bed. It's better to play safe.

Are you UK? Do you know of an avian vet you can go to if they start to become ill?
Yes I’m in the UK, there is an avian vet near me but I’m not sure if they’re doing it.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ok, I think you're getting a bit stressed, which is understandable. Try to calm down a bit.

Most vets are open, and just doing drop off and collection, so you don't have to go in the vet with other people. The vet is a backup. I don't think you really need it if they are fine at the moment.

@tka @Ripshod (just tagging people that are likely to be online)

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Ok, I think you're getting a bit stressed, which is understandable. Try to calm down a bit.

Most vets are open, and just doing drop off and collection, so you don't have to go in the vet with other people. The vet is a backup. I don't think you really need it if they are fine at the moment.

@tka @Ripshod (just tagging people that are likely to be online)
Okay thank you, they are chirping a bit now, and seem happy but I have slight anxiety so I usually get stressed in these situations.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
but I have slight anxiety so I usually get stressed in these situations.
I 100% understand that, but you have done the right thing to get them out asap and open the window. The fact they are chirping and becoming active is a good sign. Do you have a garden or outdoor space that you could let them get some fresh outside air (in the cage obviously)? It isn't necissary, but it might be benificial and they may enjoy it!

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a garden or outdoor space that you could let them get some fresh outside air (in the cage obviously)? It isn't necissary, but it might be benificial and they may enjoy it!
I have kept the window open in the new room but I keep the budgies on the top floor of my house and we have three floors, so it’s hard to do that. But I have kept them near but not too close to the window, so they can look outside.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have kept the window open in the new room but I keep the budgies on the top floor of my house and we have three floors, so it’s hard to do that. But I have kept them near but not too close to the window, so they can look outside.
Ok, that sounds good. I think you did the right thing quickly so I hope that your budgies will he okay. What are they called?