• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent advice needed

JadeEirinn

Moving in
Real Name
Jade Eirinn O Connor
Hey guys and gals, I have just become a proud owner of an adopted quaker parakeet, he has come to me in pretty bad condition, a little thin and he has plucked an awful lot of feathers out or maybe it's a molting time, I've never owned this type of bird before, my budgies never had this happen, his neck, chest back and tummy have big bald patches where some of the root of the feathers are still attached to the skin. I will be ringing the vet Tuesday to get him seen to but with the crisis going on in not sure if I can get an app. Would anyone have any ideas, the last owner didn't have much time for him and I've put it down to boredom for his feather loss but I'd like some more info. He's such a charming boy(I think) was told he is and his name is coco. Also the only fruits and veg he's had in the past year has been apple and parrot seeds so his diet has been pretty bad aswel, I've given him mango, banana, cucumber, red cabbage and honey dew melon is there anything ye would recommend. Thanks for reading and happy Easter

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he has bald patches, it's definitely plucking. Plucking can be a medical reason (diet, pain, allergies, etc) or behavioral (boredom, coping mechanism, etc) and sometimes if they have done it for a while, even if the original catalyst is removed, they may keep doing it out of habit, or the follicles can be damaged to the point that feathers may not grow back. I hope you can help him!