• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT 40-45 Degrees Celcius weather where I live.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I have an aviary with 9 birds, 2 lovebirds, 3 budgies, 2 cockatiels, and 2 ringnecks, and I just realized this morning that it will be so hot today, and I read that temperatures above 30 degrees iwll begin to make birds uncomfortable, so I need URGENT Help because i don't want my babies to over heat, does anyone know how to cool them down? I can give my cockatiels a shower with the spray bottle just fine but my other birds hate the noise it makes. Should I just forceabley spray them? Please help!

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
For those who MIGHT be worried, I have not moved my lovebird that I hand raised to my aviary yet.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Do they have a roof & able to get out of the direct sun?

I suppose all you can do is make sure they have enough water & maybe a few nice water baths to cool off.

If they are not over exerting & can get out of the hot sun they should be OK.

Hopefully others will chime in with advice.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your aviary doesn't have a roof I'd suggest you try to cover the top & some down the sides with a tarp, giving them an area they can get out of the direct sun. Place some perches high enough they can get out of the sun.

Put ice cubes in their water. Mist them using a garden hose with a nozzle you can turn to mist. If the air is still you could try to rig up a box fan on the outside blowing air across the aviary. Make sure to turn it off before dark.

If you can't do any of the above then take them inside. They'd be better off in small cages inside during a heatwave than suffering outside.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Having plenty of water sources to bathe in is important. Just be sure you double check that the aviary is mostly shaded throughout peak heat times.

I have moved your thread to the Safety forum. The 911emergency forum is more for injured/sick birds needed advice while awaiting the vet visit.