• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

URGENT!!! 2 week old cockatiel with sour crop (Sad Update #8)

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Hi, hope you all are doing well with all your feathered friends. Mine on the other hand is extremely sick.
I got a 2 week old cockatiel, Mini, which already had a severe case of sour crop. The vet asked me to mix the handfeed with gripe water and prescribed Nystatin along with cephalexin twice a day. He also asked me to dilute apple cider vinegar with water and give it to Mini every few hours or so. Its been two days since the vet consulted Mini but she (assuming its a female) is still very tired. She sleeps all day with little to no activity and her crop seems to be at least half full all the time. Her droppings are completely liquid without any solid in it and smells of the medicines that I give her. I have read that medicines can cause a change in the droppings of a bird so I’m deciding to be patient with it. Another one of my concern is also that if her crop doesn’t go down, how am I supposed to feed her or even provide her with the medication prescribed? She has also stopped growing completely. She looks the same as she did when I got her with no pin feathers growing whatsoever.
My heart breaks every time I see her. She is weak and lifeless to the extent that I have to physically touch her to check if she is alive. I’m terribly confused and don’t know how to make her feel better. HELP.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have baby tiel experience but this is a good resource, www.ask-noodles.com. I hope the baby will be ok.

@Zara ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am concerned about the use and dose of gripe water... was the vet you saw an Avian vet? Gripe water often has alcohol, can be packed with sugar and also contains herbs that may not be the best for a baby bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Time to go back to the vet

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I am concerned about the use and dose of gripe water... was the vet you saw an Avian vet? Gripe water often has alcohol, can be packed with sugar and also contains herbs that may not be the best for a baby bird.
The vet was an Avian vet and asked me to make all of my handfeeds in gripe water and not normal water. The gripe water does have sugar in it but no alcohol.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The vet was an Avian vet and asked me to make all of my handfeeds in gripe water and not normal water. The gripe water does have sugar in it but no alcohol.
Ok. I have not heard of gripe water being used to make formula before in this sort of situation.

Did they tell you what they expected for your little one after starting the gripe water formula and how long to wait to see them again?

Is the gripe water being warmed up to the temp the formula should be fed at?

Hopefully one of the other members with more knowledge on this situation will be along some time soon to offer some further advice or information. I believe there are some other foods that may be helpful but I am hesitant to mention anything with the limited knowledge I have on this sort of thing. @Zara or @Hankmacaw

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Ok. I have not heard of gripe water being used to make formula before in this sort of situation.

Did they tell you what they expected for your little one after starting the gripe water formula and how long to wait to see them again?

Is the gripe water being warmed up to the temp the formula should be fed at?

Hopefully one of the other members with more knowledge on this situation will be along some time soon to offer some further advice or information. I believe there are some other foods that may be helpful but I am hesitant to mention anything with the limited knowledge I have on this sort of thing. @Zara or @Hankmacaw
Yes the formula is supposed to be made the same way as I would make it with water. It is supposed to improve digestion. Mini has started pooping more frequently but its just green liquid. But I’m not sure if it’s the gripe water or the medication that did that since before the vet, my poor bird was pooping just thrice or four times in a whole day. I’m still terribly confused because what I’m giving my bird doesn’t make sense and just feels useless since there is no progress. The vet asked me to visit 3 days later so that’s what I’m going to do. I’m just praying every day that she makes it to the “3 days later.” 2 down, 1 more to go.
Thanks so much for your kind response though. I’m grateful for your support