• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urban chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I didn't want to totally hi-jack Gayla's thread, http://forums.avianavenue.com/around-neighborhood/17306-simple-request.html . So I decided to start a different thread for people who are interested in what can be done with Easter chicks, at least. I'd go into it with rabbits, but that really is a difficult subject for most people.

Here's a link to an urban chicken article Backyard Coops Make Chicks Chic : NPR

We do have ordinances that limit the number of poultry and housing requirements, but they are actually looser than I thought they'd be.
This leads you to a country map. Click on your state, select your city. I had to enter "chickens" in the search box to get the codes specific to chickens in Atl

Municode Library

I hope we can get a discussion going on this topic. I think it would be a great way to educate people about purchasing babies as gifts for Easter. It could also be a point to discuss with people releasing birds to shelters/rescues and for potential adopters.

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
Last week I finally found some chicks! Since we had plans Easter weekend, I didn't want to get them early. Last week, I couldn't find any available (and within an hour drive)! I found out later that there's a trick** to this, but mostly I was beginning to feel desperate! When I finally found a feed store with chicks, I practically jumped my hubby for the car keys, LOL! I even called the store twice to make sure they'd still have chicks by the time I got there. I left the house saying "four". I walked in to the store saying "six". I pulled out my check card at the register and said, "seven". There was a reason for the odd chick, the kid handing me birds gave me one questionable sex-link and we had to make it even, LOL! So I have three Easter Eggers (Araucana mutts) and two Golden Comets for sure. Then there's two that might be light EEs or the Comets. They're red-gold, but they also have racing stripes, LOL! It could be either way. The Comets are 5 days old (1 day when I got them) and the EEs are a day older. There does seem to be an age difference in the two ?? They seem to be of the younger group. But they both also retain a bit of the umbilical cord, so it could be a hatch thing. Which I was totally unaware of. Poor thing, I was cleaning up its butt and started tuggin on it, thinking it was stuck poo. Then it hit me that they might have an "outtie". So I have fingers crossed that all are hens, but any baby roos will recieve as much love and good living as can be packed into a couple months. I think that's better than the alternatives.

**here's the trick: most local hatcheries shoot for hatching near the weekend, Thurs/Fri, to have chicks available for the weekend. Big hatcheries that ship, want hatches at the first of the week to get the chicks in the mail early as possible. Locals with a few eggs hatching are kind of a random deal.

I saw some great ads, but didn't want to drive an hour or so to someone's house while alone, hubby at work.

Chickies really are like potato chips. You see how liddle-iddy-biddy they are and there are soooo many colors, sizes, textures, personalities, egg colors.... what? Four hundred different breeds? I just have to keep in context that each one is going to be the weight equivalent to 3 Olivers! So that's like 21 short-tailed So Am Yard Parrots running around, figuratively speaking.
I have some pics taken today. I guess it's an avian thing, the pics look a lot like the other ones I've taken of the birds. A big beak shot, some behind shots, and the inevitable baby dashing across the shot! (That one reminds me of some kid pics as well)

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
LOL, I was ooing and ahing over the chicks at Tractor Supply a couple of weeks ago. Good thing hubby is allergic to eggs or I'd have to have a few. But then, who would eat up all those eggs?

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae

Carmie, how about your neighbors? You can have the benefit of the stress relief enjoyed from watching them take care of your lawn, eat pests, and doing all the things chickens are supposed to do (sometimes that's the biggest relief: knowing they've got it right, LOL!) and your neighbors and friends benefit from healthy fresh eggs! Also, you'll help encourage others to start a household flock. I think we who have pet birds are great ambassadors because we strive for over-all bird health and are serious about what avian threats are out there. Healthy flocks are what we're about already.
They really are so much fun to watch! And as long as they have good endless supply of food and water, a clean environment and space, and good health, I can sit back without feeling guilty with worrying if I'm doing enough. LOL!

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
Aren't they, gg? LOL! I really get a kick out of them. They look you in the eye, and even though you know they're just babies, they seem to read you and the situation then go right to the important stuff, LOL! The kid got here and was so excited to see them. He was holding one and leaned over to whisper, "Mom... It's staring at me... !" I cracked up!
How are yours doing? I was wondering about what you do differently with having them and your birds. I've got them in high level quarantine, no "oopsy's". I'm not as worried about interacting with them as I was when we got Kaylee. It was hard to keep her away from Kato and Oliver because she also needed attention. It's different for the chicks so it's more of a lock-down. Even so... I do watch them pretty closely for any signs of illness or lag in developement. Any other suggestions?

Since I had the DE discussion earlier, I know there are several people who have chickens as well. Sharing experiences would be great!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
mine are all adults and live outside - I have 3 in the courtyard - 2 Japanese silkies and 1 easter egger (that doesn't lay colored eggs) that thinks she is a dog. She tries to come in when I call them and lines up with them for treats :lol:

Then I have 3 more (a Silver Lacewing ?, a Buff Orphington and a Black Star [cross between Rhode Island Red and Sex Link] ) and a Muscovy duck out in the pen with the goat :)

they are all fat and sassy and sooo smart

I am hoping to add another Muscovey this spring :)

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
That is so funny about your hen! Goes to show the personalities! I've got fingers crossed on how many are hens, although I don't really have room for all seven!
I really love Muscovies, but can't seem to find them anymore. We (my sibs and I ) loved them because they didn't go down to the pond and always had such beautiful bumble bee babies! We didn't know they were good to eat and my folks would butcher the Pekins, which were nasty tasting!

Status
Not open for further replies.