• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Upper beak stuck in lower beak

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Our eclectus parrot seems to have his upper beak locked/trapped inside his lower beak. He doesn't seem stressed about it, but he hasn't really moved in over an hour and is ignoring the almond I put in his bowl.
Certainly, he can get himself out of this situation, right?
This may be a natural position for his beaks to line up, but I've never seen him do this before and it's freaking me out a little.

20210517_152530.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's stuck and unable to eat or drink, he needs to see a vet. In captivity their beaks can get overgrown and they can get themselves into trouble

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
In the words of Emily Littella: "never mind" (remember Gilda Radner from the early days of SNL?). Anyway, I feel silly. He must have been just chilling out with his beak propped open. He had no trouble opening his beak and attacking the almond I put into his bowl after a while.

I asked the groomer this past week about his beak and she said that it wasn't time to trim since there wasn't much beyond the "quick". The vet said the same a couple of months ago.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I probably have the vet bills somewhere proving I am not :lol:
I actually did the same thing once! It turns out the birds previous owner had a bad smokers cough.