• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updates & Stepping up advice.

t_sti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Hey Guys,
I posted in here a few weeks ago seeking some help with my recently adopted B&G macaw on my prior post. I appreciate everyone’s tips and I’ve been taking things very slow and it’s been a huge drastic change, my boy loves to get pets/scratches and even asks for them. He has no issues coming towards me and seeks my attention and loves to be near me. Since I am 100% comfortable with him now, I am now fine with him attempting to step up. He attempted to step up once again but quickly runs away after lol. I’m sure he’s shy/scared and not sure if he stepped up with the prior owners. I’m wanting to get some advice on teaching him to step up, food will NOT motivate him and he runs away. I’ve been lucky 2x with him touching my arm with his foot and then running away shy to his stand
Thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sit with him on a table or a bench with your arms laying on the solid surface and try to get him to walk over your dead still arms to get a toy or something he wants. Our arms are not steady like a perch is so they’re tricky till the bird learns that they can trust the squishy moving perch. If he does stand on your arm then you don’t want to move till he is comfortable standing on them. Tiny steps

t_sti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Thank you, I’ve been doing this to be as steady as possibly to not scare him away. He even gently plays with my fingers with his beak out of curiosity to figure out what my arm is lol. I’ll have to give this more time and work on his pace. I’m not sure if he knows how to step up either, I know the prior owner told me he was super aggressive and couldn’t be trusted and she would wear a jacket around him Incase he decided to lung. I’ve been reading his body language and moving at his pace with tons of treats and it’s been working amazing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How old is he?

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Patience as you mentioned is the key, changing 30 years of his life to a new way with a new trainer and surroundings is huge for him. We have a rescued scarlet that covered the humane society with our blood when we picked her up and it took four years of slow moving smiling loving patience to change her. She now loves both my husband and I even giving cheek kisses before lights out night time. Repetition can help with your boys understanding how to live his new life.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might try while sitting at the table before he eats in the morning placing his familiar food bowl filled with his usual food where he would have to step up on your arm to get to it. You could taste it in front of him telling him it is good stuff. It may take time but might help.

t_sti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I’m beyond excited, he’s stepped up on me for the very first time today. I’m so glad after so much work he’s finally learning to trust me and is growing more curious about me

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I’m beyond excited, he’s stepped up on me for the very first time today. I’m so glad after so much work he’s finally learning to trust me and is growing more curious about me
:yah: That is Good News!!! :yahoo: :yourock: