• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updates on Ernie! Loves giving kisses - still hates my hands LOL!

rainygems

Moving in
So I posted a few weeks ago about bringing home my new lovie... and so far I think the bonding process is going really well! I've been trying to find a happy medium of showing him I am trust worthy, while still asking him to sometimes come out of his comfort zone. He is FINALLY stepping up onto my finger, but only if he is already out on his "step up" perch, and is offered an entire sprig of spray millet as a reward for stepping up LOL!
It's been 5 weeks now (seems like so much longer!!) and I'm really quite smitten with him. He loves my face, LOVES giving kisses, and is even quite sweet and kissy with my grandma, who I'm living with! <3
He's a very independent, cheeky, funny and stubborn little personality, and I wouldn't change him for the world.

He still doesn't like my hands at all, but he will accept millet from them, and will "target" using my pointer fingers at least! I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to give him scritches, but I'm still trying & hoping (without pushing him too much). He hasn't bitten at all, he's very gentle and sweet. And... He's really noisy lol! I've been working remotely from home now, and mostly allow his cage to stay next to my desk. I've attached pictures of how he will come and sit on my monitor to hang out with me, it's become his preferred perch while I'm working. I love it - until he decides to get noisy lol! I take calls for a contact center, and sometimes he gets a little too amped up by me talking to the customers. But usually he's docile enough that the occasional song he lets out is fine. :)
The other morning it was really sweet, I had given him the left over sprig of millet from the previous day ; and yeah, there wasn't much on it, but usually he's a greedy lil thing for millet lol! And instead of staying at his cage to eat, he instead got out, and came and sat with me on my monitor to hang out and chatter with me while I ate my breakfast before work! It was so sweet!

He's definitely my lil buddy, he just thinks my face and hands are two separate entities, I think lol!

So the attached pics are him hanging out with me at my work desk, and then him on my finger!! <3 He also is starting to get used to coming with me throughout the house, this morning I brought him down to the kitchen with me while making my coffee. He was only a little bit naughty ;) Thought he could fly into the cupboard to investigate, and then panicked when he realized there was no place for him to really perch in there LOL! But he's very resilient, a little shock doesn't seem to set him back much at all. I'm always calling him my brave lil boy; it's a good and bad thing, but he really would rather explore and be curious, and I am happy for it.

OH! And last time I was also talking about how he had come with his flight feathers overly clipped, so he couldn't even hover, and how awful it was to have him out and have him try to get around just to fall.... well he's ALREADY grown back two flights on each wing! So now he can somewhat fly, hover, and maneuver! It's actually really nice! I'm not sure how it will go once he is fully flighted, I might keep him semi-clipped, but it's so nice for him to be able to be able to (somewhat!) fly on his own now. He has so much more independence, he just can't go huge distances to get into *too* much trouble lol! His cage door stays open pretty much all the time, and I have it set up (as you can kinda see in the pics!) so he can go back and forth from inside the cage, up to the window ledge, and then over to my desk to hang out. He's really quite independant now, and with being quarantined at home.... I'm always there, so I let him have the choice of what he wants to do. :)

And here are the pics! <3

IMG_20200326_131419.jpg

IMG_20200326_131417.jpg
IMG_20200328_190029.jpg
IMG_20200328_190030.jpg
IMG_20200308_153554.jpg

I can't get enough of his blue/green/violet colors <3 <3 <3

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice update! :) Your little one is so cute :cloud9: Still no name?

If your bird enjoys hanging out on your computer now, you may find he is the same when flighted, but with odd laps around the room every so often.

I´m very curious how you got the perch attached to the window

rainygems

Moving in
Nice update! :) Your little one is so cute :cloud9: Still no name?

If your bird enjoys hanging out on your computer now, you may find he is the same when flighted, but with odd laps around the room every so often.

I´m very curious how you got the perch attached to the window
So far I've been calling him Ernie! I wanted to call him 'Mochi' - but Ernie is the name that stuck lol!

And for the window perch, I have one of those bendable rope ladders! When the window is open (it has a screen so there is no risk of him getting out), I can kind of 'cork screw' the perch behind his cage and then into the window pane - so it spirals up the window, behind his cage, and then down into the window pane where he can sit, so he can go high or low. With how I position it, the cage kind of locks it into place so it's really secure!

When the window is closed, the perch has a latch on on one end of it, and I can put that down between the window pane and the frame where there is a gap, and that locks it into place. The perch then just spirals down beside his cage, so he can climb up or down it depending on the view he wants :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge