• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for the reply! did the cage arrive with rust or did it develop? How did you fix the rust?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for the reply! did the cage arrive with rust or did it develop? How did you fix the rust?
Part of the top panel had rust spots. I sent photos to Midwest Homes for Pets and at first they weren't going to replace the part but I was very emphatic that a new cage should not have rust. They were going to send me a bottle of touch up paint to cover the areas and I told them that this was NOT acceptable. They wound up sending me a replacement part.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thinking about getting Louise a new cage. Her's is old, has some rust spots and is not the easiest to clean. Looking at and Avian Adventures Mediana. Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop - by BirdsComfort.com
A couple of the reviews say the bars are flimsy/hard to attach perches to. Any experience with that? I like the play top and the shelf on the bottom--mainly why I am looking a AA.
Are powder coated cages easier to clean than SS? And do you think the pearl white color would show less than platinum? I like the platinum because my house has lots of stainless steel...would love a SS cage but am concerned that it will be harder to clean and is pretty pricey.
Last question.... where have folks found the best bargains?
thanks for any advice.

Cheryl hoya

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cheryl Sequeira
Does anyone have recent experience with Freedom Cages?

Jaen

Moving in
Also wondering the same thing. Reached out to the owner (Mr. Mark Mann) and he just replied with some price quotes and updates. Seems like they get some mixed reviews here especially in regards to the customer service. Would love to DM the OP about their experience but I don't seem to have that option (maybe my account is too new?)

lynne5

Sitting on the front steps
Also wondering the same thing. Reached out to the owner (Mr. Mark Mann) and he just replied with some price quotes and updates. Seems like they get some mixed reviews here especially in regards to the customer service. Would love to DM the OP about their experience but I don't seem to have that option (maybe my account is too new?)
On the previous page KimKim mentions that Freedom Cage has likely gone out of business, unfortunately.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I believe you need to have somewhere around 20 or 25 posts before you can private message. :)

Mr. Macaw

Moving in
Freedom Cage is still indeed in business! I look at it this way. For just a little bit more you can get a NorthWest cage. John sources the best domestic gauged Stainless Steel and his workmanship is un compromised. His attention to detail and quality is head and shoulders above any of the previous companies listed. You won't find a single customer in 20 years that doesn't absolutely love his work.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I took a peek at the NorthWest cages, they do look nice. The cage sizes recommended for types of birds was very small unless it is only for a sleep cage.

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
I will note that I just got a prevue large play top cage and it does indeed have a bar over the food bowls when the door is shut to prevent bowl dumping, original post says they don’t.

Mr. Macaw

Moving in
I took a peek at the NorthWest cages, they do look nice. The cage sizes recommended for types of birds was very small unless it is only for a sleep cage.
Yeah his website is dated, i'll give you that, but he'll make any cage, any way, to whatever size, dimension, pretty much whatever you want. He's a nice, personable guy. If you call him and tell him what it is you want and he'll do it. The strength, durability, his know how, and workmanship far out-weigh any other company on the market. He may be 15-20% more but his cages go the distance. To be honest, the extra cost is minuscule when you are talking 4 or 5 decades.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I love Bennett’s cages for a large macaw who can easily snap the welds on a kings 506 or the stainless steel cages sold through similar companies.
They are lightweight but strong and impossible for breaking out. 1C6CAE10-D00B-4BC7-A11F-58198A2A3ED5.png

Patience

Meeting neighbors
We bought an A & E Victorian Scallop Top bird cage for Syd about a month ago. Ours was pewter. I just did a review, see if they post it. Here it is for anyone that might be shopping:

The price has nearly doubled since we bought this cage for our umbrella cockatoo. It takes two adults to assemble and comes with a picture, no actual instructions.

The parts were not bent. Powder coat is in good shape and cleans easily. It went together well.

I cleaned and sanatized with paper towels in one hand and fine grit wet-dry sandpaper in the other to sand down the MANY sharp places I found. Do inspect every inch (of any cage) before installing a bird! I dinged it two stars for drawing my blood on a very sharp little bur in the finish.

Seed guards are much improved design, bolt together and the bird can’t remove them. Cup doors are more secure for a mechanically inclind bird but the top drop down door needs a better latch. We replaced the small swivel with a large one from the previous cage and keep a machinist’s c-clamp on it when we don’t want the bird out. The top latch doesn’t really close but it does go in the clip and so far it is holding against a determined cockatoo.

The door latch is a huge improvement from previous models. It does appear to be cast pot metal and if our bird ever has a go at it from the outside of the cage it doesn’t stand a chance. Bird can’t seem to open it from the inside. Yet.

It is big enough for our umbrella cockatoo to fully extend her wings and flap hard, with enough room to spare to prevent injury. It is far too tall for the top doors to be useful for anything except access with a ladder. Like having it for people access. The drop down door doesn’t quite open flat horizontal but it is the feature most important to our bird and works fine. The castors are large and move easily and our bird promptly filled the grooves completely up with pellets ground to a powder. The bars are mounted in panels rather than going through the frame which may help it last longer though it is a bit harder to clean. A dry paintbrush helps with cleaninng the bars and the wheels.

It was a good value at the price we paid ($479 plus a hundred freight) and a solid cage. Should get ten years out of it which is as good as any powder coated cage lasts with our particular cockatoo.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Anyone have any experience with Montana cages? So far I only found positives about these.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Anyone have any experience with Montana cages? So far I only found positives about these.
I believe they are an EU brand comparable to Kings? @Zara I believe has one

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe they are an EU brand comparable to Kings? @Zara I believe has one
Correct and correct :)
I have two. They are both Madeira cages but the newer one has ¨new design¨ doors. I personally prefer the older style doors (slide bolt, open like door, the new doors lift up and open like a moat door, no bolt lock) but the cage is the same. Nice quality. There are Kings cages and also HQ cages in the same style.
I have seen some Montana cages that don´t look great and others that look really good. Which model are you looking at?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Las Vegas
Just looked this up, same coating as my cages and looks to be from the same line. Same wheels and porch door, same feeder doors and open top. I ha e never seen this cage before but from the experience with my own cages I bet this is a great cage.
Check out some reviews online and see what people say :)

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
So far what litle I seen of reviews been positive, and from what I read on cages it checks out. I just figured it was worth checking in a society like this, as if there was something I didnt pick up on, its more likely to find someone who knew here.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I love Bennett’s cages for a large macaw who can easily snap the welds on a kings 506 or the stainless steel cages sold through similar companies.
They are lightweight but strong and impossible for breaking out. View attachment 284830
Expandible Habitat is excellent for the larger guys as well and can handle the Hys. I like them for the escape artists. We have two SB2s who can get out of anything and Tuchis TAG doesn’t escape but if he’s out, he likes to let everyone out. He’s currently driving me crazy! We are slowly replacing all our cages with EH cages.