• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Saw a couple A&E cages at our local bird store today. They are extremely solid and well made. They have a victorian stand that could use a little help stability wise (that or the floor was a little uneven which wouldn't surprise me), but I went over 3 different models while there (some for conures, some for cockatoos, and a macaw cage) and they all seemed well put together with good strong bar size. Just an update since I was able to get hands on:)
Thank you, I ordered a cage from Animal Environments - but as always - had something come up - and debating canceling the order to save $$ - I'll see if I can find one around here to look at -

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Saw a couple A&E cages at our local bird store today. They are extremely solid and well made. They have a victorian stand that could use a little help stability wise (that or the floor was a little uneven which wouldn't surprise me), but I went over 3 different models while there (some for conures, some for cockatoos, and a macaw cage) and they all seemed well put together with good strong bar size. Just an update since I was able to get hands on:)
Thank you, I ordered a cage from Animal Environments - but as always - had something come up - and debating canceling the order to save $$ - I'll see if I can find one around here to look at -

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hope you can. Apparently the Animal Environments cages are different than A&E as well as more expensive from what I've read in forums. But I certainly saw nothing wrong with the A&E cages at our store. Also, don't forget to check Amazon and Ebay :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A&E is no when of quality as the AE cages, especially when it comes to large parrpts.

HQ and AE are not what they should be. Over priced. AE is better than HQ and theyre both better than Prevue Hendrix cages.

But if you can afford it and have big parrots like cockatoos and macaws, go with better quality cages.

phreels

Checking out the neighborhood
Does anyone have any experience with BirdsComfort.com ?

I haven't seen this cage anywhere but on birdscomfort.com. I am very interested in it except that I cannot be sure it is not an HQ cage. The website is poorly run (live chats, ha, right) and I can't find any reviews on most of the products. I have been searching several forums but haven't found anything negative or positive to be said for them. Anyone heard of them before?
HQGB83223E Large Two Tops Bird Cage 32x23 - by BirdsComfort.com

I have never bought a bird cage before (I am saving up for a Caique) and I didn't know until reading this thread that some types/colors of paint are worse than others. I now know I should avoid a white cage- is that the same as for a cage that is 'platinum' colored?

In addition, I know a few years ago someone mentioned Marvelous Pet Bird Cages, and how they had, sadly, gone out of business.
Most of the websites I checked were out of stock, but Marvelous Pet has several up on their site, and they do NOT disappear when I try to put them into my shopping cart! I will probably call them tomorrow to triple check on stock. Maybe they found one last shipment container, somewhere.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I bought a double macaw cage from that site as well as a regular double flight cage.

Geomil was the one who I talked to. He was very nice. Very helpful, until I received the cages.

My double macaw cages wheels are tiny! Over a year after I bought the darn giant cage, the wheels proved to be too tiny and the weight of the cage slowly collapsed on the wheels. So the cage stands on the wheels.

I much more like A&E Cages over HQ.

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just bought a cage from Best Choice Products. Does anybody know how durable they are?

Melissa Marie

Meeting neighbors
I, personally am a HUGE fan of the Hagen Vision bird cages for the smaller breeds. I've purchased the M02, L01 and L02 models with great success. they run between $80 - $120 on Amazon and are WELL worth the investment.

They have a sturdy plastic base and are easy to assemble due to the well-designed snap components. The corners are a little tricky and require some muscle to snap just right, but once you get it the thing is sturdy as hell. L line is roomy with proportions similar to a flight cage, and are available with a whole additional section you can snap on to make it twice as tall. I love the drawbridge doors that open both in and out (if you push the door in, it makes a sturdy platform for your bird to walk on for easy exit). the feeding doors open from
the outside making for non-intrusive feeding (great for skittish parrots or finches). The bottom 5 in or so of the base is a clear acrylic offering you an uninterrupted view while they play and forage near the bottom.

The overall design is engineered to pull feathers, dander and debri into the bottom of the cage--the area around stays amazingly clean!! Cleaning is super easy too I that the whole bottom snaps off, so you can remove it to clean the grill and floor without disturbing your burds in the main cage.

The only downside is that the top is SLIGHTLY curved, so stacking things on top (like a play gym) can be a little tricky (not so much of the gym has feet, or you could do some clever wedging with a towel). Also the feeding dishes are located in the bottom, so you would have to attach additional feeders for birds who won't eat at ground level (although not a problem for linnies and budgies!)

Overall I've been extremely happy with the Hagen cages--and my flock loves them too!

Birdmom12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi,
I need a new cage for my umbrella cockatoo.
I'm considering a cage by Expandable Habitat. Does anyone have any experience with them? What I like about them is that they're made in the USA...
Do you think they're sturdy enough for a cockatoo????

pbleic

Just found this old thread and I would really appreciate some guidance. I have a 16 yo congo grey who has been living happily (in an ornery kind of way) in a slightly too small cage - one made by California Cages, which is out of business. My previous cages had been from Animal Environments, and they were really beautifully made. I am interested in getting a new cage of the right size, but it has to have the following requirements:

1. External food dish with blockade for throwing: My bird throws a ton of food out of the cage by picking it up with his feet and winging it. Certainly, to get our attention. He also poops in his dish. The external feeders will fix this.

2. Good quality stainless. I like the powder, but it chips and rusts.

3. Horizontal and vertical bars - although Carmen, at AE says that the horizontal bars are a risk for catching and breaking a wing.

4. Playtop top - this one I am not absolutely sure about. The bird spends a lot of time in the cage. I can see the advantage of the dome, but he loves to go onto the playtop from time to time when he is let out. I can't have a separate play area because of a dog.

I have spent a few weeks researching this. This is where I am:

Animal Environments - lots of bad PR on this site. I spoke with Carmen and have been getting a lot of emails from her. I know there quality was excellent in the past, but perhaps no longer? Also, their external food dish has the least "protection" from throwing.

Freedom Cage: I just love the way the feeding dishes look, and the cages look great. However, the reviews here seem bad, and I independently found the BBB site with an "F" listed. Really concerning.

Featherland - they have a good external feeding mechanism, but seem to be all dome tops. Also, the way they are put together looks a bit sketchy. Don't like the hollow SS bars stuff, etc.

Any other suggestions? Anything new? This shouldn't be so hard...

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, I have an Expandable Habitats cage and love it! It does not have external feeders or horizontal bars though. I do know they can custom make feeder doors that will fit an external feeder, but you have to buy the feeder. I think I read in this forum where they fit Animal Environments feeders on a cage once but eventually the cage owner had the cage made back to the way EH makes their own doors. They have excellent customer service, you should contact them and let them know what you are looking for and see what they say:)
Expandable Habitats - Stainless Steel Cages

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh and I think Freedom cage is out of business now.

pbleic

Well, that takes away any temptation of calling them. I am leaning towards the Featherland #2436 with the external feeding device.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Sorry, it is not my cage, I use Expandable Habitats cages.

Birdmom12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I just joined the forum - I guess I'm a little late for this discussion...I have a brand new Expandable Habitats cage I'm looking to sell. I think it's a great cage. There was just some miscommunication between the company and myself..I bought it for an umbrella cockatoo. I'm checking to see if there's any interest on this forum prior to breaking it down and shipping it back to the company. Whoever decided to purchase it would have to travel to GA...Outside dimensions are 4' x 2' 9" x 6'6" (inside 4' x 2'6" x 5'2" tall). Stainless steel, double welded bars. comes with 4 46oz bowls, 2 perches, padlocks...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thinking about getting Louise a new cage. Her's is old, has some rust spots and is not the easiest to clean. Looking at and Avian Adventures Mediana. Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop - by BirdsComfort.com
A couple of the reviews say the bars are flimsy/hard to attach perches to. Any experience with that? I like the play top and the shelf on the bottom--mainly why I am looking a AA.
Are powder coated cages easier to clean than SS? And do you think the pearl white color would show less than platinum? I like the platinum because my house has lots of stainless steel...would love a SS cage but am concerned that it will be harder to clean and is pretty pricey.
Last question.... where have folks found the best bargains?
thanks for any advice.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@SweetLouise I have 3 Medianas, 1 dometop and 2 playtops. Bars are not flimsy and never had any issues attaching perches although sometimes there is a very slight amount of flex. Only major issues I have had were rust on one of them and receiving unpolished stainless steel bowls. Both of these issues were rectified. Sometimes the tabs will be bent a bit but that is easily fixed with a blunt nose pliers. I believe I got all of the cages from Wayfair and had discount codes so that the prices were less. All of the Medianas I have are platinum but I do have white and ruby Chiquitas and a white Loro Flight. The platinum color is a dark grey and it's textured. White powder dust is noticeable on my Goffin's Mediana . As for the AA white cages I have, dirt is more visible than on the platinum ones.