• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I bought a SS cage from Kings less than two years ago and sent it back right away. Not the quality I wanted. The price was very reasonable for what it was I guess. I ended up with Animal Environments at over double the money. Anyway I actually have one of the Kings Cages here, identical to what I returned. I borrowed it six months ago from a friend, matte finish and less than two years old. It's on my outside porch, which has a covered roof. The first thing I did was order commercial wheels because the original wheels were horrible and not strong enough for this heavy cage and totally rusted in less than one week being in the weather! The door lock is solid rust! This of course was not made of stainless steel. Let me say this, it had very little surface rust on it when I got it. For a cage never being outside I was surprise any rust. I hired a man to polish the cage and then wash down and dry with a soft cloth before using it and putting it outside. This cage was never used outdoors before now. In less than a week the entire cage has surface rust. I did continue to wipe off the cage about once a week but I have lost the battle. It now need some real polishing big time. I am happy to say the stainless wheels have no rust and holding up nicely to the weather. I only use this cage for putting one of my birds outside for a little indirect sun under roof a couple of times a weeks. She loves it and she like the fresh air and water view. Hopes this helps anyone in the market. I know the cost of SS cages is all over the place. I think if this cage was inside it would probably be fine. The finish on the cage is just fair. Grinding marks on many places of the cage. The true test of a stainless steel cage is to put it outside for sure! I really hate it that most companies do a SS cage and then put junk wheels and locks on it. I spent almost two hundred on the wheels but now I can move it about myself. They are all stainless steel 4.5" heavy duty rubber. Work well on deck. Funny thing is I volunteer at a local rescue and they must have at least forty cages of all brands. The wheels are bent, broken on 75% of the cages. Hard work to move and clean. I think they all use the same wheels! JUNK!

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
I mean there are "prettier" cages out there but in terms of quality, customer service, functionality and ease of clean..plus not having to replace the cage (like you do with powder coated due to rust or birds stripping the coating) EH for me wins hands down.

I really do love EH cages now after having this one! Really hard to beat the amazing customer service, ease of cleaning/changing cage papers and how roomy it is!! You might want to check out @lotus15 blogLola’s cage | Search Results | Coco's Flock I really love looking at her set up for her EH cage! She has some great pics of basically every angle of her EH Cages if you scroll through and/or search for EH cage reviews on her blog.
I was wondering about the cleaning - my powder coated metal pans cleaned pretty well - that's why I was considering the SS bottoms available through AE - the temporary cage (albeit not a bird cage) has a plastic pan and it's a pain to clean. How are the pans to clean - I know you have the paper - but if something did get on the plastic - I wouldn't want to have problems cleaning it.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
As an update to the King's cages place of manufacture. I finally spoke to Andrew King regarding where his SS cages are now being made. Today, all of the matte finish SS cages are manufactured in the Czech republic. Apparently, a couple of years or so ago, King's tried manufacturing of these in China. They had problems with the 304 stainless that was being used, it was not as advertised and could rust. So they then moved manufacturing back to the Czech republic and are using Swedish/German 304 SS for these cages. Andrew said these cages all have the matte finish. Cages that have a bright finish would be the earlier ones made in China. None of this information pertains to powder coated cages - I didn't get into that as I would never use that type of cage for my parrot. Hope this clears the air.
That's what I was told as well - I did read where the wheels aren't the best - need heavier duty wheels since the cage size is bigger than my previous through Kings. The price is comparable to the EH cages - it would solve the problem of wanting a fancier style cage- and it's similar to what they had before. But, I must admit the EH cages are starting to grow on me. Still a tough choice - my birds are wondering why it's taking me so long - LOL -

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I was wondering about the cleaning - my powder coated metal pans cleaned pretty well - that's why I was considering the SS bottoms available through AE - the temporary cage (albeit not a bird cage) has a plastic pan and it's a pain to clean. How are the pans to clean - I know you have the paper - but if something did get on the plastic - I wouldn't want to have problems cleaning it.
The plastic pan underneath the kraft paper is super easy to clean...not much gets on it but whatever crumbs get on it vacuum right up and I take it outside to wash it regularly. With the EH you can request SS pans instead of plastic for an added charge like @Stormcloud did. My grate is a drop in as opposed to the pull out which I thought I would hate but it's so easy to wipe clean that it's no biggie...I hate cleaning the grate on my powder coated cage though and can't wait to get a second EH cage!

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@vmashley03 does your tray get discolored from the wetness of droppings?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
As an update to the King's cages place of manufacture. I finally spoke to Andrew King regarding where his SS cages are now being made. Today, all of the matte finish SS cages are manufactured in the Czech republic. Apparently, a couple of years or so ago, King's tried manufacturing of these in China. They had problems with the 304 stainless that was being used, it was not as advertised and could rust. So they then moved manufacturing back to the Czech republic and are using Swedish/German 304 SS for these cages. Andrew said these cages all have the matte finish. Cages that have a bright finish would be the earlier ones made in China. None of this information pertains to powder coated cages - I didn't get into that as I would never use that type of cage for my parrot. Hope this clears the air.

Great to know. Thank you for double checking. I think many people will be happy about that!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
That's what I was told as well - I did read where the wheels aren't the best - need heavier duty wheels since the cage size is bigger than my previous through Kings. The price is comparable to the EH cages - it would solve the problem of wanting a fancier style cage- and it's similar to what they had before. But, I must admit the EH cages are starting to grow on me. Still a tough choice - my birds are wondering why it's taking me so long - LOL -
For those of you who live in the US, I cannot understand why you wouldn't buy a product that is manufactured in the US, especially when you have a manufacturer who is prepared to customise the cage to your specifications, including the grade of SS used (I got type 316). I had SS trays manufactured because it would be very expensive to ship replacements to Australia due to their size. I shipped two EH cages halfway around the world and have never regretted it. I don't know anyone who has purchased an EH cage that has a bad thing to say about them. I'm buggered if I know why anyone would go anywhere else. Based upon the amount of complaints I see printed here from people who have purchased from Kings (direct), I think we should consider ourselves lucky they don't manufacture condoms. ;)

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
For those of you who live in the US, I cannot understand why you wouldn't buy a product that is manufactured in the US, especially when you have a manufacturer who is prepared to customise the cage to your specifications, including the grade of SS used (I got type 316). I had SS trays manufactured because it would be very expensive to ship replacements to Australia due to their size. I shipped two EH cages halfway around the world and have never regretted it. I don't know anyone who has purchased an EH cage that has a bad thing to say about them. I'm buggered if I know why anyone would go anywhere else. Based upon the amount of complaints I see printed here from people who have purchased from Kings (direct), I think we should consider ourselves lucky they don't manufacture condoms. ;)
That's why I've been checking out the places here - made in USA very important to me - but $$ was tight - but then again - with SS there's really no price savings. I guess it's just decision overload after having to redo my entire house after the hurricane. what's the difference in the 316? I mentioned getting the SS pan and everyone said that would be too heavy to pull out and clean - now I hear they offer a drop in grate and a pull out grate - oh dear more decisions - LOL

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
If that is a concern, use the paper that is polycoated on one side.
Do they offer two types, I didn't notice on their site - but that would help - I know I tired newspaper in my powder coated, it was more of a mess than the droppings - and the powder coated grate was terrible to clean - I ended up taking it out.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
316 should be used if you are near salt water because it is so corrosive

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
316 should be used if you are near salt water because it is so corrosive
I'm 300 feet off the bay - that's how I lost my other cages - even though I cleaned them after the flooding - they still corroded. I did notice areas on the cage and my stove that had problems with some rust even before the hurricane. Does EH provide a variety of SS grades - I only saw the 304 on their site.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I know they have made them in the past, I remember her mentioning they did that for people in Florida. You are best to talk to Tricia. Knowing her, when she would learn that someone lives in that type of environment, she would bring that up, using a marine grade which would be more expensive but then the customer can decide which route they want to take.

Did a little looking around on their web site and found it Check out this page under Commonly Asked Questions

Expandable Habitats - Product Information

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
I know they have made them in the past, I remember her mentioning they did that for people in Florida. You are best to talk to Tricia. Knowing her, when she would learn that someone lives in that type of environment, she would bring that up, using a marine grade which would be more expensive but then the customer can decide which route they want to take.

Did a little looking around on their web site and found it Check out this page under Commonly Asked Questions

Expandable Habitats - Product Information
Good morning - thank you I totally missed that - I thought when I was doing my original research I found someone that offered 3 grades of SS - thought it was the guy out West (forgot the company name).

Thanks again and have a great day :)

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You're welcome, glad that I can help. The more I thought of it, I knew it would be on there somewhere and have to admit I never read that page either as I have been totally sold on their cages for years. When time came that I needed a second cage (2006) I did not even look around to see if there was anything else out there better since I bought the first one (1994) and I am the type that has to go out there and shop, touch and feel everything out there under the sun before I hand over my money. I called Tricia up and said make me another one.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
You're welcome, glad that I can help. The more I thought of it, I knew it would be on there somewhere and have to admit I never read that page either as I have been totally sold on their cages for years. When time came that I needed a second cage (2006) I did not even look around to see if there was anything else out there better since I bought the first one (1994) and I am the type that has to go out there and shop, touch and feel everything out there under the sun before I hand over my money. I called Tricia up and said make me another one.
I was focused on the looks - and was sold on the AE cages - but the more I look at the EH cages and the variety of set ups – plus the convenience of the paper roll - perhaps simplistic design will fit nicely in my living room - I've been working late - and I missed calling Tricia today - I was all set to call and ask her opinion and pricing difference between the 304 and 316 - and start the ordering process. I wish I could afford one of the outside aviaries - perhaps one day - :)

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran

That's very true; A&E actually has a presence on the forum now and they have made a serious effort to improve customer service. I personally however would like to see more effort in improving cage build and quality.
Saw a couple A&E cages at our local bird store today. They are extremely solid and well made. They have a victorian stand that could use a little help stability wise (that or the floor was a little uneven which wouldn't surprise me), but I went over 3 different models while there (some for conures, some for cockatoos, and a macaw cage) and they all seemed well put together with good strong bar size. Just an update since I was able to get hands on:)