• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Anyone own a cage by Tucker Murphy or know anything about this company? I need a bigger travel cage for my budgies and considering this one Wayfair.ca - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More - it's an imitation of the Prevue Hendryx Hampton cage. I can't find any information about the company Tucker Murphy Pets, and there's not a whole lot of reviews out there, but what reviews they do have are pretty good.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Anyone own a cage by Tucker Murphy or know anything about this company? I need a bigger travel cage for my budgies and considering this one Wayfair.ca - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More - it's an imitation of the Prevue Hendryx Hampton cage. I can't find any information about the company Tucker Murphy Pets, and there's not a whole lot of reviews out there, but what reviews they do have are pretty good.
Tucker Murphy is owned by Wayfair, so I'm guessing it's made by Prevue Hendyrx for their private label.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Ah, I suspected that @Mizzely and I'm hoping, too, that the cages are made by Prevue Hendryx. Thanks for confirming! Cage prices in Canada have skyrocketed, and Prevue Hendryx prices especially. The Tucker Murphy prices are a tad more reasonable.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Can we add Petsfella to the cage source list? They are a Canada-based source for cages and have frequent sales and discounts.

I own their stacked flight cage as well as a set of 4, 30x18 breeder cages (for travel) and I have been pleased with both the cages and customer service.

jeffsf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeff
I didn't expect to be looking for a cage with an Expandable Habitats cage that our African Gray loves. I found their product a few years ago thanks to this site. We ended up with a bit of a surprise when a Pionus maximilian had its owner pass and unexpectedly end up on our doorstep. After quickly doubling up on our Top's order and figuring out how to manage water (cage bottle), "Max" perked up. After a couple weeks of carrying on conversations every time we were around, one morning we got "What's your name? Martini." Since neither I nor my wife would have used martini in conversation, Martini it is! Pretty fitting for an olive bird with a red dot of a tail.

That was the least of the surprises.

NB: This is current in September 2022 and some of these fabricators may have returned to production at a later date.

Unfortunately, Expandable Habitats is taking a break due to the cost of stainless steel and we haven't been able to find one used. I've dug through the thread here and Bennet's is also taking a break.

If going with powdercoated cages, Avian Adventures, according to a call I placed to Midwest, is no longer available.

Of the production stainless steel cages, Caitec (Featherland?) seems to have some QC/shipping issues based on a 2022 review on Amazon US. There are a couple Prevue stainless steel cages (3455, 3457) that are available.

Are there any reasonably priced stainless options that I've missed?

Used is an option, but we haven't had much luck even with finding powdercoated cages that are both large enough and don't need to be sandblasted and recoated. (We're too far to drive to Wisconsin, unfortunately)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I didn't expect to be looking for a cage with an Expandable Habitats cage that our African Gray loves. I found their product a few years ago thanks to this site. We ended up with a bit of a surprise when a Pionus maximilian had its owner pass and unexpectedly end up on our doorstep. After quickly doubling up on our Top's order and figuring out how to manage water (cage bottle), "Max" perked up. After a couple weeks of carrying on conversations every time we were around, one morning we got "What's your name? Martini." Since neither I nor my wife would have used martini in conversation, Martini it is! Pretty fitting for an olive bird with a red dot of a tail.

That was the least of the surprises.

NB: This is current in September 2022 and some of these fabricators may have returned to production at a later date.

Unfortunately, Expandable Habitats is taking a break due to the cost of stainless steel and we haven't been able to find one used. I've dug through the thread here and Bennet's is also taking a break.

If going with powdercoated cages, Avian Adventures, according to a call I placed to Midwest, is no longer available.

Of the production stainless steel cages, Caitec (Featherland?) seems to have some QC/shipping issues based on a 2022 review on Amazon US. There are a couple Prevue stainless steel cages (3455, 3457) that are available.

Are there any reasonably priced stainless options that I've missed?

Used is an option, but we haven't had much luck even with finding powdercoated cages that are both large enough and don't need to be sandblasted and recoated. (We're too far to drive to Wisconsin, unfortunately)
What a cute story! I'm stuck in the bind with EH not being available too and am totally bummed. I've been in talk with the owners because we have six of them now. My Ekkie breeder sold me one of her EH cages that she was using for an MM2 pair that she no longer has. It's three kits long (79"x 48"x60"). We brought it home in May and are still moving all sorts of stuff around so we can set up two of the kits together to make a smaller cage and I was hoping to buy another kit so we could create another EH cage and found out that EH is currently not taking orders but I asked her, begged her, to keep me in the back of her mind. We still want at least four more of their standard cages too and are in the middle of selling my condo, so once that's taken care of, I'm going to go back and beg! LOL!

I would think that a powder coated cage would work for a Pi and suggest Kings...that would be my next favorite cage after the EH cages. We have a lot of greys and over the years, they have just demolished the powder coating on so many of our powder coated cages that I won't house them in anything but SS. We've been replacing all of our cages over the years with EH cages just because I love them so much though. I do have two Kings cages available for resale in the flea market area here but they both have one inch bar spacing and I'm thinking that bar spacing wouldn't work well with a Pi unless you have a bigger one. My 380 gram Timneh does well with one inch bar spacing. Even my 250 gram Lilac Crown Amazon is ok with the inch bar spacing so it would depend. The smaller Kings cage I have is a powder coated one, but I do have a huge SS Kings European cage and I'd be willing to sell it for a steal if you're interested.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Just got our "Tucker Murphy" cage from Mayfair....it's an A&E cage, just rebranded for their site. Interestingly, the box is printed A&E, but the model number is an HQ...they are made in the same factory side by side. Most of the cages on Wayfair are A&E or HQ.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just got our "Tucker Murphy" cage from Mayfair....it's an A&E cage, just rebranded for their site. Interestingly, the box is printed A&E, but the model number is an HQ...they are made in the same factory side by side. Most of the cages on Wayfair are A&E or HQ.
They've been selling cages under different names for a while now. They used to sell Avian Adventures cages as Tucker Murphy, too. At one point they were selling cages using the REAL manufacturers' names.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
They've been selling cages under different names for a while now. They used to sell Avian Adventures cages as Tucker Murphy, too. At one point they were selling cages using the REAL manufacturers' names.
Yep, Wayfair does the same thing with furniture, ceiling fans, and many other items. It makes it very hard to price match with other sites for the exact same item when they've "rebranded" everything.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder who chooses the names. Most of the names are a bit strange/silly. I wish that the people who create the cage photos would stop shrinking the bird photos to make it appear as if they would fit into cages that are actually too small for them.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I wonder who chooses the names. Most of the names are a bit strange/silly. I wish that the people who create the cage photos would stop shrinking the bird photos to make it appear as if they would fit into cages that are actually too small for them.
OMG, Amazon does that too and it drives me nuts! Seeing a miniature blue and gold macaw inside a cage meant for a GCC is hilarious to me, because I can tell by the dimensions that it's a crock, but I hate it for people with less experience. I see the dimensions of a cage and I know in my head exactly how big it is and what birds it would be appropriate for, but not everyone has that experience.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hello everyone! Has anyone ordered a cage from Bird Cages for less? I just ordered a new cage and I didn't get an estimate on how long it would take to arrive. I'm curious what your experiences have been with shipping.
My sweet Taz's cage is sooooooo old. I found a few rust spots and it has a brocken caster so it's time for it to go. I found a nearly identical cage to hers and ordered it. My son has the same cage for his Goffin's Cockatoo and it works well.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Hello everyone! Has anyone ordered a cage from Bird Cages for less? I just ordered a new cage and I didn't get an estimate on how long it would take to arrive. I'm curious what your experiences have been with shipping.
My sweet Taz's cage is sooooooo old. I found a few rust spots and it has a brocken caster so it's time for it to go. I found a nearly identical cage to hers and ordered it. My son has the same cage for his Goffin's Cockatoo and it works well.
BirdCages4Less actually had a secret little storefront here in Phoenix for years, I'm not sure if it's still there. I've purchased cages from them before, but never had them shipped, I always picked them up. They are a very legit company, though, and have been in business for many years. Hoping they ship quickly!

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
BirdCages4Less actually had a secret little storefront here in Phoenix for years, I'm not sure if it's still there. I've purchased cages from them before, but never had them shipped, I always picked them up. They are a very legit company, though, and have been in business for many years. Hoping they ship quickly!
Thanks caspin22! I sent them an email asking about shipping and they responded very quickly. They said I should get shipping confirmation within 2 days! I can't wait to get the new digs for Taz. She's a sweetheart!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Thanks caspin22! I sent them an email asking about shipping and they responded very quickly. They said I should get shipping confirmation within 2 days! I can't wait to get the new digs for Taz. She's a sweetheart!
Woo hoo, that's great! Which cage did you pick?

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Woo hoo, that's great! Which cage did you pick?
I purchased the Lani Kai Playtop Large Bird Cage in green. Taz is 29 years old (will be 30 years old Jan. 29th, 2024). She hatched on the day of the Northridge earthquake back in 1994 here in So Cal. Her current cage is green and has a playtop so I wanted to get her something similar. I was shocked that I could find one the same exact size as her old cage. She's been with me for 19 years and I absolutely adore her!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Wow! I just got a shipping notification that my cage will be delivered today! I only ordered it two days ago. That's lightning fast!
That's fantastic, can't wait to see it! I had a cage delivered today too - a big flight cage for my little cockatiel herd....will be assembling it as soon as I'm done with work!!