• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<UPDATE>Tequila's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Tequila is doing very well. He is moving to different perches now and wanting to come out of his cage which I have been limiting to me holding him so far. So how do we migrate from sickness to recovery? How do I know if I am letting him go too fast? Our follow up appointment if Friday so I will ask the vet these questions but wanted some other feedback from people who have been through a sickness with their birds. I cut back on one handfeeding to see if he keeps his weight steady. He is eating on his own. I will handfeed him tonight before he goes to bed but omitted his noon feeding today. Should I still be limiting his activity? How do I acclimate him away from the heat lamp to normal house temp? I am thinking if he gets a green light from the vet I will move him back with the other birds on Friday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Re: Tequila's Recovery Thread

I let Percy do what he wants while they are sick they will limit them self naturaly I would slowly move the lamp a little father away to one side and see if he perches away from the lamp let him be the guide :hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

So glad Tequila is feeling better and eating and moving around in the cage a bit.

It is good he will still have some days yet to rest and build up his strength before going back to the vet.

I know in people, they feel ok but inside thier bodies have just begun repairing as evidenced by all the chest x-rays I do of people recovering from pneumonia. They may feel really good but thier x-rays still don't look super. It takes time for the body to heal.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Thank you both. That is what I am worried about, that he thinks he is ready for more, but he really isnt. I am going to try and keep him resting/restricted until at least Friday. Kristy when Solo had pneumonia did he have a follow up xray at some point?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

I think that is a good idea as much as he may not be thrilled about it.

Cells can only recover so fast, Birds are built for survival and will do almost anything to not look sick.

I hope he has been a good bedmate for you Pat!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

Kristy when Solo had pneumonia did he have a follow up xray at some point?
No and in general they don't do one so soon if they will at all, no change will show most likely in a week.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

LOL he has been an awesome bed mate! No snoring!! :hehe: I actually have liked him in our bedroom with us. One thing too is I have been putting him to bed earlier than the other birds so I get a little reprieve from trying to give attention to three at the same time.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

The others may not want him back. lol

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

The others may not want him back. lol
:hehe:maybe not. The living room looks good,you dont realize how much room these cages take until one is out of there. I miss him in the living room though. :(

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Pat, Bonnie is still in her own cage...she is near Clyde but I was afraid she would over due it so kept them apart...after her check up next week, I will move them together again. I think it is better to be safe...and keep them calm.

I am sooo glad Tequila is feeling better.:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Pat, I'm another one who is saying just keep him where he is and quiet....When I have had a sick bird, I don't put them back with the rest for a good week to ten days after they have come off meds....I want to see how they are doing, eating, pooping, playing, contact calls, etc....I want to make sure there are no re laps....:hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

I have to agree with the others Pat, keep him where he is a few more days and keep and eye one him. You are seeing him feel real good from the antibiotics right now but they can go down hill if you rush the healing process.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Thank you everyone. That is why I was asking because I have never dealt with this before. I will keep him where he is for several more days then.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Tequila is still doing good, appetite not 100% back to normal but he is eating his normal foods. His follow up with the vet is in one hour. I hope everything is on the right path to his normal health.

birdman78

Real Name
John

Tequila is still doing good, appetite not 100% back to normal but he is eating his normal foods. His follow up with the vet is in one hour. I hope everything is on the right path to his normal health.
I'm so glad to hear he is on a good path of recovery. Your doing so well with him. Keep it up. :hug8:

Quest

Real Name
Judy

Hope the vet visit goes well. Glad to hear he is doing well. Thanks for the update.
Judy

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)

Thanks for the update, Pat! I hope his vet visit goes well!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Pat, so very happy to hear Tequila is improving, waiting for update after your vet visit. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

I am glad to hear that is continuing to improve. I wouldn't stop him completely but I would limit him so that he has time to heal. I did that with Squeeky when he got sick on me as a baby.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
OK so we are back from the vet. When I opened his door in the office, he climbed right out and when the doctor tried to examine him a flew from him. He is very encouraged by what he saw. Said his breathing sounded better and he could hear his heart better. He wants to keep him on baytril another week. His main concern is that he starts eating more and putting back on his weight. He has been hovering around 130-133 and he started at 140 when this started. He wants me to give him an update in a week or sooner if things change for the worst. We are going to repeat the bloodwork in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.