• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

**Update Post 60**Piper's hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Piper just launched herself from the window and crashed hard. She hit right into the side of the TV and entertainment center. She righted herself and is now puffed up and holding one wing slightly loose. I picked her up and she seems really really out of it. The moment I had her up she threw up and flailed a bit as I tried to get a closer look at her. I just called the vet hospital and the doctor that sees birds comes in at 11AM. They said to keep her in her carrier and in quiet but not to up the heat for her in case she has a concussion and swelling. Is this right??? It sounds right, but normally I see people saying always keep the bird warm. I don't know what to do! :( I can take her now, but the only vet there now just sees cats and dogs. I don't want to drag her to the vet and have her stressed out MORE for an hour and a half waiting for the avian vet or one who doesn't see birds trying to help her and messing up. She's in her carrier now and seems very out of it and is making soft noises to herself. Does anyone here think I can wait another hour or should i take her in to see the non avian vet?? please please be okay Piper.

Last edited:

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
First off...calm down...I went through this few days ago :hug8:

Put her in a carrier and try not to disturb her too much. What's the time now where you live? How long do you have to wait until the AV is there?

For a couple hours, she WILL be out of it. If she's holding her wing down, than you have to take her to the vet ASAP. Usually B vitamins help, BUT if it's something really serious than she needs to be checked out.

I'm a bit puzzled by this no heating method...Usually heat helps...but if a vet told you not to keep her warm...

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh,I don't know. But I'm praying that she is alright.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I am very sorry this happened.
Personally, if it were me, I'd keep Piper calm/quiet and go to the vet - time the trip so that the avian vet is there.
In case of swelling, the vet needs to treat that ASAP.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
The avian vet gets there in just under an hour. The wings not being held loose, but it's definitely not tucked tight like her other wing. I've got the lights turned way down right now and I'm trying to keep everything calm. Including myself since I feel helpless right now. The not turning up the heat or giving her extra warmth sounds both right and not. Swelling normally is taken down by the cool, but I'm not 100% on avian biology. Most things seem to call for getting them in a warm calm place. Going to get ready to take her in. She just threw up a little again. :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope shes ok........please let us know.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keeping her warm and keeping her hot are two different things. Put your heating pad on the lowest setting and then slide it under only half the carrier. If she looks like she's fading you can give her a drop or two of corn syrup on her tongue with your finger. Prayers that it's nothing serious.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here's what I found about warmth therapy and concussions:

Depending on how severe the concussion is the avian vet will decide which drug is necessary. Back home, you should bring your bird into a calm room that can be shaded. The temperature should be around 21 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Fahrenheit).
Please note: In case of a concussion you should never try a warmth therapy (infrared lamp) without discussing this step with your avian vet! Indeed the warmth therapy is good for most sick birds but when the brain is injured/damaged it can make the disturbance of health even worse! Heath intensifies the blood circulation and this will increase the pressure inside the brain. This will cause more pain and sickness to the bird or even kill him in the worst case.

Birds Online - Health and diseases - Other diseases - Concussion

Tyger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Hugs and prayers for both you and Piper. Keep us updated when you get the chance.:(

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Here's what I found about warmth therapy and concussions:

Depending on how severe the concussion is the avian vet will decide which drug is necessary. Back home, you should bring your bird into a calm room that can be shaded. The temperature should be around 21 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Fahrenheit).
Please note: In case of a concussion you should never try a warmth therapy (infrared lamp) without discussing this step with your avian vet! Indeed the warmth therapy is good for most sick birds but when the brain is injured/damaged it can make the disturbance of health even worse! Heath intensifies the blood circulation and this will increase the pressure inside the brain. This will cause more pain and sickness to the bird or even kill him in the worst case.

Birds Online - Health and diseases - Other diseases - Concussion
THANK YOU!! That's what I thought, but birds seem to crave warmth so much I wasn't positive. Thank god, the house temp should be fine then for now.

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I hope Piper is ok :bluhug: You just need to keep calm for another hour...I know you feel helpless, but at the moment there isn't anything you can do, except get her ready to take her to the vet

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, Kristen, tell Piper this is NOT the way to start the weekend. Poor baby....I know hardly anything about birdie first aid...Every thing CAV said makes sense to me, though I've never heard about no extra heat after a suspected head injury, but that doesn't mean it's bad advice. I would just make sure he isn't TOO WARM--maybe extra heat will cause the brain to swell more than it would normally. In such a serious situation I would do exactly as the vet says--you trust him/her, right? Once she's in her carrier or sleep cage, I would try to contact Gary, he would know if there is anything to do that would help her & make her more comfortable (whether to offer her water, etc)--make sure the house isn't too cold, keep other animals out of the room in which you're waiting, & be sure the car is warmed up before you leave for vet. If there's someone else at home to keep YOU calm, that would be good--if you're alone, can you call someone to come over & help? Then, once she's all comfy, with a soft blankie or favorite soft toy in her cage (you being right there with her all the time), then you can research head trauma on internet. Calm down, take a deep breath, & give her (or him) all the calmness, strength, & love you can. I hope this helps a little, I know what you're going through. Again, I would do what vet says--you will do fine, & that's very important now. Remember, we are all here with you, & for you.:sadhug2:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Swelling of a body part is not bad as the tissue expands. If she hurt her head swelling can occur in the brain. Since the brain is surrounded by bone the swelling inside has no place to go. Seeing a vet can determine if something is needed. My B&G injured with a concusion went on metacam which does reduce swelling.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Thank you guys. I'm heading out now to the vet. I'll let you know what happens. :( Keep my little heathen in your thoughts. I just want her to be okay and have nothing serious wrong. I don't know what I'd do without her to boss me around.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Drive safe, Kristen. Saying prayers all will be well.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just seeing this Kristen! Your vet gave excellent advice. I hope all goes well and little Piper is soon home and healthy. Sending prayers. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.