• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

*Update Post #26*I have a call in to the vet but I need help and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
What does one do while waiting and pacing nervously for the vet appointment? One makes a St. Louis Ooey Gooey Butter Coffee Cake. Then one will eat it. Yes, I'm a nervous eater.

No bubbles in poop. Putting his travel cage together...I'll keep you all posted.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Have a safe journey and may it be good news.

Ginger

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Hoping to hear all is well.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Update (I have no idea how to put this in the title)

Kiwi is okay...Phew. Dr. Lackey (LOVE HER btw) believes the very slight tailbobbing is a pain response. No wheezing, or signs of a respiratory infection. She did notice that Kiwi is favoring his left foot/leg a bit but his grip is normal. She did a gram stain and will call me with the results. He weighed in at 171 grams and I was worried that he was over weight. She stated she doesn't go by weight charts she goes by muscle tone, the feel of the keel bone, etc and she stated that Kiwi was 'perfect'. She loves the diet he is on and doesn't want me to change a thing. There is a small possiblility he could be a hen so she told me what to keep an eye out for in case he/she may be getting ready to lay an egg, but she didn't feel anything. We chose not to do xrays or blood work at this time, though she does recommend that I get blood work done since Kiwi is 15 years old and has never seen the vet. I brought him home with instructions to keep him warm, keep an eye on him and to call her at anytime if there are any changes in his behavior, demeanor, stool or if I have any other concerns. I can give him gatorade or pedialyte. She strongly feels that he is just achy from his fall. She didn't want to prescribe him pain meds without blood work being done.

Kiwi was awesome. He didn't bite anyone and pooped for them which made testing the poop so much easier. He entertained them by talking in his little robotic voice and laying on his back. He took the throat swab like a champ.

Dr. Lackey was very impressed with the shape Kiwi was in, loved the two page information on diet, caging, playtime, cage cleaning, etc and asked if I was interested in maybe fostering birds that are always being brought in. I was flattered, intrigued and interested, but had to say no :( . Besides the fact that my husband would KILL me, I have way too much on my plate right now, money is tight with planning my daughter's wedding and ultimately that would take time away from my flock and they would lose out some. Maybe someday.....I've always wanted to foster, but I can't right now.

The office call was $50.00 and the Gram Stain was $33.00. If I do the Well Bird Exam ($154.00) bloodwork and/or xrays the estimate would be $237.00 to $296.00 which isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thank you all so very much for your help, your advice, your prayers, good thoughts and hugs. You all are the BEST BIRDIE FRIENDS ever!

The Ooey Gooey Butter Coffee Cake is delicious and a great comfort food, and now it's time to go wedding dress shopping.

Dr. Lackey just called with Kiwi's Gram Stain results. Everything looks good.....no yeast and no gram negative (?). Woot Woot

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awesome news! Hmm, now you can share that cake...yummy! Feel better little Kiwi bird!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
PHew!!!

Sounds like you have a great vet, one that lets people dump their unwanted on them. A true bird lover!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear things are good with Kiwi, your vet does sound awesome! :highfive:

(I updated you title for you too :D )

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Glad everything went well! :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so happy all is well! :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats wonderful! :hug8: Tail bobbing is never anything to be ashamed of "over reacting" to. Glad Kiwi if ok.....:) I dont know how to put "update" in the title either....:huh:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That is very good news. I am soooo glad he is okay and was a good bird.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This is good news...NOW about that cake:huh:.....where is the recipe:confused: How can we ENJOY:dance4: and Celebrate:dance5: the good news:laughing12: if WE can't have any:(...well at least give the recipe!:p

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome, so happy to hear favorable things about your Kiwi! :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad everything went ok bridgid:)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Super fantastic news. :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
So glad Kiwi is okay!! :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whew! So glad Kiwi did not seriously injure himself. Try and relax and enjoy your cake!:D:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.