• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

*Update Post #26*I have a call in to the vet but I need help and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I've got a call into the vet, just waiting for them to call me back.<br><br>Is "tail bobbing" always bad? &nbsp;Kiwi, my Sennie, is tail bobbing. &nbsp;I'm 99 percent sure even though I have never seen it before in person. &nbsp;Here is a pic

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Tail bobbing is the tail moving up and down when they are breathing. It's a sign of labored breathing. Can you hear anything if you hold him up to your ear? Is this a little hen? Zamir tail bobs right before she's getting ready to lay an egg.

Ginger

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Back story....10 days ago he got his wings clipped because he was being a demon and I was at my wits end (no judging please). Tuesday he and his fidlings spent the day outside in their cages, it was a beautiful, sunny day of 75 degrees. Wednesday he and the rest of flock hung out on playstands in the basement while I exercised and Kiwi got startled and fell to the floor, landed hard. He seemed to be fine, if a bit grouchy. He is playing normally, eating like a fiend and vocal. Not sure about his poops, I use newspaper so it's hard to tell. I did put paper towels down for easier viewing but he hasn't pooped yet. Last night I thought his tail 'looked funny'. He seemed normal. No fluffy up, being in corner. His breathing seems normal. This morning I had all out on stands for breakfast and his tail looking funny was very noticible when compared to the other birds. I googled a video and I am convinced it's tail bobbing. Should I be panicking?

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I can't tell if he's wheezing. He is picking at the top of his left wing so I think the clip is bothering him. I don't know his sex so I have no clue if he is a hen. He is 15 years old. He doesn't look like he is gasping or struggling to breathe but the tail is moving up and down.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would take him in into the Avian vets today. If he crashed hard he may have hurt something. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Observe you bird for labored or difficulty in breathing. If in distress you may be able to hear a raspy, gasping or other abnormal sounds. Since you have already called the vet keep you bird warm and hydrated until you can see your avian vet. Tell the vet about all your observations when you talk to him on the phone.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have nothing to offer but a big :hug8: and praying he is ok.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks you all. The vet wants to see him so we are going in at 2:30pm. It is 12:24pm now. 2 hours to wait. I've been trying to listen to his breathing but he will either do his 'growl', his 'trill', or try biting my ear. Silly bird. I am probably over reacting and he is fine. I'm hoping I'll laugh about this later, like when I rushed Max to the vet because he was coughing and sneezing and it turned out he was imitating my family who had been sick back to back with a terrible cold. I will not panic, I will not panic, I will not panic.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I would rather see you have to laugh about it than go into the weekend where a vet may not be available........:)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
As it's unusual for your bird, the vet is a good idea. Hope he's okay. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
am glad you are taking him in to be seen and like Gary would rather that you be laughing later than scrambling over the weekend

sending prayers and healing energy for Kiwi and big :hug8: for you

will be looking for an update later this afternoon :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers coming your way that it's not anything serious.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many hugs on the way..I say better safe than sorry...unfortunately years ago a tiel of mine hit a wall, seemed fine and died a week later...please do not take a chance and let us know how it goes. :hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I agree Gary. I'd rather be laughing then crying later. Right now he is on his playstand acting normal and preening himself. I think he is enjoying his time on the stand with his 'brothers' all in their cages.

He finally pooped, this is the best pic I could get....

Attachments

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I agree, listen to your instinct. You know when your fids are not being themselves. Something to ask your vet about if Kiwi's breathing checks out fine is if he could have landed wrong and hurt his tail/bumm causing what you have observed as his tail 'looking funny'. :sadhug2:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
:hug8:The poop looks healthy, I hope you get to the vet soon, I'm waiting now, too...lol Its a long wait...I hope everything's okay..Goodluck!:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: Praying everything checks out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.