• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

*Update Post #23* Holly bit Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
Holly bit Yoshi on her beak. :( It happened so fast and I feel terrible! :( Yoshi was in the kitchen with me while I was making their dinner and Emmy flew in. By the time I got Emmy back to her cage I realized Yoshi was no longer in the kitchen and just as I went to find her I heard her make this aweful shriek. I ran into the room Holly's cage is in and Yoshi was flying around, I didnt even know Holly was out she crawled through her feeder doors which I was negligant to shut.
Her beak looks pretty banged up, on one side there is a little gap. There was some blood, but I inspected and I think Holly broke a blood feather on Yoshi's face because there didnt appear to be an open wound. Yoshi is deffinitly sore, my biggest concern is getting her to eat. I mixed her veggies in warm oatmeal and she was nippling at it. Should I syringe feed her?

I grabbed some quick pics, they are aweful and my hands were shakey, but hopefully you can somewhat see it. I got lucky with my stupidity this time, it couldve been a lot worse. Any advice is very appreciated!!

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
She needs to go to the vet. There was just a thread on FB about how it may look okay from the outside but be crushed on the inside. I would get her to the vet ASAP.

Ginger

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
oh poor baby :( i hope everything will be alright, i'll be thinking about her! :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Cayenne pepper will help any pain and help avoid infection. I would call your vet. :sadhug2:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,poor Yoshi. I hope the vet is able to see her soon,praying for a swift recovery.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm with the others on this one, I would call the vet.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please try and relax!

If you have GSE, mixed 6 drops in a cup of water and cleanse the wound. The would may not be as bad as you think but you have to clean it first. If there is any blood I would put cayenne paste on the area that is bleeding. doing so will provide pain relief and help with infection.

From my experience most beak wounds heal without problems. You need to keep an eye on the wound for signs of infections.

If in doubt call you avian vet.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Good luck, let us know what happens....Poor Baby..:hug8:

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I agree with others who say to take her to the vet. My Meyer's bit my cockatiel's beak last year and there was very little blood. In fact, I wasn't even sure where the small amount of blood was coming from and she didn't seem to be acting injured. However, because I couldn't tell where the blood was coming from, it freaked me out and I rushed her to the overnight emergency vet. It turns out her bottom beak was broken - my Meyer's bit her in just the right spot to break the beak away from where it attaches to the skin.
I was sobbing when the vet gave me the news. The sense of guilt I felt (and still do) was horrible. Moe's beak has never completely healed and she needs her food softened for her on a daily basis, but overall, I realize it could have been a lot worse :(
I hope Yoshi is okay and heals quickly!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Zach, how is Yoshi doing today?:hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping for a good update,I've been thinking about her since I saw the post.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww poor little tyke.. Just wanted to see how little Yoshi is feeling today? Sending over healing vibes.. :hug8:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I hope Yoshi feels better soon. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Beak injuries shouldn't be taken lightly. I would also take her to the vet. :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Zach did you take Yoshi to the vet?

How is Yoshi doing?

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Checking in on sweet little Yoshi, hopefully you have been able to get in with the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.