• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*Update Post #110* Come Hatch With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today, my father brought me some chicken eggs to hatch, ten to be exact, from his small Delaware flock. If all goes well, the ones that develop all the way should begin to pip on the 6th of February. Here they are, all snug in their electronic "hen" :).

Attachments

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh now that made me laugh *electronic hen*:lol:I can't wait to see if they hatch.Will you keep them Holiday or will they go back to your dad?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh now that made me laugh *electronic hen*:lol:I can't wait to see if they hatch.Will you keep them Holiday or will they go back to your dad?
Oh, I would love to keep them, but I don't have the proper facilities here. So, they'll go back to Dad. But, I will "grow them out" for him for a month or so before then, so I get to keep them while they are cute :hehe:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh great can't wait to see the updates...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh great can't wait to see the updates...
I should be able to do the first candle in about four days. I'll post the first update then :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:yah: this will be fun!!!

we got fertile eggs one year so the boys could watch them hatch

out of 2 dozen, 13 hatched and every last one was a rooster :faint:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:yah: this will be fun!!!

we got fertile eggs one year so the boys could watch them hatch

out of 2 dozen, 13 hatched and every last one was a rooster :faint:
13 roosters! :eek: Oh boy, GG, that's some bad luck! Here's hoping I get a few little girlies out of this batch.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you're not kidding - I had to rehome all of them, I was hoping for a few hens to keep out of all those eggs :lol:

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Awwwww! Those little eggies are so cute all tucked in and warm! I can't wait for updates too! Little chicks are precious! :swoon:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Having urban chickens has become quite the trendy thing to do lately. Fresh eggs, bug control, fertilizer for the garden. I would like to have a couple of hens and rooster.

Ginger

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Having urban chickens has become quite the trendy thing to do lately. Fresh eggs, bug control, fertilizer for the garden. I would like to have a couple of hens and rooster.

Ginger
Yes, I know of many people who keep a few backyard hens. :) And the smaller, fancy varieties are as pretty as they are useful. Roosters, on the other hand, are pretty loud, and you'd have to have understanding neighbors, LOL. But, some people really love to hear a rooster crow. I can hear my neighbor's rooster in the distance some days. It's a treat to hear him. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
roosters also need more than a couple of hens to 'keep busy' ;)

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
lol aww thats great make sure to post pics when you see the first little hair line :) can that brand of incubator hatch parrot eggs? b/c I really like them especially with the EZ scope :)

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
can that brand of incubator hatch parrot eggs? b/c I really like them especially with the EZ scope :)
Yes, this brand could hatch parrot eggs, although I've not had any parrot eggs to try with :) It's a great incubator, though, for small hatches, practically does all the work for you. I just have to add water :cool1: (well, unless I decide to do the turning myself--which I sometimes do).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How cool is this! I am eggcited!!:dance4: I love baby chicks.:)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
I can't wait till they hatch how eggciting!! :dance4: Hey Carole we post eggcited/eggciting at the very same time!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update #1:

I did the first candle this evening. Since I'm an experienced candler, I can tell what's going on fairly well even at this early stage of the game--I know how the yolk should look, know exactly what the tiny embryo looks like (if it can be seen at all), and how to recognize a broken air space, etc. One egg had a broken air sac, which moved around like a bubble. In my experience, eggs like this do not hatch. Also, I noticed that though the shell was very light, I could not see the "tiny red spider" which indicates the beginning veins of an embryo; additionally, I noticed some dried liquid near the large end of the egg. So, I removed the egg, cracked it, and sure enough, it was bad. It's important to remove eggs like this so that they don't have an opportunity to leak into and contaminate the incubator.

So, 9 left on day 3. I did note the sure signs of early development in a few of the eggs whose shells were light enough for me to see through with my makeshift candler (I used to have a much better, brighter one, but I'm making do with a maglight at the moment). It looks like some of the eggs have very porous shells, which is not a good thing, but there ought to be a few that make it all the way :)

At this early stage, all eggs are given the benefit of any doubt whatsoever. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cool and interesting update!:highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.