• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE> :(Please help crash!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Re: Please help crash!!!!!!

Jennifer, I have just helped though I'm sorry it couldn't be the full amount. Keep me updated on his progress :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Jennifer, I have just helped though I'm sorry it couldn't be the full amount. Keep me updated on his progress :hug8:
OMG thank you so much I am in tears this will help so much! He will be in the vet in the morning for his radiograph.

pga7602

Jogging around the block

Hi Jen... Some money coming your way. Hope it adds up. Hang in there... :hug8:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily

Oh Jen! I really, really, really wish i could help you out but my parents are into this whole `No spending money on the internet` thing and they`re away so I can`t talk them into letting me help :(

I will be thinking of you and Cash! :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

What about H and R block for your taxes, you can get a check that day.
My mom handles the taxes I am completey dumb when it comes to them and she does turbo tax and has them half way done and my mom is a firm believer that she doesn't need to pay someone for what she can do herself.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Hi Jen... Some money coming your way. Hope it adds up. Hang in there... :hug8:
Thank you thank you thank you I usually don't panic like this but he is really really bad. I am keeping him warm in a hospital cage. I don't exactly know what a radio graph is that they need to do in the morning, I thought maybe a like an X ray of soft tissue to see where the infection is at. She didn't think it was contagious to the other birds. I can't thank you guys enough!:hug8:

Chewy

Real Name
Erin

Oh Jen! I really, really, really wish i could help you out but my parents are into this whole `No spending money on the internet` thing and they`re away so I can`t talk them into letting me help :(

I would help with half at least if I coudl but I don't have that money. And my parents are the same way as Emmilyy's

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

I am not allowed to post the details on here, please visit my website to read about and hopefully help crash. I am hysterical and I have not other options left. Click on the link below.

Jenn,

I just sent a donation. Sorry it couldn't be more but every little bit hopes!:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Thank you for your healing thoughts though! Every little bit towards him helps thank you!

I would help with half at least if I coudl but I don't have that money. And my parents are the same way as Emmilyy's

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Don't know if these resources will help, but worth a look:

This one is a link Dottie posted about payment plans for veterinary care

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...-payment-plans-financing-veterinary-care.html

This one has several links for ideas and places that may offer assistance for emergency vet care, and for rescue organizations in particular. They seem to focus on cats and dogs, but some may help with birds too. Can't hurt to check or ask. I see there are some in OH as well as national orgs. Best of luck!

Pet Financial Aid Organizations

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

Jen, I can't help financially at all, out checking account is rock bottom $13.93 that has to stretch to March 3. I'm hoping for some cockatiels sales this coming week, but that may be too late to help for you.

In the interim can you describe what is going on with Crash? You mentioned Sub-Q fluids and an antibiotic...what type of antibiotic, and were you sent home with some antibiotics to give until you go back?

If not infectious to your other birds could it be a metal toxicity, or hypoglycemia or hypocalcemia. All of these would cause weakness and a need for fluids, especially if the fluids contained dextrose if hypoglycemic.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Jenn,

I just sent a donation. Sorry it couldn't be more but every little bit hopes!:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Oh my gosh every little bit does help, you havve no idea thank you thank you thank you:hug8::hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

In the interim can you describe what is going on with Crash? You mentioned Sub-Q fluids and an antibiotic...what type of antibiotic, and were you sent home with some antibiotics to give until you go back?

If not infectious to your other birds could it be a metal toxicity, or hypoglycemia or hypocalcemia. All of these would cause weakness and a need for fluids, especially if the fluids contained dextrose if hypoglycemic.
Ok so this is why I was so angry an upset as well. They did inject him with antiboitics and fluids, didn't send me home with anything. They quite literally gave him to me and left they gave me no information as far as home care. They did say that they didn't think it was contagious to the other birds, that it was an infection of some sort and sometimes birds just get sick. She wants to do a radiograph to see where the infection is in the morning. The radiograph alone will be a couple hundred. She said that is to find out where the infection is and what exactly to treat it. They did not tell me what exactly they did but this is what the paper say. I do have a history of working at the vet clinic but this vet is known for doing things kind of weird.
There are no other avian vets that are open late or emergency except in cleveland and the roads were horrible. I don't think he would have made the near 2 hour drive with bad road conditions.

Here is the Treatment:
Sub Q fluids 3cc LRS
Metacam 0.5mg/kg IM
Fortaz 50mg/kg SQ

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

Hi, how is your bird tonight? When you took him to the vet what did the vet think was wrong? What antibiotic and dosage the vet put the bird on?

If the you have not given fluids before this may be a good time to learn to give them, it will help keep reduce your vet costs. If this is a new vet I would discuss his diagnosis and treatment up front. Ask the vet if you can do the supportive care in your home.

gary

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Gosh I wish I could help.

Im keeping him and you all in my prayers:hug8::hug8:

Keep him warm and hydrated:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

Hi, just read your post above. You paid the vet for a diagnosis and treatment, with that comes an explanation of what he feels is wrong with the bird and what he is treating it for. Did he do a fecal or gram stain to have some idea what might be going on?

Did the vet mention why he selected Fortaz? Are you sure about the route the antibiotic was administered? What did the vet suspect that required the metacam? Do you know the dosages of each that was given to your bird?

gary

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

:hug8: I wish I could help money wise but he will be in my prayers.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie

HElped a bit. Sorry it is not more. Crash, get better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.