• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on the wild lovie

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Hi all

So no one has claimed the wild lovie. We are assuming it's a girl since her attitude is very much like a female. Her name is now Spice. A few weeks ago, Nebula died. Part of her lung had collapsed when she was a baby and the vet said she might have had pneumonia when she was a baby and had no treatment so a part of her lung collapsed. She was doing really well though considering she used to get really winded when flying. Then she got pneumonia again and I guess her lungs just couldn't handle it. It took some time for me to get back to normal considering she was my first bird.
Thankfully, the other birds didn't get too depressed. They handled it surprisingly well. Spice is now trying to bond with Cherry and over time, they are getting closer. I'm just a bit worried that Cherry is withdrawing from me since Spice is terrified of me. I have been trying to bond with Spice but she isn't cooperating and I currently have exams so I haven't really had much time to focus on that. Could you suggest any effective method of bonding? The bonding I did with Neb and Cherry was a bit unorthodox and I hadn't realized it at the time. The bond was created on negative grounds so now I'm not sure what to do with Spice.
Another thing is that besides their cage, they have this vase that is right next to a mirror. Cherry is determined to find out the mystery of the mirror. She bites and gnaws on it but other than that they sit normally on the vase. Should I do something bout that or is it fine?
Oh and since its summer, I cant take them out in the cage and they have been getting very bored. They try to get out and I let them but then they fly all around the room screeching and pooping everywhere, not that I have a problem with that :), its just the fact that they are in the living room so my parents get pooped on and they become extremely loud. Do you have any ideas on what I can do for their boredom?

Attachments

Last edited:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry for your loss, try lots of treats and positive reinforcement @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very saddened to hear of Nebulas loss, I´m so sorry.

Cherry is withdrawing from me since Spice is terrified of me. I have been trying to bond with Spice but she isn't cooperating and I currently have exams so I haven't really had much time to focus on that.
I wouldn´t put this on Spice´s fear spreading. If you aren´t spending time with the birds, this can happen. They need daily interactions.

Could you suggest any effective method of bonding?
Dedicate time daily to spend with your birds, feeding foods, talking with them and generally being together.

Cherry is determined to find out the mystery of the mirror.
I would move the mirror somewhere else.

Oh and since its summer, I cant take them out in the cage and they have been getting very bored.
Why? I know it gets extremely hot where you are, are you using ceiling fans or something? Maybe look at investing in AC? I use a portable one for the super hot days and drop the external blind to block the sun during peak hours.
As for poops, I have a loo roll here on my table all the time that I use to clean up. Then I run around with a cloth and disinfectant once everyone is back in cages for the night. I keep these cardboard tubes for toy making (I never use the bathroom ones).
its just the fact that they are in the living room
Take them to your bedroom?
I know that my birds are very vocal when not let out to fly.

ZuZu_24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zuha
Why? I know it gets extremely hot where you are, are you using ceiling fans or something? Maybe look at investing in AC? I use a portable one for the super hot days and drop the external blind to block the sun during peak hours.
As for poops, I have a loo roll here on my table all the time that I use to clean up. Then I run around with a cloth and disinfectant once everyone is back in cages for the night. I keep these cardboard tubes for toy making (I never use the bathroom ones).
I mean taking them outside. They love being in the garden and now we have a shade over the garden. Normally even just in the cage outside, birds fly down to talk to them and they love it. I normally train them there too. Don't worry, I've made sure the garden is bird-proof now. The area I live in is really safe. Only the fact that cats run around at night. They loved going through the grass and munching on it. I even hid some treats and they would search for them. But now it has gotten too hot since it's almost summer now. It used to be their daily exercise/play.

Thanks so much :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah I see. The problem is the same then, heat. Try having them out in your bedroom. Just hide your books first! ;)