• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on the battle with bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Seed moths:
Saw only a few and immediately got non-toxic sticky traps. The moths were gone in two days.
Also invested in excellent airtight containers from Oxo for dry foods.
No creepy crawlies have been spotted since!
Roaches:
Were invading from outside due to improper caulking of the water pipes.
Caulked pipe openings but fear they are in the walls now.

Tried:
Osage Orange: cut down the presence by 90% but still some roaches leaving traces.
Diatomaceous Earth: Caused severe reaction in myself and Big Scooter though I tried not to get it airborne while applying behind the sink cabinet. Removed it.
Boric Acid: Not tried yet. Am suspicious of it getting tracked around by bugs feet.
Baking Soda + Sugar 50/50: applied two days ago behind the cabinet and under drawers.
No traces of roaches in two days
BUT will have definitive results in a few days.
Also causes face to itch and burn just from opening the jar
and makes Big SCooter sneeze from 20 feet away!!
Avian Insect Liquidator: Ordering this after the company answers some questions I have.
Camicide: moderately effective but don't like it one bit.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am battling roaches here. I tried the powdered sugar/baking soda combo without success. I have also used the Camacide inside and out on all the window sills and that seem slightly more effective, but not 100%.

Let me know about the boric acid and the Avian Insect Eliminator. If it works I'll buy some.

Ginger

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I hope you have better luck with the Avian Insect Eliminator for roaches than I did on a single budgie with mites! It is a waste of my money, it's not helping seems to be making matters worse!!! I'm just waiting for the Ivermectin to arrive and end the battle of a single budgie with mites once and for all

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
camicide is bad? I was thinking of buying it to treat my bird room.

I don't have any roach problems (knock on wood!!) but one time I came in from being outside a bit, and went to my room/bird room and let everyone out, gave them food and laid down on my bed watching tv when... GUESS WHAT?!
I don't know why I turned to look, maybe i felt someone staring at me. But INCHES away from my face there was a ROACH!!! :omg: It had been in my hair the entire time without me knowing it!!

I freaked out, and thats putting it mildly. :hehe: and then I freaked out even more when I remembered that roaches can carry that deadly possum bacteria that is absolutely deadly to old world birds and it can also be deadly to new world birds as well :faint:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
which one of these things is making your face itch and burn from opening the jar?

you can try spraying the bugs with a little dawn and water in a spray bottle

if the roaches are those big palmetto bugs, doubt they are in your walls - they just like to come in from outside

I have had them fly in from the screen door before :eek:

I have hedgeapples (osage orange) in every room now and have only seen 2 of the palmetto bugs since I put them out

the tiny spiders have all fled and there are even less of those horrid seed moths :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
camicide is bad? I was thinking of buying it to treat my bird room.

I don't have any roach problems (knock on wood!!) but one time I came in from being outside a bit, and went to my room/bird room and let everyone out, gave them food and laid down on my bed watching tv when... GUESS WHAT?!
I don't know why I turned to look, maybe i felt someone staring at me. But INCHES away from my face there was a ROACH!!! :omg: It had been in my hair the entire time without me knowing it!!

I freaked out, and thats putting it mildly. :hehe: and then I freaked out even more when I remembered that roaches can carry that deadly possum bacteria that is absolutely deadly to old world birds and it can also be deadly to new world birds as well :faint:
i bought it and have used it in the bird room and no ill effects - it isn't all that nice smelling but I sprayed a big bug (not a roach not sure what it was though) and it killed what ever it was I watched it fall off the wall dead and I SOAKED IT! so i sprayed a lot right above 4 bird cages

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:( hate creepy crawlies :(
haven't seen Palmettos since the one that ran under my refrigerator a week ago :eek:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:omg:Erika the hairs on my arm are standing up :eek::eek::eek:
Camicide....it stings my nose and face :huh:
GG I never see them except if i go in at midnight...and last two nights i have dashed in there for some hare brained reason or another late late night and saw none...post baking soda+sugar application

Kelli this thing i want to try is called Avian insect Liquidator...not Eliminator....:confused:

They sent me info on it

View attachment AIL RTU Export.pdf

gg so can i put an osage orange under the couch away from curious beaks? is it safe?

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
if you had let the anole stay he might have ate all the roaches lol
found this on another forum.its also from the land of vos site.

Release small geckos in your home and aviary. Provide dishes of water for them to drink. They will feast upon the roaches at night in the late evening, and sleep out of sight during daylight hours.
Build a cockroach trap. Smear a thin layer of Vaseline around the inside lip of a pint jar to a width of about 2 inches. Place the jar upright, with bait inside, in an area frequented by cockroaches. Apple and potato make excellent bait for American, smoky-brown, and brown-banded roaches, while German roaches prefer banana peel. Change the bait often because fresh food is more appealing to roaches. Another trap can be made by dusting the inside of a jar lightly with talcum powder and using the same bait food. Roaches entering the jar are unable to climb back out over the petroleum jelly or talcum powder barrier. Destroy the trapped roaches by dropping them into a pail of hot, soapy water.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
bwahahaha giggle fit now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
bwahahaha giggle fit now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
i just told jack you called him squeamish and started telling him about your mushroom and he ran away :rofl::rofl::rofl:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

i just told jack you called him squeamish and started telling him about your mushroom and he ran away :rofl::rofl::rofl:
"shroom" "shroom" "vroom" "vroom" :car: it's coming Jack :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
this evening i was scooping up the paper off the grate in the caiques cage and spotted a FRUIT FLY!
haven't seen any for ,months!

BUT this is not a problem at all.......:D
shallow pan of water + organic apple cider vinegar + a dash of non scented dishwashing liquid.

You will find them floating in the pan in a while ....they land on the aromatic acv water but the surface tension of the water is destroyed due to the soap...they sink. They expected to fly off like always but this time....:devil:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

gg so can i put an osage orange under the couch away from curious beaks? is it safe?
yes

I have it hidden in every room

one is near Boogie and one is near Bobo but not where they are going to get into them :D:D

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
this evening i was scooping up the paper off the grate in the caiques cage and spotted a FRUIT FLY!
haven't seen any for ,months!

BUT this is not a problem at all.......:D
shallow pan of water + organic apple cider vinegar + a dash of non scented dishwashing liquid.

You will find them floating in the pan in a while ....they land on the aromatic acv water but the surface tension of the water is destroyed due to the soap...they sink. They expected to fly off like always but this time....:devil:
good to know, I stopped buying Kiwis because of fruit fly swarms :eek:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
ok scratch baking soda + sugar off list....10 mins after lights out i went in the bird room and there was a small roach on my clean shiny sink counter.
I smashed it with a washcloth and threw it away, washcloth and all in the garbage.
Off to order Avian insect Liquidator....

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
ok scratch baking soda + sugar off list....10 mins after lights out i went in the bird room and there was a small roach on my clean shiny sink counter.
I smashed it with a washcloth and threw it away, washcloth and all in the garbage.
Off to order Avian insect Liquidator....
:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.