• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on rescue amazon

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing well during the quarantine/pandemic. I wanted to give you all a quick update on the amazon I posted a few weeks back, where I asked for help about having a new rescue. I’m happy to say that she is absolutely thriving here :D Tyler has slowly shown that she’s spunky, mildly cranky, and such a sweet little bird that never fails to entertain us! She still has no interest in toys, but I’ve gotten her COMPLETELY off of a seed/muffin/veggie diet and onto pellets and fresh veggies/fruit every morning. I appreciate all the help I have received and I’m thankful to have met this little DYH:heart:
5DA0F0AC-C230-4A88-B046-B286086C2ACD.jpeg C3F5B7AF-3A4A-4F34-B256-A39838D3C926.jpeg 29BDCE5E-7D3C-4580-A03D-11DC730BAB65.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She will get into toys and wood. Give her time.

My guys first toys were the little pops from Parrot's Treasure.

The girls put a pine nut in those so the parrots were rewarded when they tore into them. They're one of our vendors.

I'll go see if I can copy picture.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Look under foot toys for the little pops. They can hold those in their claws.

I usually have a bag of the yum yums in my stash.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing well during the quarantine/pandemic. I wanted to give you all a quick update on the amazon I posted a few weeks back, where I asked for help about having a new rescue. I’m happy to say that she is absolutely thriving here :D Tyler has slowly shown that she’s spunky, mildly cranky, and such a sweet little bird that never fails to entertain us! She still has no interest in toys, but I’ve gotten her COMPLETELY off of a seed/muffin/veggie diet and onto pellets and fresh veggies/fruit every morning. I appreciate all the help I have received and I’m thankful to have met this little DYH:heart:
View attachment 333701 View attachment 333702 View attachment 333703
Beautiful bird....just beautiful! Pierre says " Hi Cousin!! " And boy can be chew up toys. Has this habit of grabbing his bell holding it up with his hand and giving it a shake, then he says water, come on. Come on. IMG_20200406_191021.jpg

Last edited:

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam

Look under foot toys for the little pops. They can hold those in their claws.

I usually have a bag of the yum yums in my stash.
Awesome, thank you! She loves walnuts, peanuts, and almonds, so I'll try putting those in there.

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Beautiful bird....just beautiful! Pierre says " Hi Cousin!! " And boy can be chew up toys. Has this habit of grabbing his bell holding it up with his hand and giving it a shake, then he says water, come on. Come on. View attachment 333709
Aw, thank you so much! Pierre is such a cutie :D I've seen the absolute destruction Amazons can do to their toys, so I'm hoping that maybe she'll get interest soon!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome, thank you! She loves walnuts, peanuts, and almonds, so I'll try putting those in there.
She is beautiful! She looks content & proud to be a ZON! The peanuts can give your fid Aspergillious. It's bad... You may want to remove them & try a different nut. Maybe hazlenuts or filberts. Buddy my Zon, will not fight w/ the shell, he's so spoiled, I have to pop the shell off for him. More expensive than a peanut but far more nutritious & much less fat. No Aspergillious issue (which is caused by a mold that grows on the shell). It sounds like your doing FABULOUS on dietary changes. Congrats, that is a really, really big deal for your floof & their overall health!

Think we can talk you into learning to sprout next?

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
She is beautiful! She looks content & proud to be a ZON! The peanuts can give your fid Aspergillious. It's bad... You may want to remove them & try a different nut. Maybe hazlenuts or filberts. Buddy my Zon, will not fight w/ the shell, he's so spoiled, I have to pop the shell off for him. More expensive than a peanut but far more nutritious & much less fat. No Aspergillious issue (which is caused by a mold that grows on the shell). It sounds like your doing FABULOUS on dietary changes. Congrats, that is a really, really big deal for your floof & their overall health!

Think we can talk you into learning to sprout next?
Thank you very much! :) I didn’t even know that about peanuts, I’ll definitely stop letting her have them. Are walnuts and almonds ok? Tyler absolutely LOVES chewing on the shells to get the nut out, so I don’t want her to have any issues. Also, I’ve tried sprouting for my chickens once before, so I’m curious how to do it for the parrots. What seeds are good to use for them?

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Thank you very much! :) I didn’t even know that about peanuts, I’ll definitely stop letting her have them. Are walnuts and almonds ok? Tyler absolutely LOVES chewing on the shells to get the nut out, so I don’t want her to have any issues. Also, I’ve tried sprouting for my chickens once before, so I’m curious how to do it for the parrots. What seeds are good to use for them?
Almonds are good for them :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
2alnuts & Alminds are @ the top of the list gor lower fat levels & nutritional value.

@Hankmacaw is better w/ the good nuts list.

I sprout all types of bird seeds even ones that often get ignored by Buddy like Millet (just isn't into it). I also do barley, brown rice, buck wheat, & a few other grains. Grains are tougher in the summer because they tend to mold if your kitchen is overly warm, like mine, especially the rice. I do popcorn occasionally too, lentils (3 kinds), black eyed peas, chickpeas... I'm sure I'm missing a few things but these are my staples or my staple bases then I add in the safflower or sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts are all good nuts. Hazelnuts are good toys to mess around with in their mouth, but my bird won't eat them. No Brazil nuts - too fatty.

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
2alnuts & Alminds are @ the top of the list gor lower fat levels & nutritional value.

@Hankmacaw is better w/ the good nuts list.

I sprout all types of bird seeds even ones that often get ignored by Buddy like Millet (just isn't into it). I also do barley, brown rice, buck wheat, & a few other grains. Grains are tougher in the summer because they tend to mold if your kitchen is overly warm, like mine, especially the rice. I do popcorn occasionally too, lentils (3 kinds), black eyed peas, chickpeas... I'm sure I'm missing a few things but these are my staples or my staple bases then I add in the safflower or sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
Ok, thank you for all the info! I’ll go check out some posts/threads about sprouting :)

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts are all good nuts. Hazelnuts are good toys to mess around with in their mouth, but my bird won't eat them. No Brazil nuts - too fatty.
Perfect, thank you :)