• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Pepper

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Don’t know if you all remember but I wrote here to get some advice on how to get my gorgeous cockatoo Pepper onto pellets. She had become obese from a 37 year seed diet and was at risk of developing fatty liver disease so I had to change her diet, she has lost most of the extra weight she’s down to 1 kg she started @ 1.8 poor girl, still a little to come off. I stumbled across a YouTube vid that suggested when changing their diet don’t change anything else in their cage and change one thing at a time slowly. So I went back to square one mashing up the pellets and adding a small amount of seed but every now and then I forgot to soak the pellets so I just moistened them and mixed the seed in, when I went to feed her again I noticed all the dark green pellets were missing so I cleaned her cage again and gave her a fresh bowl of pellets just to make sure she wasn’t just piffing them but no she’s munching them up HOORAY : D, it took 4 months for her to accept them as food but she is now at least eating one colour, small victories!
Thank you for all your suggestions and advice here, when I wanted to just give up you inspired me to keep going and it payed off.
Thank you from both of us.

Attachments

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Too, She's very pretty. Tops pellets are organic certified & are dark green. They also lack major preservatives the big commercial companies over use, IMO. These may help her alot if she's drawn to the color. A few of the vendors here have them. I couldn't get Buddy to eat them, which really bummed me out because I really wanted him to like them, because the pellets have so many good things in them.

Congrats!!!

koneko

Strolling the yard
thats really great! i also switched my cockatoo's diet to pellets but he doesnt touch them if they arent soaked and mushy

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don’t know if you all remember but I wrote here to get some advice on how to get my gorgeous cockatoo Pepper onto pellets. She had become obese from a 37 year seed diet and was at risk of developing fatty liver disease so I had to change her diet, she has lost most of the extra weight she’s down to 1 kg she started @ 1.8 poor girl, still a little to come off. I stumbled across a YouTube vid that suggested when changing their diet don’t change anything else in their cage and change one thing at a time slowly. So I went back to square one mashing up the pellets and adding a small amount of seed but every now and then I forgot to soak the pellets so I just moistened them and mixed the seed in, when I went to feed her again I noticed all the dark green pellets were missing so I cleaned her cage again and gave her a fresh bowl of pellets just to make sure she wasn’t just piffing them but no she’s munching them up HOORAY : D, it took 4 months for her to accept them as food but she is now at least eating one colour, small victories!
Thank you for all your suggestions and advice here, when I wanted to just give up you inspired me to keep going and it payed off.
Thank you from both of us.

That's awesome. Takes time, you can't rush anything with a too. Diet changes to be accepted can take months before you get desired results. Some Too's take less time, some more, because a lot of times you have to experiment with diet and food. ( Eg..mashed, wet, powered, mixed and etc..) Till you find right combination they like. Yea frustrating at times, but in the end, it all comes together.
:dance5:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some foods can even take years because the first time you made they wanted cooked & cut in spears & you gave it to them raw & cubed. It takes much time to get used to one another & form a bond. Once that happens it's a little easier to have them be more accepting of new things. Eating it yourself also helps. ;)

Time, patience & much persistance. :fairy2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay!
Well done for persisting till she tried them and well done to her for trying them!!
I’m pleased for your both :)