• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on my new bird!

tiki07

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Andreea
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 15.48.18.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 15.48.51.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 16.03.57.jpeg
This is my budgie Tiki. A few months ago, I was worried about his beak and also about how to get closer with him so I posted here! I got so much feedback and I am thankful for everyone's advice.
His beak is definitely better! I am still confused about his gender - but I believe it's a male, since his beak got blue at some point. My uncle also owns an old budgie, and she's a female. And there are many things different about Tiki and her.
Back to Tiki.
  1. Things are very slowly getting better, I think. As you can see in these pics, we're getting closer. Tiki is still shy and won't touch me or my family's hands at all, but he's eating from my hand and that's really cool.
  2. Also, he loves clinging to my wall mirror and if I raise my hand, he tries to fly on it, but gets scared and just flies above it and then goes back to the mirror.
  3. I am always talking to him, softly and playfully and he even lets me touch his beak with a toy.
  4. Mostly, he doesn't get close to any of us (he has some attempts sometimes)
  5. If I get my hand in the cage, he'll move a lot but he doesn't chirp, he doesn't get crazy and he also doesn't tremble - so I think that means he's kind of okay with it.
  6. If I have my hand in the cage and it's too close to him, he will bite it playfully, kind of. I know he can bite really hard but he just chooses to not bite me.
I've had him for almost 8 months I think and I got him from a petshop, so I feel like that explains his distant behaviour. Advice on getting even closer to him? I've tried everything.
I really love him and care for him and I just want to show him that I don't intend on hurting him or anything of this sort. Just budgie-human love!
This is the first day of feeding him with millet straight of my hand and I'll keep doing that! Really excited...
:budgie2:

Last edited:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds like you're doing good. Time spent together will be the biggest influence on your relationship. I have to ask, is that his regular cage? How often/long does he come out?
If I have my hand in the cage and it's too close to him, he will bite it playfully, kind of. I know he can bite really hard but he just chooses to not bite me.
Also. Budgies don't bite hard, unless you're cornered them. He is simply testing and tasting your hand:) which is good

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
@scrape Yeah, that's his regular cage. I know it's pretty small, but I did not get the chance to buy a bigger one. For now, I'm making up by buying him lots of cool toys and snacks. He's not the type to move around a lot, he has a corner where he stays. On top of his ladder and in front of a mirror and a bell. Shy birb.

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
Also! He always comes out. He stays inside only if me or any member of my family isn't home, and at night we tend to close him in the cage if he gets in, because otherwise it's really difficult for him to get in at night.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
It's good that you let him out! Lots of stands and toys outside his cage are great enrichment!:) Budgie are awesome little pets, are Tiki's wings clipped?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I believe it's a male, since his beak got blue at some point
Think again, she's 100% female.
I'm really glad you've come back to us with this great update. The way you just disappeared from the forums had a couple of us worried.
Welcome back!
@Lori D Pert

Last edited:

tiki07

Real Name
Andreea
@Ripshod I really don't know at this point, but it doesn't matter, I love this budgie regardless haha. I disappeared beacause my school life got so busy! Glad to be back! Tiki's doing amazing!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Ripshod I really don't know at this point, but it doesn't matter, I love this budgie regardless haha. I disappeared beacause my school life got so busy! Glad to be back! Tiki's doing amazing!
She's looking great compared with your intro post. All credit to you.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Congratulations on your bonding progress with Tiki! She does look great. I think anyone who has gotten a budgie from a large pet store chain will tell you that it takes longer for those birds to become used to hands being near them. And yes, there are exceptions. I hope she will continue the bonding process with you.