• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Mickey the Lovebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
So, as it turns out, Mickey was not egg bound, it's was more like she was nesting and hormonal. She finally laid an egg this morning and had been sitting on it at the bottom of the cage. Like a good birdie mom (I thought) I gathered up some nesting material for her and put it in her corner. Then I very gently removed the egg, and in an attempt to sterilize it I let it stay in the microwave for a second too long and it exploded. I am so upset.

I still had an egg from Molly from last year that I warmed and put into the little nest I made, but Mickey is furious. She is stomping and squawking and lunging at me. I feel so very sorry for her... I guess she knows it's not hers.

I thought replacement eggs worked. This whole thing is not turning out very well. I'm sad. :(

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
:( Oh no! You had her best interest at heart though. Hopefully she will calm down. Maybe she was just mad that you disturbed her "area" and not necessarily because this egg isn't her egg... I hope. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you can buy fake eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com pick up a supply or even buy fake ones at your local kraft store...also nesting material is not necessary..just a towel on the grate is fine..she might be upset over the nesting material get it out of there, put the egg back..it might be bad..maybe that is why she upset even a w hite marble might fool her

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Since the egg is "old" it doesn't have the weight of a new egg...I would say that is the difference...
If she is not with a male, I wouldn't worry about the egg...just leave it and the others when she has them...:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear she was not egg bound - BF and Anne have given you some great advice :)

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I'm off to the craft store to find some appropriate eggs. Mickey is sooo upset and only faces me to lunge and bite. I took the nesting material and egg out (BF, you're right it is light as a feather and she must know). I put a towel down then a paper towel, she pushed both away and sulks with her back to all in the corner. Poor little girl.

She is in the cage with a very, ah hem, manly mate who, unfortunately is her brother. I don't think he can get to her because there is no box or sleeper in the cage.

Oh do I hope she calms down...

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
went to petsmart, petland and hobby lobby. The best I could do is wooden beads. I'm not expecting much as Mickey always pecks away at wooden toys. She seemed a little better tonight and was eating some. She is still quite upset and I'm wondering if she'll lay another one.

Petland makes me feel sick. The birds water bowls are always dirty and the poor little birds look so unhealthy.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Good to hear Mickey is doing a little better :hug8: I know what you mean about the pet stores I always end up feeling depressed by the conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.