• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on maggie

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Took our G2 to the vet today concerning her plucking and odd behavior of sitting in her food bowl jerking around. They did a CBC and lipid panel of bloodwork, fecal test, and she got deslorelin implant for hormones. The vet watched the video of her in her food bowl and said she Thinks she’s master bating not trying to lay an egg. She said over all her health looked good. She thinks it’s hormones but we will see how the blood and fecal come back. She menationed that she needs to have more foraging toys in her cage too. Just thought I’d let everyone know. I’m hoping the implant will help.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
On one visit? that is a VERY drastic measure.

Masturbating? Avian females usually dont do that. What is the diet, light, etc? there may be triggers that could be prevented.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My tiels do that sometimes too, but only one has ever layed eggs. I think that it is just normal behavior, and it wouldn’t warrant an implant.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
My tiels do that sometimes too, but only one has ever layed eggs. I think that it is just normal behavior, and it wouldn’t warrant an implant.
She does a couple times a day everyday. She is also starting to pluck. Which can be a cause of hormones.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
On one visit? that is a VERY drastic measure.

Masturbating? Avian females usually dont do that. What is the diet, light, etc? there may be triggers that could be prevented.
Maggie eats zupreem medium pellets along with conureburst seed mix. Fresh veggies daily. Nutriberries as a treat. She has a full spectrum uvb light. Large cage with toys and different size perches. Gets out of the cage everyday for at least 3/4 hours. Her cage is in the busiest part of our home.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Maggie eats zupreem medium pellets along with conureburst seed mix. Fresh veggies daily. Nutriberries as a treat. She has a full spectrum uvb light. Large cage with toys and different size perches. Gets out of the cage everyday for at least 3/4 hours. Her cage is in the busiest part of our home.
I should also add that she is fully flighted. It has been going on for awhile now and maybe the reason for her plucking.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sounds like you re taking care of her- but may need a lot more stimulation.

Ill just say this so others can chime in (Im very direct): Hormones are *almost never a cause for plucking.
It can be a contributing factor... yes. But the reason we ask so many questions is because there are other underlining factors that lead to it. So we are here for you-

That is why I ask aboutt he light and diet, etc. Those can trigger excess hormones, etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I will say it's a challenge to keep a Goffin mentally stimulated. They are SO smart and mechanical. Foraging toys might help. I bought some puzzle type toys for my goffin but haven't put them in his cage yet as he can be a bit skittish about unfamiliar things in his cage. One thing that he loves are links like for babies. I'll find a pic- but I hang them all over his cage and he will unhook and rehook them all day. He loves them. I have also really tried to up his physical activity too. He's a male though so I don't know if that makes a difference but he loves to play catch. He likes to play hard- until he's panting and then he still wants to keep going. Then when he has to go back in his cage, he is calmer. Just my experiences. I hope the plucking stops. It's such a hard thing to get a handle on.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Sounds like you re taking care of her- but may need a lot more stimulation.

Ill just say this so others can chime in (Im very direct): Hormones are *almost never a cause for plucking.
It can be a contributing factor... yes. But the reason we ask so many questions is because there are other underlining factors that lead to it. So we are here for you-

That is why I ask aboutt he light and diet, etc. Those can trigger excess hormones, etc.
I will say it's a challenge to keep a Goffin mentally stimulated. They are SO smart and mechanical. Foraging toys might help. I bought some puzzle type toys for my goffin but haven't put them in his cage yet as he can be a bit skittish about unfamiliar things in his cage. One thing that he loves are links like for babies. I'll find a pic- but I hang them all over his cage and he will unhook and rehook them all day. He loves them. I have also really tried to up his physical activity too. He's a male though so I don't know if that makes a difference but he loves to play catch. He likes to play hard- until he's panting and then he still wants to keep going. Then when he has to go back in his cage, he is calmer. Just my experiences. I hope the plucking stops. It's such a hard thing to get a handle on.
would love to see a picture of those links so I can get some. Maggie is scared of new toys too. So we do a slow introduction. I bought a skewer to hang and out veggies and fruits on it along with some items to chew on but she won’t go near it.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
What about just changing up her diet- slowly.... Creating a foraging environment.

Example:
Day 1- same food..
Day 2- same food.. add in itty bitty tiny bits of strawberry
Day 3- same food.. larger chopped strawberry
Day 4- same food.. half a strawberry with a nut (or favorite food) pressed into it

You can do the same with everything (not just strawberry), until they realize that those items have yummy stuff inside. Its a good starting point.

It also helps if YOU eat it in front of her. They are flock animals: monkey see, monkey do :)

Edit: as far as chewing: some balsa wood with holes in it stuffed with pistachios... total fav in this house.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
What about just changing up her diet- slowly.... Creating a foraging environment.

Example:
Day 1- same food..
Day 2- same food.. add in itty bitty tiny bits of strawberry
Day 3- same food.. larger chopped strawberry
Day 4- same food.. half a strawberry with a nut (or favorite food) pressed into it

You can do the same with everything (not just strawberry), until they realize that those items have yummy stuff inside. Its a good starting point.

It also helps if YOU eat it in front of her. They are flock animals: monkey see, monkey do :)

Edit: as far as chewing: some balsa wood with holes in it stuffed with pistachios... total fav in this house.
Her cage is by our dinner table so we have at least one meal with her per day. I’ll send a pix of her setup

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
Maggie’s on the left side and our Quaker parrot Gracie is on the right side. Divider between them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
would love to see a picture of those links so I can get some. Maggie is scared of new toys too. So we do a slow introduction. I bought a skewer to hang and out veggies and fruits on it along with some items to chew on but she won’t go near it.
There are various brands and different shapes but they're like these: Geo Chain - Medium Bird Toy - Super Bird Creations

I separate them and hook them around his cage. He will play endlessly with them. Until he shoots them out of his cage. I have often said I need to hire a youngster just to rehang his clips for me. I feel like when I'm home all I do is rehang them. LOL. Good exercise I guess- all that bending.

I've also used these, but he seems to now prefer the larger ones.

We actually started with the smaller ones. They might be less scary to her.... But like I said, Elvis now prefers the big ones. He can hook them better.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you had both birds for the same amount of time and have they always been caged right next to each other? In a time line, if Maggie wasn't plucking when you got her when did she start? What I'm driving at is the possibility of the quaker causing enough stress to cause Maggie to pluck.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I loath these... They end up in my sofa!!!!! LMAO. Nothing like sitting down to 'ouch' (bird drops them, dog carries them to sofa, I put them back up... repeat).
I kid, but those are awesome, highly recommend them- for birds, not your tush.
I know. I find them everywhere. I even found one in my purse once. LOL. Not sure how that happened.