• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Keoki

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Did the cage come with the plain stainless steel bowls or are those ones you purchased separately? The white and ruby cages used to come with bowls that were decorated. Wasn't it easy to put the cage together? That's one thing I really like about the Avian Adventures cages.
Yes, 5 SS bowls..! and not too deep either. Keoki still likes to crawl inside them. :D The cage was SUPER easy to put together. I did it by myself in about 15 mins from start to finish. I did throw the little plastic caps away that you use for the ladders. Haha, I had to fish them out of the trash. Fortunately, the trash has just gone out so there wasn't much to dig through. :lol:I love this cage. I was a little concern about the size since I was so used to my 24 x20 but tall prevue cage. This one seems smaller, but he took to it in one day. No complaining. He was crawling all over it while i was putting the play top together. I knew it was a winner. Oh and I just love the fact that the play-top comes right off and you can place it "wherever" you want. AWESOME! :loveshower:

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, unfortunately they downgraded. You could always call and see if they still have some cow wood. At least perches are easy to replace.
Wonder why? I am still going to call them. I didn't get a warranty card either.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, thank you so much. :yes4: :tup:

That bar spacing is 3/4". Isn't that a little wide?
Not for a red-bellied parrot. I have 4 Chiquitas and it's worked out fine for the red-bellied parrots who are in them.

Wonder why? I am still going to call them. I didn't get a warranty card either.
Dowels are cheaper than cow wood. Don't remember ever getting a warranty card with any of mine. Supposed to be a 6 mo. warranty or maybe it's a year at least it used to be a yr. but I think Midwest changed it to 6 mos. Did you get a bottle of touch up paint?

This is one of my favorite cages. My favorite color is the ruby and they discontinued that.
It's good you found the plastic pieces. Prevents the metal pieces from rubbing together.

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Not for a red-bellied parrot. I have 4 Chiquitas and it's worked out fine for the red-bellied parrots who are in them.

Dowels are cheaper than cow wood. Don't remember ever getting a warranty card with any of mine. Supposed to be a 6 mo. warranty or maybe it's a year at least it used to be a yr. but I think Midwest changed it to 6 mos. Did you get a bottle of touch up paint?

This is one of my favorite cages. My favorite color is the ruby and they discontinued that.
It's good you found the plastic pieces. Prevents the metal pieces from rubbing together.
I get that.. still haven’t called. Not enough hrs in the day and it been a busy week + we are behind at lease 3 hrs. So by the time I have a breather, they are already closed. Yes, I got a bottle of touch up paint. I do believe the warranty is a year. At least that’s what they said on Hayneedle. Those lil plastic pieces do the job. The ladders are tight, and do not move around. I really love this cage and it’s very easy to clean ++

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute photo of a soaked Keoki.
Great that the cage is working out well for him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
:)
Red-bellies tend to be silly. I call mine "intelligent goofballs".
Man are they sure funny. Today was a really good day. I think the first good and relaxed day since he got here. I had a long week at work so I’m tired. Keoki was such a good boy. He played mostly by himself on his cage and ate. Later we had some one on one time. He is feeling finally starting to sit on my shoulder and actually relax and hang out. Then we had some, “im going to get your tail” time. He is so funny, he acts like he is going to bite me, laughs and wags his tail. It’s was just such a good day with my goofball!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are Keoki and Gary doing?
Is Keoki doing well with his new cage?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
How are Keoki and Gary doing?
Is Keoki doing well with his new cage?
Both are doing amazing. Keoki likes his cage, although he has difficulty going from the inside the to the outside without help, and vise versa. I am looking forward to his flight feather coming in. Waiting is agony, because I can tell that he is frustrated. I did notice that when I came home yesterday at 4:15, that he had held his poop all day. No one was home all day. That is a rarity that no one isn't home all day, but it happens on occasion. So apparently he doesn't like pooping inside his cage. I don't know how safe that is that he does that. He likes to go to be 7:30-8:00 every night. He sleeps on his bungee in our room. He tells us when he is ready to go to bed by climbing to the back of my chair and turns himself in the direction of the bedroom and lets out a call. Thats his bedtime cue, and off he goes. Within 2-3 mins he is beak grinding. He's almost 6 months, and I have notice he will startle. It could be a shadows of the trees outside, especially during sunset when the sun is lower in the sky. Or a bird that he sees flying over. Monday and Tuesday of this week he was afraid of my hands, no clue why. Now he is fine with my hands. He gets really excited to see me in the morning and when I come home, he will coo, and whistle, grumble words that i can't make out. Our morning routine he likes to hang out with me in the bathroom while I get ready for work. He will sit on his t stand, usually thats where he does his am dump. He will just sit there talking his birdie talk to me. He isn't interested in his reflection in the mirror.

Gary lives with my daughter now. She is so happy to have him and he just loves her. He was such a seed junky, now he is off seed and is eating his golden feast Australian Blend and Petite Hookbill Legume exclusively. He talks and sings a lot. Her roommates just love having him around. He is the man in the house. LOL He mimic my daughter and the other wild birds and geckos. I have a cute video of him. I will see if I can share it. He is fully flighted and fly's everyday for exercise. He is one happy bird.

See how cute I am?
46EDF21E-9A23-4858-BE51-2A94CCEDDFDE.jpeg
Gary - Took a bath
8AB4B5C9-A7EE-4B18-A594-6CBC27ABC480.jpeg

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about attaching a platform to the outside of the cage so it will be easier for him to come out or you can even attach a platform to the front door inside and when you swing it open he will be able to step out onto that.
Not the best thing for birds to hold their poop. Wonder why he doesn't want to do it in his cage. So there is never a big AM poop inside? It's almost has if he has taught himself to just do it outside his cage. Nothing in the food dishes or water either?
Keoki could be demonstrating some phobic behaviors. Seems that it starts around 4-6 mos. of age, give or take. Just act around him like you normally do and don't push him. Seems like it is just mild which is a good thing.
Good that you found a good home for Gary and that he is still with family so you can check up on him. Does Keoki miss him?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
There is always a big am poop... but never inside his cage. Normally when I am at work, my husband will let him out, and he is usually still out when i get home. This time we were both gone all day, and when we got home and I let him out, there were no droppings on the bottom of the cage. Within about 5-6 min he let it go on top of his cage, another big one. Then everything went back to normal until bed. Nothing inside the food or water dishes either. The only time he is in his cage is when we are not home. Maybe that is a mistake. Maybe I should me making him sleep in the other cage at in my room, instead of his bungee.

Transitioning inside to outside or vise versa the problem is the bars, not only are they slick but the frame has bigger bars then the bars in between. I have taught him to climb up the sides outside but he can't transition to even get to the side of the cage where they are horizontal. I think he is lazy. LOL Oh and he doesn't miss Gary.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could attach a platform to the door inside so that the door will be outside when you open the cage. It might make it easier for him to go in and out.
However as he gets older he will probably do better with exiting and entering. My red-bellies don't have issues with exiting or entering their Chiquitas.
Looks like he took a nice bath. Cute photo.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
You could attach a platform to the door inside so that the door will be outside when you open the cage. It might make it easier for him to go in and out.
However as he gets older he will probably do better with exiting and entering. My red-bellies don't have issues with exiting or entering their Chiquitas.
Looks like he took a nice bath. Cute photo.
Thanks, he looked adorable. I attached a platform shelf on the inside door after the last conversation (see photo) he is transitioning much easier now. When he gets his flight back, it will be so much easier for him I think. He is starting to become more confident. He likes to hang upside down now from his toys and he will hang like this on his swing and use his beak to push off the ladder and make himself swing back and forth. So funny.

F144F6CC-794E-46CF-AD32-0C80CD14C3CB.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most Pois like swinging. Mulder and Scully had a Bouda rope swing like Keoki's. Actually they had two of them and destroyed each one. Then I switched to a hardwood swing and they kept unscrewing the eye screw and I would find the swing on the bottom of the cage. Then I went with a grape wood swing but the hemp rope got chewed through and when I replaced the rope it just got chewed through again. I am probably going to get a metal swing or restring the grape wood swing using leather.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I don’t think I have ever seen such explosive (angry?) behavior come out of Keoki, until now. He’s totally fine now but the last 10 min hissy fit was nothing I’d seen before. I moved him to his bungee (routine) and the toy that he loves to chew on (actually need to replace it soon) became his enemy. He was screaming (growling) at it, pulling at it. Over and over again. I dared not touch it! This went on for what seemed like 10 mins. Now he is just sitting there like nothing happened. All happy again. I think he is frustrated that he can’t fly too. I swear I can see the gears working in his brain, as he thinks about how to get from one spot to another. Poor guy.