• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UPDATE ON CITRUS MAGIC ODOR ELIMINATOR.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Last November I inquired if anyone knew if the odor eliminator Citrus Magic was safe for birds. I know I always feel much more at ease knowing someone else has actually used a product before purchasing it myself so here is my update on this product. I have been using Citrus Magic for almost a year now. I use both solid and spray. I use the spray in my upstairs and downstairs bathroom regularly, the solids in my bedrooms and living room, and Occasionally I use a spray in the living room. I DO NOT use anything in my dinning room where Kai is.
Citrus Magic is a bird safe Natural Air Freshener Odor Eliminator that comes in a Non-Aerosol Spray Can.
Ingredients: Natural Essential Citrus Oils. It comes in a couple of pleasant fragrances but my favorite is the Tropical Citrus Blend. While the solids do not work as well or last as long the spray is wonderful and long lasting. Not only is this product bird safe but it really does the job. Drawback, this product is very hard to find. Targets carries it but it sells out fast. I buy about ten cans at a time so not to run out.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looking on their website, I don´t see a list of ingredients.

Ingredients: Natural Essential Citrus Oils.
There must be something else in this product or it would be an essential oil and be quite expensive.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You don't have a full list of ingredients. If it's in a solid, there are going to be other ingredients thatyou don't know about. If it's in a spray, it's going to be suspended in water and there are going to be other chemicals in there to ensure that the oils and water don't separate.

Most customer care reps know nothing about birds. They assume that if a product is safe for dogs and cats, it's safe for all pets. Birds have incredibly effective respiratory systems so can be badly affected by things that are safe for mammals.

I personally wouldn't have this product in my house. Essential oils may be natural, but that doesn't mean that they're safe for birds.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've used it also. Seems like the safest thing I've found for when I need to 'freshen' the air.

I do use it sparingly, and not on a regular basis.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I personally wouldn't have this product in my house. Essential oils may be natural, but that doesn't mean that they're safe for birds.
For that matter they aren't safe for humans either if you don't use them correctly. My parents had some trouble using too much of them and being sick for a good couple of days!

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Ingredients from the label
What appears on the label: Water, fragrance, saponified vegetable fatty acid, vegetable-derived emulsifiers, glycerin, salt, citrus and vegetable-derived odor absorbers and baking soda.

I’ve been using this product for just about a year after much research with lots of questions. It is bird safe and sold on a bird site. MyBirdStore.com
I would never have posted it was safe if I haven’t used it for a period of time myself. As I’ve stated I do not use it in the room that Kai is in but all other rooms with no problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
For that matter they aren't safe for humans either if you don't use them correctly. My parents had some trouble using too much of them and being sick for a good couple of days!
I've used it also. Seems like the safest thing I've found for when I need to 'freshen' the air.

I do use it sparingly, and not on a regular basis.
It is sold in a bird store.
MyBirdStore.com

Attachments

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
You don't have a full list of ingredients. If it's in a solid, there are going to be other ingredients thatyou don't know about. If it's in a spray, it's going to be suspended in water and there are going to be other chemicals in there to ensure that the oils and water don't separate.

Most customer care reps know nothing about birds. They assume that if a product is safe for dogs and cats, it's safe for all pets. Birds have incredibly effective respiratory systems so can be badly affected by things that are safe for mammals.

What appears on the label: Water, fragrance, saponified vegetable fatty acid, vegetable-derived emulsifiers, glycerin, salt, citrus and vegetable-derived odor absorbers and baking soda.
This product is sold in a bird store.
MyBirdStore.com

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

There must be something else in this product or it would be an essential oil and be quite expensive.
MyBirdStore.com

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

MyBirdStore.com

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
image.jpg

I use this one every now and then which has only lime, orange oil and alcohol. Of course it is never used near the birds but it is one of the only ones I am happy to use. The orange one is nice too.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
View attachment 318548

I use this one every now and then which has only lime, orange oil and alcohol. Of course it is never used near the birds but it is one of the only ones I am happy to use. The orange one is nice too.
Oh thanks so much. I wouldn’t mind having another choice. If you don’t mind my asking how long have you been using this product and where would I be able to purchase it? Always good to have a backup. I also never use the Citrus Magic in the room Kai is in. I use the spray mainly in my bathrooms and once in a great while in the living room. The solids I use in the bedrooms upstairs. It’s not always easy to get. Sells out very fast so a backup would be wonderful. Thanks again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I've also used the citrus magic solids by my litter box. These are at the other end of the house from the bird (s).

Things I want to comment on:

1. Just because we use something and see no ill effects does not prove its safety. People smoke around birds for a decade without any outward signs of illness, but I would not call that a safe practice

2. Just because a bird store sells something does not always mean it is safe either. We should always rely on our own research.

3. "Fragrance" is the only thing that worries me on the label as those are usually fragrance oils which is the stuff in candles, febreeze, etc that people warm against using around birds.

4. Citrus essential oils are cheap ;) They are usually made with the peels.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
So I've also used the citrus magic solids by my litter box. These are at the other end of the house from the bird (s).

1. Just because we use something and see no ill effects does not prove its safety. People smoke around birds for a decade without any outward signs of illness, but I would not call that a safe practice

2. Just because a bird store sells something does not always mean it is safe either. We should always rely on our own research.

3. "Fragrance" is the only thing that worries me on the label as those are usually fragrance oils which is the stuff in candles, febreeze, etc that people warm against using around birds.

Thanks Mizzely. All good comments and as usual very helpful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh thanks so much. I wouldn’t mind having another choice. If you don’t mind my asking how long have you been using this product and where would I be able to purchase it? Always good to have a backup. I also never use the Citrus Magic in the room Kai is in. I use the spray mainly in my bathrooms and once in a great while in the living room. The solids I use in the bedrooms upstairs. It’s not always easy to get. Sells out very fast so a backup would be wonderful. Thanks again.

I’ve been using this product for years because I like how few things are in it and it works well.
I’m not sure if it’s available in other countries but all the supermarkets here sell this stuff. I’m in Australia.

I believe it was originally made to use up the left over peels from other orange and lime products made here. It’s made by Planet Ark and they basically make products by recycling what would otherwise be land fill.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Thanks Mizzely. All good comments and as usual very helpful.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I’ve been using this product for years because I like how few things are in it and it works well.
I’m not sure if it’s available in other countries but all the supermarkets here sell this stuff. I’m in Australia.

I believe it was originally made to use up the left over peels from other orange and lime products made here. It’s made by Planet Ark and they basically make products by recycling what would otherwise be land fill.
Thanks for the information. I am in New York and will definitely goggle it to see if it is available here and where. I’ll let you know my findings. I like the fact that you have been using this product for such a length of time with no issues. Will be in touch.