• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Ceddy's diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I've been meaning to post this for a while for those who are about to give up on converting there fabies to healthier diets. KEEP TRYING!!!

To recap: When I got Ceddy 14+ months ago as a ca. 18months old juvenile, all she'd eat was seeds, some fruits, peas and corn - refusing just about everything else for 9 months...

I tried everything to get her to eat more variety of foods - NOPE ... until I discovered she loves veggies that had been frozen and defrosted (here's the thread)

From then on, I continued feeding her ready bought frozen veggie mixes (that was also heaven sent when I was in hospital, easy for my friend to feed her), then slowly increasing the variety, and freezing some myself, e.g. pumpkin and sweet potatoe and whatever she wouldn't eat fresh, then again started adding fresh (not frozen) leafy greens, some cooked pasta, rice etc.

Well, it worked: She now eats just about everything I put in front of her, veggies, fruit, pasta, rice, even scrambled eggs, bits of cooked chicken and fish (VERY occasionally) - WHATEVER! :dancing::dance4::dance5::highfive:

The only thing she still refuses is pellets :rolleyes: but I found a good dry food mix that, in addition to some seeds, contains lots of dried/kibbled etc. fruit and veggie varieties and I'm still adding pellets hoping she'll get there one day.

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
those alex's sure love their food lol igor is my best eater out of all my birds he will try anything just some stuff has to soak a bit in his water bowl first lol
way to go ceddy for eating all that good stuff

MollyMouse

:yah::yah::yah: Good job Ceddy. I'm so glad she is eating such a variety of different foods now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so glad she is doing so well, the little rascal

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great job! What a nice story and an inspiration to others to keep trying and to keep adding new food items.

I keep pellets available to the birds all the time but I add pellets to their fresh food bowl and they get eaten right along with the fresh food meal. I think they like them that way because they soak up some of the food juices.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I really pays never to give up trying. You never know what technique will work. :laughing12:

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
What a considerate birdy...to like ready vegies. Have you tried cooking up the mixed pulses (soup mix) you can get at the supermarket? I have just started making them for Dusty and she loves them...mixed with sprouted seeds and defrosted vegies.
Don't worry about the pellets...some experts are starting to question pellets as parrot food... You could add organic wheatgerm oil (health food shop) a few drops in her warm vegies, it provides, A, E and I think (not sure) D vitamins.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Sorry for not responding earlier, everyone. I don't have a computer at the moment and only limited internet access (hopefully back to normal some time soon)

What a considerate birdy...to like ready vegies. Have you tried cooking up the mixed pulses (soup mix) you can get at the supermarket? I have just started making them for Dusty and she loves them...mixed with sprouted seeds and defrosted vegies.
Don't worry about the pellets...some experts are starting to question pellets as parrot food... You could add organic wheatgerm oil (health food shop) a few drops in her warm vegies, it provides, A, E and I think (not sure) D vitamins.
Yes, I've tried the soup mixes - NOPE. However I have added them to bird bread, just that currently I still can't stand in the kitchen for long (broken ankle is on the mend but still gets very sore quickly) - making bird bread is still out for the time being and so is shopping around other than on the internet.

Anyway, this dry food mix (Aussie product) I've been giving her contains an impressive number of goodies, including wheatgerm and other vitamins. It does contain quite a bit of seeds/nuts but we've been struggling to keep her on a healthy weight anyway (she tends to drop a bit too low but has a clean bill of health) - so combine this mix with the fresh foods I'm happy she's getting a good diet now. :)

Last edited:

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Wow featherbaby that mix is very good...nothing wrong with that brew...sorry your leg is still so sore, hope you heal quickly.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Wow featherbaby that mix is very good...nothing wrong with that brew...sorry your leg is still so sore, hope you heal quickly.
Thank you Sue. Yea, it will still take time (was really badly broken AND dislocated with ALL ligaments snapped so it's only to be expected to take a long time) but hopefully will get there eventually!

have you tried dunking her pellets in water a bit first? that's the way both Hulk and Big Bird eats theres.

way to go Ceddy!!!! :dance5:
Erika, yes I've tried softening with water as well as fruit juice, both warm or cold - nothing doing!
I have just found another pellet company (Australian) that's supposed to have a 'natural grassy flavour' and it looks as if my avian vet carries it so I might pop in there soon to see if she'll go for that one. Don't know how many brands I've tried now :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.