• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update-in BAD shape) New Addition Tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: she looks so pitiful. I just don't understand why people have animals to keep them that way. I am glad she is with you now. How is she?

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
If you have any neosporin ointment, you can put a light layer over the area to help in healing. Good luck.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Keep doing what you're doing Kelsey - keep the good food and good water up to her. Without the cause of the wounds (mites) annoying her I think she'll heal fairly quickly - keep an eye on them to make sure they dont look like they're infected.

Has she pooped? Checked for dead worms?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I'm not sure if there are any pharmacies open on Sundays. I'll have to go take a drive and see.

If I don't find neosporin then is there anything else I can use?

I have a long list of antibiotics here (from the avian vet) at home. Would they be any good? I'm not sure which one, how much and how to administer it though. I also have a broad spectrum antibiotic that says I can mix with their water (this one is from the pet shop).

Here are some photos of her bath. It was perfectly clean water before I went to bed last night. Now it has hundreds of black things floating in it. Are these dead mites?

There are biggish ones (about 1mm) and then smaller ones which are half the size of the others.

Steve, yes she has pooped. Overnight it was very sloppy, not nice and tight like I would expect, and the urine was a light shade of green. She had a lot of urates also, but this morning there is a nice balance of urates and feces. It is now also more solid and the urine is even lighter. I haven't actually checked for worms in it yet. I'll go do so now. (That should be fun ;)).

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
oh gosh Kelsey i am so pleased she is with you now. What a terrible state for any bird to be in when they should be with people who love them!

the black in the bath doesnt look like mites to me but its hard to tell in pictures of course. You know to me actually it resembles clusters of flea eggs, so maybe they are mite eggs?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
That sounds very possible! Ugh, if only I still had my microscope! It would be very interesting to see what these look like close-up.

Should I see if I can squish one of those things to see if it is a cluster of things? I saved some in a ziplock baggie and put it in the freezer in case it is important or necessary.

I think Goblin must have eaten ten times her own body weight in food just this morning! :eek: She is eating non-stop. In fact, she only stops long enough to swallow before digging her head back in the seed bowl. She also LOOOOOVES lettuce. :)

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I moved your thread and updated the title, maybe more people will be able to help. Hope this little baby can pull through. Thanks for helping him.:hug8::hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Do you have scatt,I rescued a little one like that before. That looks like mites and put her to your ear if her breathing is raspy then she has sac mites. If you can get a hold of scatt it works great

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, the wounds look serious for a small bird. If it were my bird I would make paste of cayenne pepper and water and coat the wound. The cayenne will promote healing, fight infection and provide pain relief. Cayenne is an amazing herb for healing. There are many links to cayenne and wounds on the internet. We use cayenne for our birds, our dogs and ourselves with excellent results. What antibiotics do you have on hand?

Treating Wounds With Cayenne Pepper

Learn Alternative Health Secrets Of Cayenne Pepper You Really Must Know

gary

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Gary is absolutely correct. I have seen first hand the miracle of using the Cayanne pepper paste. Using it on a birds wing right now that has been having mutilating issues for a long time. Just after a few days, the wing looks almost healed. Great stuff. Please let us know how it works out for your little girl.:hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I just moved this to 911

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Oh my gosh, I hope shes going to be ok! :(
Poor girl.. She'll be in my prayers :)

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all for the support you've showed me and Goblin. She is still a bit itchy but I expect it will take a while before all the mite bites heal. She is not constantly scratching and pecking herself anymore, which is the biggest relief (for her and for me!).

I moved your thread and updated the title, maybe more people will be able to help. Hope this little baby can pull through. Thanks for helping him.:hug8::hug8:
Thank you so much! :)

Do you have scatt,I rescued a little one like that before. That looks like mites and put her to your ear if her breathing is raspy then she has sac mites. If you can get a hold of scatt it works great
Believe it or not, but Scatt is illegal in Australia (even though it is produced here). :rolleyes: It has something to do about it not being approved for use on birds yet.

I have treated her for mites with Ivermectin. This is the next best thing to use. The only difference is that Scatt is a lot safer to use on birds as it is more difficult to overdose.

Hi, the wounds look serious for a small bird. If it were my bird I would make paste of cayenne pepper and water and coat the wound. The cayenne will promote healing, fight infection and provide pain relief. Cayenne is an amazing herb for healing. There are many links to cayenne and wounds on the internet. We use cayenne for our birds, our dogs and ourselves with excellent results. What antibiotics do you have on hand?

Treating Wounds With Cayenne Pepper

Learn Alternative Health Secrets Of Cayenne Pepper You Really Must Know

gary
THANK YOU! :hug8:

I'm so scared she'll go into shock again if I handle her. Is there any way I can reduce the risk of this happening?

I have the following antibiotics:

- Meloxicam Suspension (0.5mg/ml)
- Baycox (2.5% Toltrazuril)
- Doxyvet Liquid (50mg/ml)
- Baytril (Not sure of the strength as it isn't on the lable)
- Avicycline C (Chlortetracycline Hydrochloride 100mg/g)
- Coccivet (Amprolium 80g/L, Ethopabate 5.1g/L)

I also have Paw Paw Ointment, Probotic and Potassium Permanganate (this one is to stop bleeding).

Gary is absolutely correct. I have seen first hand the miracle of using the Cayanne pepper paste. Using it on a birds wing right now that has been having mutilating issues for a long time. Just after a few days, the wing looks almost healed. Great stuff. Please let us know how it works out for your little girl.:hug8:
Thank you so much for all your help! I have some Cayenne pepper in the pantry. I will have to wait until my partner comes home tonight before I can do anything. Actually, I might be able to do it myself.

I just moved this to 911
Thank you! :hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I hope that she is Ok soon!:hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:( Omg! that's ugh, so awful. I don't know what to say.

I hope she's better soon, you're helping her tremendously! :hug8::hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
It has been 24 hours since Goblin has had her dose of Ivermectin. She is still alive and is perching tonight. :)

I just switched off her light and she is sleeping.

Goodnight baby Goblin! :hug8:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Good update Kelsey :D

Status
Not open for further replies.