• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update-in BAD shape) New Addition Tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
"Egg & Biscuit", mixed wet and warm, might help, if she regains enough strength. I'd also offer Soluvet-Plus, or similar, in her water to try and up her energy intake. I really hope she shows signs of improving Kelsey but I dont think it would be wise to get too attached at the moment :(

In hindsight (always a wonderful thing..) I would have recommended getting her eating and drinking, to up her strength, before worming.

Last edited:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Yes, if things improve then I'll also give her sprouts as well as apple and all the other good stuff.

Yes, I wish I had waited before I wormed her now! :( She was scratching herself so much that she didn't eat anything at all today (or so my family says). She just kept scratching and scraping her eyes and beak on the cage bars. So I'm not sure if leaving her with mites and worms would have been an option though. I think she is too far gone to go much longer without proper food. I mean how much nutrition can you really get if you have so many worms that they are actually dangling out your vent!?

This is terrible! :( I am so upset that it has gone this far. I hope her mate wasn't in too much pain. :(

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I have my suspicions about her mate 'escaping' given this girl's health....

Sorry if i've missed it - have you sprayed the mites?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
:(

I treated her with Ivermectin which will get rid of all types of mites and worms in one shot (well, she needs to be treated again in 10-14 days). No spray needed. I don't use the mite and lice sprays available at petshops because it can do more harm than good.

I quietly peeked into the room and she is still on the bottom of the cage, but her eyes are open and she is looking around. I hope this is a good sign.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kelsey, this is so sad! I am sorry because I know you were really excited. This poor little girl sounds very sick. I sincerely hope you can pull her through. Please keep us updated.
Hugs to you and prayers winging their way to this little yellow canary.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Hugs and good thoughts coming your way! :hug8:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I found this interesting information on Dr Rob Marshall's website -

Ivermectin type medicine
Is a remarkable product given in the drinking water which not only kills lice, mites and flies, but also roundworms and the blood parasites found in the parrots of Queensland. It is perfectly safe to use in breeding birds and during the moult. Ivermectin kills those ecto-parasites which live on the bird, suck blood or skin scale, but it does not kill quill mites.
Good that she's hanging in :)

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for all the good thoughts for Goblin! :hug8:

I found this interesting information on Dr Rob Marshall's website -

Good that she's hanging in :)
I use the spot-on type Ivermectin which does kill quill mites as well.

So you think it's a good sign that she's still looking around even though she's not perching? I'm so desperate to pull this little girl through this. She's been through so much. :(

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Thank you for all the good thoughts for Goblin! :hug8:

I use the spot-on type Ivermectin which does kill quill mites as well.

So you think it's a good sign that she's still looking around even though she's not perching? I'm so desperate to pull this little girl through this. She's been through so much. :(
I would suggest that she has sore little footsies and needs time to recover from the trim.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Here are the photos of her back. This is the part right below her neck and between the two wings. These are also not pleasant to look at...

Any ideas what that whitish/yellowish coloured skin thing is in the first photo? Fat under the skin?

I just checked on her and she is still alive.

Also, should this be moved to bird health (with a different thread name)?

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
No idea what it is, the whole area looks irritated :(

Keep her quiet and warm and continue to do what you've been doing.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Yes, that is fatty tissue. I know you are doing everything possible for this little girl, but it looks like the previous owners have left her to deteriate too long before contacting you. Right now she is suffering. You may have to make a very tough decision. You are very special to take on this responsiblity of this baby. I wish you the very best of luck.:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I was scared of that. :(

It is 10:30pm where I live and tomorrow is Sunday. No vets are open, especially not avian vets. What do I do? Do you think she is in immense pain? :( I don't want her to be hurt.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh dear, Kelsey, what a terrible thing to happen to this little precious girl....and to you. You were so excited to get her. :(
I know you are being careful to keep her hydrated especially now.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I'm so sorry, I did not realize where you are. If you do not have a emergency clinic around, in this case it really doesn't if they are avian or not, basic triage can work for any animal. Or if you choose to go the other route they can help you also with that. If no clinic is available, the I would just keep her warm and hydrated and offer soft foods from your fingers if she will take it. It is important to keep the open wounds as clean as possible, but I know it's going to be tough with one so tiny. I wish you the best of luck. We are here for you.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you so much for the help! It is now 5:30am here and I just saw something that has my heart beating so fast!

Goblin is perching AND munching on some millet sprays!!!!! :dancing:
She isn't scratching herself as much as yesterday. In fact, compared to yesterday it is as if she isn't scratching at all!

Oh, I hope these are good signs. What do I give her/do with her today?

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
That's fantastic!! What a will to live. If she is eating, let her go for it. How do the wounds on her back look? Are they gaping of just slit? Hope that made sense. If they are open she is going to be prone to infection, so they must be kept clean. Some antibiotics would be beneficial also. Please keep us posted.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Her back does not have very many feathers. It is just bare. You can't really see it though unless you part the feathers.

There seems to be a lot of folds of skin and depressions everywhere. Ummm, depressions as in what you would see on an anorexic person... Like bones are really prominent and skin is sagging into skeletal cavities. I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain it properly. I've never seen this on a bird.

The actual open wounds are small circular openings. You can see one in this photo between her wings:

They look like scabs that have been scratched open?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
was hard to respond, as i know you need medical advice for the sweet little bird, and i have none to give:(.
is hard to respond because i cant believe someone kept her like that, and looked at her everyday. i just dont have words.
bless you for taking her, and i sincerely hope she recovers, and can live a life she was supposed to...to want for nothing, and spend the days singing happy canary songs.
please keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.