• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

* Update #24* I found where the blood is coming from on Greycie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
How is she and you? I would have missed that as well. It's just not an area that I routinely look over but I will file that away for future reference. Hope she's feeling better!:hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby girl,so glad you were able to figure out what the problem was.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
The vet trip was very frustrating. Different vet same clinic. Not sure I'll return to it.
So all she could talk about was how hard Greycie was breathing. I told her she doesn't breath that hard at home and that I wasn't noticing her holding her wings out as much. So she almost didn't even examine her back. But she did and she more or less said it was like when a dog gets a hot spot and gets it raw and the dog keeps agitating it. Greycie is NOT picking at it! It might of come from one of the other budgies on Monday. I still don't know. But I guess it's nothing to do with her preen gland just a sore.
And this vet thought she *might* have air sack mites too because of how hard she was breathing. Once again she just had a 45 minute car ride, she's in a small travel container in this strange place and she's a untamed bird. Come on do they expect her to be relaxed?!
So they treated her for air sack mites as well. This one didn't even listen to her chest. It's all just :yelling:. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with the diagnosis.
But they did give me some free Baytril and I didn't have to pay for the exam. It's a good thing they don't have a smiley for what I'm thinking in my head.:o:
So I'm to continue to give her the baytril and now I have some silver sulfa ointment to put on her wound area. I tried to take pictures of the sore spot on her back but I just don't know how to work my camera well enough to get a good one.:(

What is this ointment stuff? Is it good stuff? Is there something better I could get to put on it?
I just can't help but think about taking her to a avain(non certified) vet that I have yet to use. But I don't know if I should stress her more. She's lost 5 grams since Monday. She is eating though. Luckily she was on the heavy side at 44 grams to start with. But now another worry. I have a scale so I'll be weighing her twice a day when I have her out to medicate.
I'm just frustrated, I wish I felt she was for sure getting the treatment she needs. But I still question that.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Neither one of those vets sound like they know anything. Your instincts are right. Keep an eye on her with the mite treatment to see if she improves but also to make sure she doesn't have an adverse reaction. I would put warm compresses on her owie, and use a tiny bit of the cream to keep her feathers from getting mucked up and keep an eye on that to make sure she doesnt' have an allergic reaction to that. I am so sorry you can't find a competent vet. My advice to you is stick up for your birds, if in the future, you don't think the diagnoses is correct or the treatment is the right one, politely but firmly decline to have it done. Hopefully now you can get her going in the right direction.

Ginger

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Susan, I'm so sorry that the vet visit didn't go as planned.. I'm praying that Greycie is better soon! You're doing a great job helping her, it's the vet's fault, they sound like they know basically nothing.. :/ I would probably go to the other bird vet too even if they weren't CAV, it has to be better than those other people. Keep a eye on her and keep us posted!

:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm so sorry your vet visits didn't go well. I'd try and look around forth another vet if you can. :( It sounds like they weren't quite sure of what they were looking for or at.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: Thanks everyone. I think I'll just watch her closely the next few days and see how she's doing. I really don't want to stress her out with another trip if I don't have to. But it is really tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.