• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

* Update #24* I found where the blood is coming from on Greycie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She's got a scabbed area back by her preen gland. It all makes sense now. Blood on her beak and head.
I feel bad for not checking her whole body over before now. But then again I paid a vet to do that for me and thinking of it now the vet totally neglected looking her back over. This is where the blood is coming from. I am so mad right now at the vet and myself. So I think I'm going to have Tom call the vets office and see if I can't have the other avain vet examine her. I will take some of the blame for not checking her back out before.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Well, now you know...does it look enlarged, like it could be "stopped" up? Can you take a picture of it? and YES, I also would call the vet and complain and ask him to take a look at it (see if he has email and send picture if possible) because you shouldn't have to pay for another exam on something he missed!:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'll try to get a picture. Was in a hurry this morning to get my son to school in time which we got to his door just as the bell went off. There are 2 "avian vets" at this office. I refuse to have my birds be seen by the one who saw her on Monday. I already have a complementary check up to make sure she is better so I shouldn't have to pay. I'm hoping to get her in today. I think they owe me that. If not I'll take her to another avian vet in town. We only have 1 certified avian vet and I've used him twice and I'll try every other non certified avain vet before I go back to him.
I checked her over everywhere but her back. I stretched her wings out, looked in her beak, felt her head over just didn't check her back.:( I'm just really hoping it's nothing serious.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh I am so glad you figured it out. It's not her preening gland right, just near it? I also would be very firm with the "avian" vet. His job is to do a complete examination.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm relieved you fund where it's coming from. Now you can get it looked at. :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
I hope that Greycie gets a clean bill of health.

If her uropygial gland is blocked it could be causing some discomfort and that may be why she is picking back there.

Keep us updated.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive healing wishes for Greycie!:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I just got her out and used a cotton swab to part the feathers and it's bad. There's what looks like puss and everything.:sad8: I couldn't get any pictures of it when I was checking it out since both hands were busy but here are some pictures of her back. You can see how it's hardly noticeable. I just pray it's something that can easily be treated and that it quickly heals.:sad5:
IMG_6429.jpg IMG_6428.jpg

I just feel so bad that I didn't personally check her over. Never again will I screw up like this again. I have to wait until 5 again to have her be seen by a different vet.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't blame yourself! You saw blood on the face and expected it to be from that area. Thankfully you found the problem. I agree the vet should have done a thorough check. I hope she is soon feeling better!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The good news is, even though the vet really did an incomplete job, she is on an antibiotic and that will help. Also you persisted in doing what any good Mommy would do, you continued to investigate and found out what the real problem was. Don't fault yourself, how were you to know when you took her to an avian vet. Hugs to you and Greycie. :hug8:

Ginger

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
What Ginger and everyone else said. :hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
If it is a infected preen gland what is the treatment? If it's going to cost too much is there anyway I can treat it at home? I wish I could get a picture of the area for you guys to see. It just looks so bad. I'm just so worried. Should I set up a 10 gallon instead of having her in a little cage? I haven't been keeping her covered because that makes her more nervous. Should I start covering her. Would adding ACV to her water help the situation? What more can I do here at home? Should I try putting cayenne pepper on it now? Or should I just leave it alone until the vet looks at it?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can start with warm compresses, heat some sterile water, dip your wash cloth in it, ring out and press it over the boo boo. I would NOT put her in a fish tank, it is very foreign and scary for them. I would keep her confined in her small cage tent 3 sides and the top if you need to retain heat. Just makes sure your heating pad is only under one half of the cage, or that the light bulb is not shining directly on her, or too close to the tent, you don't want to set it on fire. :eek:

Ginger

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, I'm so sorry, but I'm so glad you kept looking and found the source of the blood, keep us posted!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I hope Graycie feels better.. :hug8: Sending over many healing vibes and a big hug for you.. :hug8:

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Well, mystery solved! And now the blood on her head and beak make all the sense in the world. I hope she gets a thorough exam at the vet (this time!) and she starts to feel better soon. Poor baby :-(

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Well, mystery solved! And now the blood on her head and beak make all the sense in the world. I hope she gets a thorough exam at the vet (this time!) and she starts to feel better soon. Poor baby :-(
Yes mystery solved! I saw those few feathers looking just not right this morning and :idea: it all made sense. So got her back out and sure enough that's where the problem is.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am happy this mystery has been solved for you! I had a tiel that had an infected preen gland. I took her in to the vet in the afternoon, he lanced it, (some anesthesia,of course) kept her overnight. I picked her up the next day with a prescription for antiobiotics. No collar to keep her from picking at it - he felt that would stress her more. She didn't pick at it and she quickly recovered from it. I had to towel her to give her the antibiotics and I could tell after a couple of days that she must not have been in any pain anymore because she kept squirming as she usually does whenever I had to use a towel for one reason or another. Hope Greycie recovers just as easily!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great detective work.

Status