• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

* Update #23 * Greycie has blood on her head

Status
Not open for further replies.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Glad to hear all is well. Imagine going for one thing and finding out the vet caught something that could have become something worse.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Gave her her medicine this morning for the first time. The vet gave her her first dose last night. Hoping some of it made it into her beak. I had the shakes.:o:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She's got more on her again.:confused: She's still acting pretty much normal minus her little "cold". I just don't understand where it's coming from. It's on the same place of her head on both sides again and everything. It's not coming up through her feathers it's somehow getting on the tops of them right above both eyes. I'm just puzzled. I wish the vet could of given me a better answer. Wish I could afford to take her into another avian vet, I think there's one more in the valley who I've never used.
I'm really feeling frustrated.:(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is so strange, Susan. Are you absolutely sure it's blood? If she were my bird I'd get a chair and sit there for a couple of hours watching her to find out what is going on. It could be she's sneezing it out and shaking her head or scratching her head with her nails or another budgie could be involved. :sadhug2:

Last edited:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She's been in the hospital cage by herself since Monday. So no other bird involved. I don't know anything else it could be. It dries like blood and everything, goes from being bright red to dark red.:( I think I will sit back and watch her and see if any more appears. Her nostrils are clear but she does have it on the tip of her beak again and a spot right by her beak. The only new thing in her environment within the last week would be finger traps. Do you think they could be causing this somehow?:confused: I made them a toy the other day and then my daughter put some in her hospital cage that she's chewed up.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I would watch her play with the finger traps and see if she is being scratched by them. Then later on today take them out and see if it still happens. Is there red dye on the finger traps? Is it happening even when she's not getting wet (to answer John's earlier question)? Since it's in the same place as before makes me wonder if she's scratching herself due to pin feathers coming in and being itchy. I'm glad you're going to sit and watch her.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Could she be messing with a blood feather and then smearing it on her face?

Ginger

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Well when I watch her she sits there like this :scared2:. I haven't seen or felt any pin feathers when I've gave her head scratches when I'm holding her for her meds and she didn't get wet today. I'll try watching her where maybe she won't notice me. When the vet examined her she did say she was getting alot of new feathers in on her wings. So tonight when I have her out to give her her meds I'll check her wings over to see if maybe that's a possibility. It's just puzzling me and I want to know where it's coming from. Do you think maybe I should try getting some slippery elm isn't that what it's called and giving some of that to her. Is that ok to give with Baytril? It just really seems to me as though it's coming out of her beak. But even then I think wouldn't there be some blood splatter or something? As I said I'm just confused and concerned.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would give her a good once over. Look at all her feathers, her feet, her nares, her preen glan, her vent. Get a flash light and have someone hold it for you while you look.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor girlie....I would say a second opinion is in order for sure...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.