• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

* Update #23 * Greycie has blood on her head

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Misted all the birds about 30 minutes ago and just went and was watching my budgies and noticed Greycie has blood on her head and the tip of her beak.:eek: It's not alot just alittle bit kinda above her eyes on both sides.:confused: She's acting normal. Put some millet in there which they haven't had in forever and she went right over ad started eating away on it. Her beak looks fine, she looks fine, everybody else looks fine. The blood on the tip has since gotten rubbed off with her eating the millet. I just don't know how in the world she got blood on her.:confused: I'm just really confussed and concerned as to how it got there. I really don't want to stress her unless it's necessary.
All 5 of them in that cage are not tame and freak out when I have to put my hand in their cage. Catching her would be a nightmare.
Here's a picture
IMG_6382.jpg
I'm going to keep a very close eye on her and if she starts acting strange I'll call the vet. I won't be able to take her in if needed until after 4 because I have to pick my son up from school.
So please say a little prayer it's nothing and she'll end up being perfectly fine.:( November and December always end up being crappy months for me with my birds for some reason. Really hoping I can make it through this winter without loosing anyone. Well make it through the next couple years would be really nice.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Could it be anyone else's blood? Look at all their feet. Has she eaten anything red? Is there a red toy in there that she could have gotten the color from? Many prayers that it's nothing serious.

Ginger

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I looked everyone over and everyone is fine. Nothing red she ate and no red toys it could of come from. I've looked all over to see if there's any blood splatter anywhere and can't see anything. I just changed their papers too so it'd be easy to spot. I just don't have a clue as to where it came from. My worst fear with it being on her beak is that she vomited it or something. :sad5:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I enlarged the pic as much as I could to see if there was any blood on those two toy balls but didn't see any but you may want to look inside the balls for any blood. I would be concerned about those sharp pointy broken edges. Take a good look around the cage for any indication of blood on anything and also look at the other budgies. Perhaps there was a little altercation between her and a cage buddy? Watch her and see if you notice any unusual scratching going on indicating itchiness. :hug8:

~ Posted at the same time as you, Ginger. :)

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yeah I know I've been meaning to buy them new ones and take the old ones out. I just took them out.:o: I think I'm going to see if my family will help me so I can take her in. It almost seems she's holding her wings out a bit.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm relieved you took the balls out because after looking at them again it appears to me a curious budgie might be able to get his head stuck. You may want to take them to the vet with you as a possibility. I hope it's nothing serious. :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
hope she's OK!!!:hug8: Keep us posted!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Sending over healing vibes.. :hug8: And some hugs for you too.. :hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Have a appointment to take her in at 5:30. Does anyone else use Kritter Keepers for carriers for small birds? I think I saw someone mention they did and I think that'd be a warmer option for her then the smallish cage I have. I'll be able to update you all sometime after 7 probably. My avain vet is about 45 minutes away. Wish me luck in catching her. She does not like hands at all. Oh I hate stressing them when they don't feel good.:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Saying prayers that you have a stress free trip to the vets and that if there is something wrong they will be able to find it right away and fix it.

Ginger

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
praying that she's ok, that it doesn't cost too much and that its easily fixed!:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
We're home. She has a respiratory infection.:( The whole blood thing is still a mystery. The vet did say sometimes with the respiratory infection they can have discharge that looks like blood.:confused: So she's on Baytril 0.03 mLs twice daily for 10 days. I also had them remove her band since she was there and already in their hands. She was very frightened at first but by the time we were ready to go she wasn't panting anymore. And she got her wings and toenails trimmed. Having her trimmed will make the next 10 days alot easier. The vet said she has alot of new feathers coming in so I'm hoping she won't be flightless for long.
So for the next 10 days she'll be in her own cage. Right now she's in my hospital cage but tomorrow I plan on going and getting a "parakeet" sized cage out of storage and setting it up for her.

Thank you Ginger, Marie, Victoria and Tiffany for your thoughts and prayers. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is a very simple answer to this. When they have new bloodfeathers/sprouts there is blood in the shaft and if you get the feathers wet a tiny bit of the blood in that feather will wick it's way to the end of the feather. This only happened after you got the feathers wet right?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yes it was after I misted her. The thing that threw me off was that it was on her beak and after that with keeping a close eye on her I noticed she was holding her wings out alittle bit.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
I'm glad she's Ok and it's a good thing you took her.. poor baby:( You're welcome! Keep us posted on how she's doing!:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well I'm glad you took her, you wouldn't have known about the respiratory illness if you hadn't been concerned about the blood. Many prayers she takes her meds and makes a complete recovery without too much stress.

Ginger

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that she recovers quickly and stress free.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So glad you decided to take her in and relieved it alerted you to a different problem that can now be remedied. I hope she recovers well. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.