• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Update #23) Does anyone here have experience with Corvids? I will be getting a Corvus albicollis.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
It's great that you are doing so much research but try not to worry too much. Corvids survive on some very random diets and in very harsh conditions.

As far as peanuts go, I just avoid them altogether in any form. Others feed peanut butter, but I just prefer not to. I dislike peanut butter anyway, so I don't have any in the house :)

I found this site, that has information about Diet for an African Pied Crow, so another Corvid from Africa.

'Diet
Although they take an incredibly wide range of foods, Pied Crows have distinct carnivorous leanings. Rodents, carrion, eggs and insects form a large part of the natural diet.

Uploaded to Wikipedia Commons by Greg Hume

Crow owners have had success with diets based on cat and dog foods, but I prefer a diet similar to that I’ve used for many Corvid species in zoos. Commercial bird-of-prey diet, into which I mix pigeon pellets and softbill food, provides the bulk of their food intake. I believe that whole mice (or chicks) and insects are essential in assuring proper calcium intake and general good health. Tossing a handful of crickets or other insects into your crow’s aviary is a wonderful way to keep the bird occupied, especially if the insects are able to hide. Canned grasshoppers, snails and other invertebrates can be used to provide critical dietary variety. A wide range of vegetables, chopped nuts, and fruits (in moderate amounts) should also be provided. Hard-boiled eggs are an especially favored treat.

The Pied Crow’s natural diet contains a good number of whole animals, and is likely calcium-rich. In addition to pink or adult mice, pets should receive calcium and vitamin/mineral supplements. Natural sunlight and full spectrum bulbs will help assure adequate Vitamin D levels.'

Crows as Pets: The African Pied Crow, a Most Intelligent Bird It seems that this person has worked with Corvids in zoos and it looks like they may have some interesting links. I'm sure you could email them.

I also found this http://www.riverbanks.org/subsite/pact/corvids.pdf - perhaps you could hunt down other material by the author?

Here are some other links that may be of use. I'm at work so can't read them properly to check:
White-necked Raven Corvus albicollis
camelsandfriends.com
White-necked Raven - Pictures and facts - Birds @ thewebsiteofeverything.com

Also, some links on high iron foods:
Top 10 Foods Highest in Iron
Top 10 Iron-Rich Foods: Foods High in Iron

You could try contacting some zoos that keep them and see if they could give you guidance on diet? If you get hold of a keeper that loves Corvids, I'm sure they'd be willing to give you lots of info. Also, see if you can contact people who post videos of their Ravens on Youtube or have blogs about them. Bird people are always willing to share.

Have you read Corvid by Esther Woolfson? It's a beautiful book about a woman who rescued various members of the corvid family over the years.
Also, Caw of the Wild:Observations from the Secret World of Crows by Barb Kirpluk?

Anyway, like the breeder says, they are highly adaptable. Bird nutrition is still massively under debate for captive parrots, so probably even more so for captive corvids. Sometimes you just have to make educated assumptions and feed what you think is best.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
It's great that you are doing so much research but try not to worry too much.

Me worry, you must be joking :lol: . But seriously, thank you for reading and responding to my posts and making me feel better.

Corvids survive on some very random diets and in very harsh conditions.

You are right. I have been told this by you, the breeder, other people, and various articles keep reminding me...I just need to say calm :bash:.

As far as peanuts go, I just avoid them altogether in any form. Others feed peanut butter, but I just prefer not to. I dislike peanut butter anyway, so I don't have any in the house :)

I got ya and I will do as you say. I will just not be sharing my peanut butter with the bird. I sadly, :heart: peanut butter.

I found this site, that has information about Diet for an African Pied Crow, so another Corvid from Africa.

'Diet
Although they take an incredibly wide range of foods, Pied Crows have distinct carnivorous leanings. Rodents, carrion, eggs and insects form a large part of the natural diet.

Uploaded to Wikipedia Commons by Greg Hume

Crow owners have had success with diets based on cat and dog foods, but I prefer a diet similar to that I’ve used for many Corvid species in zoos. Commercial bird-of-prey diet, into which I mix pigeon pellets and softbill food, provides the bulk of their food intake. I believe that whole mice (or chicks) and insects are essential in assuring proper calcium intake and general good health. Tossing a handful of crickets or other insects into your crow’s aviary is a wonderful way to keep the bird occupied, especially if the insects are able to hide. Canned grasshoppers, snails and other invertebrates can be used to provide critical dietary variety. A wide range of vegetables, chopped nuts, and fruits (in moderate amounts) should also be provided. Hard-boiled eggs are an especially favored treat.

Thank you very very much. I will be using live invertebrates.

The Pied Crow’s natural diet contains a good number of whole animals, and is likely calcium-rich. In addition to pink or adult mice, pets should receive calcium and vitamin/mineral supplements.

This just might be my stupid computer/tablet/phone (I tried it on all) but I can't get that link to open :depressed: .

Natural sunlight and full spectrum bulbs will help assure adequate Vitamin D levels.'

Are these the full spectrum bulbs that are used on reptiles or the ones used on parrots? Again, none of my three electronic devices could open that link...sigh...and sorry.

Crows as Pets: The African Pied Crow, a Most Intelligent Bird It seems that this person has worked with Corvids in zoos and it looks like they may have some interesting links. I'm sure you could email them.

I will be emailing them and thank you, for the great IDEA!!!!!!

I also found this http://www.riverbanks.org/subsite/pact/corvids.pdf - perhaps you could hunt down other material by the author?

Yes, I will most definitely try. I make it to the Bronx Zoo a few times a year (I am a nerd with NO life). So, I can hopefully find the author or someone with just as much experience/knowledge and is willing to share there information with a lay person such as myself.

Here are some other links that may be of use. I'm at work so can't read them properly to check:

White-necked Raven Corvus albicollis

Very interesting and thank you.

camelsandfriends.com

That was by far the BEST one I found. Glad you felt it was worthy of being mentioned.

White-necked Raven - Pictures and facts - Birds @ thewebsiteofeverything.com

That one was very informative to and thank you again!

Also, some links on high iron foods:
Top 10 Foods Highest in Iron

I am a tad confused by that one. Only because, in nature/the wild state Corvids (the larger ones of course) would eat the liver and such organs given a chance. I guess this comes down to the idea/concept that a captive Corvid will have a different nutritional needs then a wild one. Of course, if you have a better hypothesis just let me know.

Top 10 Iron-Rich Foods: Foods High in Iron

Thank you. I noticed some nuts on that link, are the same as people use as treats. I am just so :( that I will hurt this bird. I know I know...deep breath... :) .

You could try contacting some zoos that keep them and see if they could give you guidance on diet?

Wow, you are brilliant, IMHO. That is a GREAT IDEA!

If you get hold of a keeper that loves Corvids, I'm sure they'd be willing to give you lots of info.

I definitely hope so :) .

Also, see if you can contact people who post videos of their Ravens on Youtube or have blogs about them. Bird people are always willing to share.

I am so umm....dumb/ditsy that I did not think of that, until you told me. :hug8: !

Have you read Corvid by Esther Woolfson? It's a beautiful book about a woman who rescued various members of the corvid family over the years.

Nope and never heard of it until just now. I will look into acquiring it soon.

Also, Caw of the Wild:Observations from the Secret World of Crows by Barb Kirpluk?

:bag: Nope, never heard of that either. I will add that to my list of books I want to acquire in the near future. :hug8: !!!!!

Anyway, like the breeder says, they are highly adaptable.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just need to remember that.

Bird nutrition is still massively under debate for captive parrots, so probably even more so for captive corvids.

That is very very true. Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you just have to make educated assumptions and feed what you think is best.

Again, you are completely correct. I am just scared to assume anything and hurt the bird. I am mainly worried about the "iron storage disease". I am of course also VERY worried MY BEST ISN'T nearly "GOOD ENOUGH".
@VictoriaVague Please note, my responses are in red and thanks :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: !

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
First of all, I want to THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. You have all been amazing. By amazing I mean imparting knowledge onto me and helping me with some very basic and fundamental questions.

I just found out, yesterday, that I will not be getting my Corvus albicollis (White-necked Raven) this year :( . I did know that was really a possibility since: A) I sent in my deposit so late (I did not know this species of bird breeds once a year only) and B) I want a PURE meaning non hybridize Corvus albicollis. I just want to point out, the only reason that I want a pure specimen is I :heart: the look of them. It is not for some "moral/ethical reason".

I also have to say, my dealings with The Corvid Ranch to date are amazing. He was trying to find me a hybrid (that are not all black but still a Raven not a Raven x Crow cross) that I would want. He even offered a chick from a Corvus albicollis (male) x a Corvus ruficollis (female). I have to say if that chick was a male, I think that would have "done the trick". I can post a photo of her, if you all want. She looks amazing and is HUGE. I just do not want a female as I want NO WORRIES of egg binding in my pet specimen.

Lastly, the owner of the Corvid Ranch, true to his word, offer me the deposit back. Furthermore, he put me in contact with two other breeders, that he trusted if I wanted my pure Corvus albicollis chick this year. Plus, he said those breeders would take the deposit I gave The Corvid Ranch and put it towards there chick. I think that is amazingly kind :heart: . However, I declined due to the fact that I most definitely want one from The Corvid Ranch. I have heard too many good things and he has just been too kind at least up till now, for me to want to go with anyone else. Plus, I am first for next years pure Corvus albicollis male chick.

I really hope times passes quickly :D . Again, I can't thank you all enough :hug8: !

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:hug8: Hope your wait doesn't feel too long.

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I'm so, so sorry that you won't be getting your baby this year! At least now you know that you'll definitely be getting the male that you want :) And more time to prepare! ;) :p I hope the time goes by very soon, and I will be waiting with you to finally see pics of your special baby :D ;) :hug8:

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I live with a Hybrid Raven called Corvus who came from Corvid Ranch two years ago. My first advice would be relax. Find yourself a good Avian vet and enjoy the ride. A water bottle is a must, the water bowl gets dumped before it gets dirty. Feeding is a challenge but I have a recipe I will share for your base food then you get to add all the fun stuff including fish.
Winding Woods Ranch is your best source for advice and Anklets/jesses. Brian will send your baby with a cheap pair then buy a set or two from Daniel at Winding Woods, after that make your own using those as a pattern. Also get the tether set up and you can fly your bird outdoors even without the fancy aviary you dream of. We leave the anklets/jesses on 24/7 and suggest you do the same. Kind of becomes part of them after a while and make all the difference in your training/handling.
It is difficult to find others who live with corvids but we are out here. I'm gonna read as much of your stuff as I can and I'll get back with more info if I have it.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
:hug8: Hope your wait doesn't feel too long.
It feels long already :hehe: . But seriously, all good things come to those who wait :D .

I'm so, so sorry that you won't be getting your baby this year!
Thank you :hug8: .

At least now you know that you'll definitely be getting the male that you want :)
Yes and a pure, as in not hybridized specimen at that :D !

And more time to prepare! ;) :p
:hehe: , like that is just what you and everyone else wanted :rolleyes: . Thank you, in all seriousness and all joking aside, for your time and patience with me :) .
I hope the time goes by very soon, and I will be waiting with you to finally see pics of your special baby :D ;) :hug8:
Yes, my Corvus albicollis will be special...even if it is just to me :) . I tend to go a tad wacko with the photo's, so you might regret ever asking for picture's :rofl: .

Hi, I live with a Hybrid Raven called Corvus who came from Corvid Ranch two years ago.
Hi :bounce3: ,

I can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences with me.

My first advice would be relax.
Okay, I am terrible at that :bag: :dead: , but I will learn, I promise :D !

Find yourself a good Avian vet and enjoy the ride.
My question at the moment is this: the only avian veterinarian that I can find is used to dealing with Psittaciformes of various species. Would that be a good vet for my Corvus albicollis and or Corvids in general?

A water bottle is a must, the water bowl gets dumped before it gets dirty.
That is fantastic to know, since I made a thread about that exact issue and it can be seen here: How does someone train a Corvid to drink from a water bottle? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum .

Feeding is a challenge
Despite 10 to 15 years of breeding and keeping birds, I am beyound worried about my Corvids diet. Mainly the part about is Hemochromatosis.

but I have a recipe I will share for your base food then you get to add all the fun stuff including fish.
Please share your recipe. I can't thank you enough for imparting your vast knowledge onto me :) ! I made a thread on feeding a Corvid in captivity and that can be seen here: How to feed omnivorous Corvids in captivity...your thoughts please? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum . The part that I find most daunting, despite having having hand fed hundreds of Psittaciformes chicks, will be hand feeding my Corvid. I made a thread on that too and it can be seen here: Looking for information on hand feeding a Corvid. Specifically a Corvus albicollis/White-Necked Rave | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum .

Winding Woods Ranch is your best source for advice and Anklets/jesses.
How was he to deal with? I spoke to him (at least I think) and he was not all that pleasant. But, I will try again...when the time comes.

Brian will send your baby with a cheap pair then buy a set or two from Daniel at Winding Woods, after that make your own using those as a pattern.
Okay will do :) :) :) ! I made a thread on Jesses and it can be seen here: Jess(s) for a White-necked Raven (Corvus albicollis) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum .

Also get the tether set up and you can fly your bird outdoors even without the fancy aviary you dream of.
I am guessing your bird is not free flighted? I had always done that, with the three pet parrots that I had, over the years. I had thought that would be what I was doing with my Corvid. I will buy the tether set up. I saw that on a YouTube video. A question about it: In my humble opinion, it looks a little "low". Is there a way to make it so the specimen can fly higher?

We leave the anklets/jesses on 24/7 and suggest you do the same.
I will do that :D . I follow instructions fairly well :rofl: .

Kind of becomes part of them after a while and make all the difference in your training/handling.
Can you explain that part in microscopic detail please :) ? I have read that and am just confused :banghead: . I mean they do not have the beak of parrot, so how hard could training and handling be?

It is difficult to find others who live with corvids but we are out here.
Yes, it is indeed difficult. I have owned a lot of exotic animals but even some of those species, it was not so hard to find owners when compared to finding Corvid owners.

I'm gonna read as much of your stuff as I can and I'll get back with more info if I have it.
Thank you, thank you thank you and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
So many questions.
Our vet is a gem. Vast experience with parrots (we have 4) and limited experience with corvids. She has a few starling and rehab crow patients and bird anatomy is bird anatomy. She consults with other experts as needed and we make out fine.

Yeah, we started out with a water bowl but being clever these guys figure out how to dump it no matter how secure you think you have made it. All I did to 'train' was hang the bottle. He drank from it right away. Have at least two for each enclosure (indoor and outdoor). Alternate bottles daily and occasionally swoosh the feeding tip in a solution of bleach(few drops to a cup of water) or other disinfectant.

We had an issue with feeding too much protein. this led to a problem with the kidneys. About $1000.00 later we adjusted his diet and things are much improved. How I noticed was he started 'stargazing' a behavior where there turn their head to the sky appearing to be staring at nothing there. It's a muscle spasm and if left alone will eventually kill them.

Our base food does contain dog food.

Start with a quality puppy chow (not Purina) we use Royal Cannin.
Dump the whole bag in a large pot or bucket just for birdy.
add 2 cups unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter, small bag mixed frozen vegetables (unthawed), 3 bananas cut up. Let that all sit while you cut up and boil a pot full of sweet potatoes (2 large or about 4 cups) cut up with skins on and cook a small box of pasta (whole wheat or vegetable small shapes) about 4 cups cooked. Add the potatoes and noodles to the big pot or bucket and stir it all together.

This will now be portioned and frozen. its enough for about 6 weeks of breakfasts. I feed this four days a week and fish (salmon, sardines etc. on the other days) In the afternoons when he goes outside I give him a frozen mouse or day old chick. He actually prefers them right from the freeer so that's easy. Meal worms only once a week (10-20 of the super worms) sometimes crickets and he finds his own earth worms and beetles outside. A slice of whole wheat bread or a bun are fun as he can rip and hide pieces to his heats content.

As with the parrots we share some healthy dinner foods and he gets a share or the parrots beans and rice or what have you.

Because of the kidney issues we also feed a lot of watermelon strawberrys and cucumbers for the water content. A head of lettuce makes a great shredding toy! We feed eggs about once a week when we have them for dinner (boiled or scrambled)

I could go on but I hope you get the idea.

When Corvus arrived at 7 weeks old we hand fed the base food above for only a day or two, left it in the dish and he figured it out very quickly. The actual feeding is easy, just put a glob on the end of your finger and shove it in. Really!

Daniel from Winding Woods was an excellent resource. He suggested blowing a whistle every time you feed and this will be the beginning of your recall training. They associate the whistle with food and will start to come to the whistle for a cuddle in no time.

I would not recommend free flight unless you want to loose your bird. Native crows will attack an unknown especially this time of year when they're nesting. You could make your own tether for added height but the one from Daniel is portable and adjustable for length.

I'll get to the jesses and beaks later. Have to clean up the poop now. :lol:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
For a non dumping water bowl try Donsbirds.com Large hys and gw cannot dump his set up. \
Sorry you are not getting your corvid right away. But then again you have more time for research. You were given good information. I also found some information on pdf files, wildlife magazine.

Regarding vets. Not all will have the expertise we would like. Instead find a vet that is willing to teleconference with a vet having the experience. Some do consults and that can be quite beneficial.

Protein, as good as it is, can be very hard on the kidneys. Yes, they need protein but they also burn a lot with their flight. One would need to give a smaller amount in captivity.

Insects and meal worms pass on nutrition of what they are fed. It is good to find a good provider of these items. Those of us who have/had sugar gliders found sources or produced their own critters.

Aracaris have a bit more protein in their diets. No pinkies here but protein was offered. Greater Vasas have protein sources in their diet and I feed it at least a couple times a week. The last I read is from friend of Carols and there is movement to reclassify the Greater Vasa.

Just look for good clean sources of food. I am hesitant of baby food as most is fortified with iron being one of the main ingredients.

As you research you will get to know the people involved in that species. You will also see the food debates such as Mazuri soft bill vs Zupreem soft bill and both people involved having experience with each type. You can go crazy with all the information. Your vet can be helpful at this point. Mine saw a certain amount of aracari/ toucans/hornbill. My vet was able to share with me what age he started seeing health problems with these birds. He also went to internet vet sites and posed questions/solicited information as needed. There is also a local zoo avian caretaker who speaks around the country. He knows the different parrots/birds. He also knows the vets and he also is a breeder. A wealth of information there. Can't tell you how helpful this information was. Breeders are also a great source. Which breeders had birds a long time? Pellets are relatively new but breeders in the 60/ 70's did not have pellets. Some had gorgeous healthy long lived birds. What a great resource these breeders are regarding diets.

Hope this information has been at least a little helpful. Now, go see how much information you can find on austral conures. Conures are readily available....but! I understand you having difficulty finding things having checked on austral conures, aracari and Greater Vasa's! Hornbill would have been next but not enough room at this time.

Now, tell me how corvids bathe? Aracari, Greater Vasa's have some unique things with bathing. The two species take sun, sand, dirt and water baths. Aracari sun bathe and look dead when you first see them only to learn they are sun bathing. But, things just as bathing is not always discussed as it seems so "simple".

Last edited:

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
Corvus enjoys he sun and will stand stooped forward with his wings slightly spread as if to get as much surface coverage as he can. I take him outside for his water bath which comes from either a mist from the hose or he will splash around in his 'bath tub' which is a plant pot saucer about 24 inches across and 3 inches deep. We live in Vancouver, Canada where it rains a lot. Some days just sitting in the rain is fun.

I try to get him outside every day even in winter for an hour or two.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
So many questions.
I am sorry about that :( . If that causes you a problem, not only do I apologize, please do not feel obligated to answer the following questions.

Our vet is a gem. Vast experience with parrots (we have 4) and limited experience with corvids.
The vet(s) that I have contacted have "vast" (I would say that is a subjective term, not objective term, just my "2 cents") experience with various Psittaciformes.

She has a few starling and rehab crow patients and bird anatomy is bird anatomy.
That is very true RE: A birds anatomy is a birds anatomy and NOT something I really thought of :bag: !

She consults with other experts as needed and we make out fine.
That is fanatic for you and your Corvid!

Yeah, we started out with a water bowl but being clever these guys figure out how to dump it no matter how secure you think you have made it.
I guess that really should not surprise me :D .

All I did to 'train' was hang the bottle. He drank from it right away.
I am really really glad to hear it is that easy. Do you have a "special type of water bottle"? Or, did you just get a "large one" that was originally meant for a domestic Oryctolagus cuniculus (Rabbit)?

Have at least two for each enclosure (indoor and outdoor).
That is fantastic to know. Do you keep one water bottle per cage/aviary or do you keep multiplies? If so, how many per environment?

Alternate bottles daily and occasionally swoosh the feeding tip in a solution of bleach(few drops to a cup of water) or other disinfectant.
When you say alternate water bottles daily, do you mean between enclosure's or have four (assuming, you only use one indoors and one outdoors) water bottles and change them out daily? Also, when you say occasionally clean the tip, do you mean do that weekly, daily, monthly etc?

We had an issue with feeding too much protein. this led to a problem with the kidneys. About $1000.00 later we adjusted his diet and things are much improved.
1) I am really glad that Corvus is doing well/better!
2) So, I am guessing, too much proteins is/could be more detrimental then too little protein?

How I noticed was he started 'stargazing' a behavior where there turn their head to the sky appearing to be staring at nothing there. It's a muscle spasm and if left alone will eventually kill them.
I have heard of "stargazing" mainly with reptiles like Python regius (Ball Python) and some small exotic mammals. I have NEVER heard of it in an avian species. So, to say you taught me something would be an understatement. I can't thank you enough!

Our base food does contain dog food.
Yet again, thank you very very much for telling me that! Do you use any pellets that are specifically formulated for Softbill birds? If so, which ones do use? These are the ones I wanted to use: Mazuri ZuLife Low Iron Soft Bill Diet Per/Lb - FOOD FOR SOFTBILLS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE . What do you think of them?

Start with a quality puppy chow (not Purina) we use Royal Cannin.
Is this the Royal Cannin Puppy you use: Royal Canin MINI Canine Health Nutrition Puppy 33 - Puppy Dry Dog Food from petco.com ? Can I ask you why you choose that particular brand/formula of dry dog food?

Dump the whole bag in a large pot or bucket just for birdy.
Okay, will do.

add 2 cups unsweetened applesauce,
Will do :) .

1/2 cup chunky peanut butter,
I was told that any form of peanuts carry a risk of Aspergillosis. Is that cause I live in the USA? Or, is it just not "something" to really worry about?

small bag mixed frozen vegetables (unthawed),
Another stupid question, can I use fresh vegetables? I mean if I wanted to.

3 bananas cut up.
Okay, will do :D .

Let that all sit while you cut up and boil a pot full of sweet potatoes (2 large or about 4 cups) cut up with skins on
Will do :) !

and cook a small box of pasta (whole wheat or vegetable small shapes) about 4 cups cooked.
Just out of curiosity, if I can source organic pasta, should I use it?

Add the potatoes and noodles to the big pot or bucket and stir it all together.
Alright :D .

This will now be portioned and frozen. its enough for about 6 weeks of breakfasts.
Thank you, very very much for that information.

I feed this four days a week and fish (salmon, sardines etc. on the other days)
In the USA farm raised Salmon is very high in mercury. Is that still safe ( I would assume not) to feed my Corvid ? Or, should I use wild caught Salmon? How much (in grams) fish do you give your Corvid for "breakfast"?

In the afternoons when he goes outside I give him a frozen mouse or day old chick. He actually prefers them right from the freeer so that's easy.
I breed my own: mice, rats, and quail so that will be no problem. Do you take the down off the day old chicks?

Meal worms only once a week (10-20 of the super worms) sometimes crickets and he finds his own earth worms and beetles outside. A slice of whole wheat bread or a bun are fun as he can rip and hide pieces to his heats content.
Can I ask you, why you only do insects once a week? I am not questioning your authority or educational prowess, I promise. I am just curious.

As with the parrots we share some healthy dinner foods
I could not imagine a Corvid being "polite enough" to "share dinner with". I thought they where too "food motivated". How did you teach your specimen to have such "polite table manners".

and he gets a share or the parrots beans and rice or what have you.
What do you mean by parrot beans and rice? I am sorry.

Because of the kidney issues we also feed a lot of watermelon strawberrys and cucumbers for the water content.
Would you recommend that with a "healthy" specimen? What I mean by that is the "higher water content" food items.

A head of lettuce makes a great shredding toy!
That has to be adorable to watch and thank you for that fantastic idea for environmental enrichment.

We feed eggs about once a week when we have them for dinner (boiled or scrambled)
Okay, will do :) . I am assuming you just give him one egg? With the hard boiled eggs, do you feed them with or without the shell?

I could go on
If you want to go on, I would not mind one bit :cool: . Even if you just want to add your Corvids "dinner menu".

but I hope you get the idea.
For the most part, yes I do.

When Corvus arrived at 7 weeks old we hand fed the base food above for only a day or two, left it in the dish and he figured it out very quickly.
Wow, they are quick learners. Can I ask you why, you did not "hand feed" him longer?

The actual feeding is easy, just put a glob on the end of your finger and shove it in. Really!
I can't tell you how relieved I am to "hear" (really see) that!

Daniel from Winding Woods was an excellent resource. He suggested blowing a whistle every time you feed and this will be the beginning of your recall training.
I saw that on a Youtube and wondered if it was useful. I am glad to know that it is.

They associate the whistle with food and will start to come to the whistle for a cuddle in no time.
I am kinda hoping my specimen is just fun, destructive, and interactive. I am loving the idea of recall training. I am just not thrilled at the wanting to cuddle part. They are not overly cuddly are they? Like lets say a Cacatua alba (Umbrella Cockatoo)?

I would not recommend free flight unless you want to loose your bird. Native crows will attack an unknown especially this time of year when they're nesting.
The last thing, I want to do is loose the bird. I will just let him fly around my house :D .

You could make your own tether for added height but the one from Daniel is portable and adjustable for length.
I will start with Daniels and work from there. I did not know his was portable. I :heart: that!
I'll get to the jesses and beaks later. Have to clean up the poop now. :lol:
I can't wait to hear about the jesses and beaks. I hope the cleaning up poop went well. Thank you, very very much for everything.

Corvus enjoys he sun and will stand stooped forward with his wings slightly spread as if to get as much surface coverage as he can.
1) I am glad that you mentioned that, as I would have rushed my specimen right to the vet.
2) I am sure that he was trying to increase his surface area. I mean, look how smart they are :) !

I take him outside for his water bath which comes from either a mist from the hose or he will splash around in his 'bath tub' which is a plant pot saucer about 24 inches across and 3 inches deep.
That has to be beyond cute to watch.

We live in Vancouver, Canada where it rains a lot. Some days just sitting in the rain is fun.
Isn't that too cold for him/her? Or, are they more cold tolerant then I had thought? Or, is it more a case of that individual "grows up" in a cold climate and then they "acclimatise" to that area?

I am guessing even with snow on the ground? Thank you, yet again, for all your time :D !

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
I would say any avian vet who does the usual Spring rehab with 'fallen babies" would be a good start.

The water bottle for rabbits is the one. One per enclosure and alternate clean for used daily. I use plastic not glass. I disinfect the tips monthly but you may feel better with more often. Corvids are not as bothered by bacteria as parrots.

Apparently too much protein is a very bad thing. I am told that 25-30% is what we aim for. Stargazing by the way is common in pigeons, poultry and some smaller birds like finches. Not usually seen in Corvids except when in my hands getting too much meat.

Corvids as you may know are excellent at playing catch and Corvus at least seems to really enjoy it. In the beginning I was using cat treats and small dog treats for him to catch and also as rewards for correct responses to my commands. Those plus the extra meat contributed to the kidney troubles, stay away from those. Instead we switched to grapes, raisins, peas etc. (healthy-non processed treats). As well he catches small sticks, rocks, shells, cat toys, small soft balls, paper ball, rolled up socks - anything.

I do not feed softbill pellets only as the two breeders I contacted did not recommend them nor did my vet. They didn't recommend not to use them it just was not suggested to use them. He will steal the parrot's pellets but only to antagonize them not so much that he's interested in eating them.

I use the Royal Cannin (yes the one you found) because when we started this journey I was looking for as high protein as I could find in a small soakable kibble. While not extreme top quality it is better than some other brands. The small bag is perfect portion for 'the recipe' as well. I don't have a bag here but will let you know later the size I use. Again that's just my brand. There are others. I like the small size of the kibble. With some of the others I tried the kibble was too large and had to add water or juice to soften it. Once I used the blender to grind it. It's all an experiment and you'll find what works for you.

I use the frozen veg as they're cut up small and there's a nice variety in there. I'm all about easy. If you enjoy chopping veg into bite sized pieces go for it! I'm just lazy.

Organic pasta - why not? For a change or more variety you could also do wild/brown rice. Our Corvus tends to throw out the noodles if they're not a shape he likes. I go with the smallest I can find.

My vet recommended the fish. We use wild caught - I actually buy it ground and feed it raw. Grams? Sorry-don't know- a serving for his morning meal is about 1/4 cup of which he'll eat one or two tbsp. and cache the rest. A lot falls through the bars and is wasted.

Bone, fur and feathers are all eaten. They will actually spit castings which I knew owls did but it was exciting to have our first 'hairball'.

Mealworms only one a week because of some component - starts with a c and I read some where it builds up in their system. Other insects can be daily if you have them. He's trying to catch flies now and bees (I hope he misses every time I see that but sometimes life is the best teacher)

Don't misunderstand me on sharing dinner! Corvids are anything but polite dinner guests. This one will steal a bite off your fork before it gets to your mouth and then steal the fork as well. They are very fast! At dinner time he's in his house or outside and we share a portion of what we're having. Usually a bit of cooked veg or potato, a bite of meat, a crust of bread; just a little something so he doesn't feel left out.

We cook a mix of rice and beans for the parrots (Birdie Banquet or a mix I get at the grocery store) My CAG calls him Corvus the crow the parrot so he's entitled to his share :smuggrin:

More fruit and veg can't hurt anyone. Mr. Corvus enjoys his fruit especially. Corvids tend to poop every 10-15 minutes as it is and the only difference I've noticed is an occasional color change.

I tried to feed the egg with the shell but he was having none of that now I just chop an egg in half and he digs out what he wants. He gets the shell to play with and some day may want to eat it.

Hand feeding is for those who cannot/will not figure out how to feed themselves. If you can pick up your own food and swallow it, it's time to learn how to take food gently from a human hand. We still need to practice that one at times.

I would not say like a cockatoo, more like a dog. Corvus is very independent and can always entertain himself but when I take him out for playtime he does enjoy being stroked - mostly on the head and beak. If I stop before he's ready he will peck at my shirt sleeve or ouch at my arm to get some more.

Sorry but I'm long winded. I best finish answering your questions another day.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
I would say any avian vet who does the usual Spring rehab with 'fallen babies" would be a good start.
That is fantastic to know. Thank you, very much :cloud9:.

The water bottle for rabbits is the one.
Okay and thank you, yet again :) .

One per enclosure and alternate clean for used daily.
Thank you :cool: .

I use plastic not glass.
Alright, can I ask you why you choose the plastic over the glass?

disinfect the tips monthly but you may feel better with more often.
With my level of paranoia :cry:, yes, I would definitely do it more often.

Corvids are not as bothered by bacteria as parrots.
Yay, that is fantastic. At least, in my humble opinion.

Apparently too much protein is a very bad thing.
I am going to "air on the side of caution" or "less is more" regarding protein.

I am told that 25-30% is what we aim for.
I was told that too. I had wondered if that was accurate or not, but now I am guessing it is. So, thank you very very much for clearing that up for me.

Stargazing by the way is common in pigeons,
While, I absolutely love Pigeons, I have only had one and she (she laid an egg) only ate parakeet/finch seed. So, I never had stargazing with her.

poultry and some smaller birds like finches.

I have never kept or bred birds like that so, thank you, yet again, for imparting more knowledge onto me.
Not usually seen in Corvids except when in my hands getting too much meat.
I am relieved to know that is not common with Corvids. I will admit, sadly, if you had not taught me that too much meat (we mean chicken/pork, when you say meat correct? Like, not just red meat/beef.) would cause stargazing, then I am sure my poor specimen would have the same problem.

Corvids as you may know are excellent at playing catch and Corvus at least seems to really enjoy it.
I only know that from watching various YouTube video's.

In the beginning I was using cat treats and small dog treats for him to catch and also as rewards for correct responses to my commands. Those plus the extra meat contributed to the kidney troubles, stay away from those.
I most definitely will and thank you, very very much for that :) !

Instead we switched to grapes, raisins, peas etc. (healthy-non processed treats).
Thank you, very very much for giving me an example to work with :D !!!!!

As well he catches small sticks, rocks, shells, cat toys, small soft balls, paper ball, rolled up socks - anything.
That is just adorable. I have seen some YouTube video's that illustrate that. Some even appear to play fetch and return it to the owner/handler like a Canis lupus familiaris. Is that common? Does your hybrid raven do that? As a side note/question, what species make up your hybrid raven?

I do not feed softbill pellets only as the two breeders I contacted did not recommend them nor did my vet.
Alright....maybe I will not use them. Ugh...this is so confusing :depressed: . What do you think of these pellets as they are A) made by Winding Woods Ranch and B) have the 20-30 percent protein, which is what corvids are supposed to need, anyway, here is the website: Corvid RC-20 Pelleted Diet [CORVID] - $0.00 : Winding Woods Store Showcase, Exclusive Products for your pet Parrots and Corvids ?

They didn't recommend not to use them it just was not suggested to use them.
I am so confused :banghead:, not your fault or anything you are saying. I just mean the whole feeding a Corvid issue as a whole . What do you think if I use some of those Softbill pellets that are mentioned above and the pellets that are "specifically" made for Corvids? I am only really concerned about the pellet issue because I work and need to have something for him to "snack on" when I am at work.

He will steal the parrot's pellets but only to antagonize them not so much that he's interested in eating them.
I am sorry, but I think that is just adorable :D .

I use the Royal Cannin (yes the one you found) because when we started this journey I was looking for as high protein as I could find in a small soakable kibble.
What do you think of these: Evo- Chicken and Turkey small bites (Healthy Pet Product Search – Organic Dog Food, Dog Treats and More – Natura Pet Products Evo Herring and Salmon (Healthy Pet Product Search – Organic Dog Food, Dog Treats and More – Natura Pet Products I think those maybe too high in protein :bag: , California Natural- Chicken Meal and Brown Rice puppy (Healthy Pet Product Search – Organic Dog Food, Dog Treats and More – Natura Pet Products California Natural- Lamb meal and Rice puppy (Healthy Pet Product Search – Organic Dog Food, Dog Treats and More – Natura Pet Products I am thinking those are saver, as they have less protein. But, I really have no idea :dead: . So, please help me...again and thank you again :)! Lastly, what do you think of Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Puppy (Dry Food, High Prairie Puppy Formula - Taste of the Wild Pet Food and Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Puppy (Taste of the Wild : Products : Puppies : Dry Food : Pacific Stream Puppy Formula

While not extreme top quality it is better than some other brands.
I feel that is a fine food. Yes, it is much much better then MANY of the other brands.

The small bag is perfect portion for 'the recipe' as well.
That is fantastic to know as well.

I don't have a bag here but will let you know later the size I use.
Thank you, very very much for that information :D .

Again that's just my brand.
Let me know what you think of the brands that I mentioned above.

There are others.
Yes, way too many. At least, IMHO :( .

I like the small size of the kibble.
Could you possibly post a photo of your kibble dry and wet, so that I can compare it to the above brands. Thank you, for your time and patience.

With some of the others I tried the kibble was too large and had to add water or juice to soften it.
I see, regarding the kibble size. I am confused as to when/where/how often I should be adding water or juice to the dog kibble. Also, what types, like: Apple, Grape, Cranberry and or Prune should I use?

Once I used the blender to grind it. It's all an experiment and you'll find what works for you.
Okay and I got ya. I will work on the experimentation when the "time comes".

I use the frozen veg as they're cut up small and there's a nice variety in there. I'm all about easy. If you enjoy chopping veg into bite sized pieces go for it!
I just like the idea of "fresh" as I will only have one bird and have the time to do it.

I'm just lazy.
I doubt that you are lazy! So, please, do not say that about yourself.

Organic pasta - why not?
Not sure really... I just wanted to make sure it is "safe".

For a change or more variety you could also do wild/brown rice.
Okay, I will most definitely do that. Thank you, yet again....for the idea.

Our Corvus tends to throw out the noodles if they're not a shape he likes.
Do you think that is a Corvid trait or just a "Corvus trait"?

I go with the smallest I can find.
Do you recomend that for all Corvids? If not, would you recommend me "using different style/shape" pasta's to avoid "picky" behaviors?

My vet recommended the fish.
Alright...I will most definitely use fish too!

We use wild caught -
Okay, I will too. Thank you, yet again :)

I actually buy it ground and feed it raw.
Thank you, yet again, for that pertinent information!

Grams? Sorry-don't know- a serving for his morning meal is about 1/4 cup
I am sorry :( . I just thought the Grams would be easier for you. 1/4 of a cup is a fantastic explanation!

of which he'll eat one or two tbsp. and cache the rest. A lot falls through the bars and is wasted.
Thank you for all that information :D . As usual, it was quite helpful to me :) !

Bone, fur and feathers are all eaten.
I kinda thought that, as I have owned early generation (F1-F3) exotic cat hybrids (Bengal, Chausie, and Savannah). But, I just wanted to ask.

They will actually spit castings which I knew owls did but it was exciting to have our first 'hairball'.
I did know owls spit up castings. But, I did NOT know, Corvids did that. I am sure, if my specimen did that, I would have been scared :bag: and rushed him off to the veterinarian :dead: .

Mealworms only one a week because of some component - starts with a c and I read some where it builds up in their system.
I believe that is Chitin, which is what there exoskeleton is made of.

Other insects can be daily if you have them.
I was thinking of these, as they are easily attainable: Acheta domesticus (Domestic/House Cricket), Galleria Mellonella (Wax Worm), and Bombyx mori (Silk Worm)? What do you think of these?

He's trying to catch flies now and bees (I hope he misses every time I see that but sometimes life is the best teacher)
Yes, life is the best teacher. It has to be cute to watch Corvus miss.

Don't misunderstand me on sharing dinner! Corvids are anything but polite dinner guests.
Ahh....okay... my first inclination was correct.

This one will steal a bite off your fork before it gets to your mouth and then steal the fork as well. They are very fast!
That was just my F1 and F3 Savannah cats and F2 Chausie cat.

At dinner time he's in his house or outside and we share a portion of what we're having.
With the exotic cat hybrids, mentioned above, I did the same thing. I guess, they where just "practice" for the Corvid :hehe: :rofl: !

Usually a bit of cooked veg or potato, a bite of meat, a crust of bread; just a little something so he doesn't feel left out.
I got ya now :D !

We cook a mix of rice and beans for the parrots (Birdie Banquet or a mix I get at the grocery store)
I got you now. I hope you do not mind more questions. The first is which Birdie Banquet do you get and second, what is in the mix you buy from the grocery store?

My CAG calls him Corvus the crow the parrot so he's entitled to his share :smuggrin:
That leads me to more questions: 1) which do you enjoy more, meaning the Corvid or the CAG? 2) Which do you think is more intelligent (Corvid or the CAG)? Lastly, how do the Corvid and the CAG "get along"?

More fruit and veg can't hurt anyone.
Okay, that is great to know :D .

Mr. Corvus enjoys his fruit especially.
Would you mind telling me what fruits you use (that you consider to be safe) and how often?

Corvids tend to poop every 10-15 minutes as it is and the only difference I've noticed is an occasional color change.
Both facts, are great to know. Thank you!

I tried to feed the egg with the shell but he was having none of that now I just chop an egg in half and he digs out what he wants. He gets the shell to play with and some day may want to eat it.
Yet again, thank you very very much. Did your Corvid, used to eat the egg shells? If so, do you have any idea why he stopped?

Hand feeding is for those who cannot/will not figure out how to feed themselves.
That is very very true. What I was trying to say, in a less then eloquent manner, was why did you only "hand feed" your Corvid for a few days, before starting to "wean him"?

If you can pick up your own food and swallow it, it's time to learn how to take food gently from a human hand. We still need to practice that one at times.
I would think, with such food motivated animals, that is just how it is. Apparently, I am very wrong, what a surprise...NOT!

I would not say like a cockatoo, more like a dog.
I got ya now. That sounds very good, IMHO.

Corvus is very independent and can always entertain himself
That is GREAT!!! Now, is that something you had to train Corvus like you would your CAG? Or, did that come "naturally" to Corvus? If you had to teach Corvus that, how did you "teach" him that?

but when I take him out for playtime he does enjoy being stroked - mostly on the head and beak.
Aww that sounds cute and adorable.

If I stop before he's ready he will peck at my shirt sleeve or ouch at my arm to get some more.
Now, that sounds even cuter.

Sorry but I'm long winded.
Please do not worry, I am always long winded. So, please please do not worry!

I best finish answering your questions another day.
Whatever is easier for you. Thank you thank you and THANK YOU for your time!

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
Earlier you said your specimen would just fly around the house in lieu of free flight. Flying around the house is fun but outdoor experience is important too.
We use the jesses and leash for some outings and I've also purchased a bird back pack that we use for other outings. I was told that in order to keep these guys tame socialization is very important. When Corvus first arrived we would tie on the leash and just walk around the block with him on the arm. We of course gathered a crowd at every turn but this enabled him to meet a lot of new people who were for the most part happy to see him. We allowed strangers to pet him and soon learned to make sure no one was wearing nail polish or a lot of jewelry as he would peck at these. The local native crows are accepting of us now but it took a bit of bribery with peanuts and kibble to get them there.
Outside our immediate neighborhood we use the back pack. Corvus comes along when we walk our two dogs and this allows him to experience the sights and sounds of the city in a safe environment and I have my hands free to work with the dogs.
We go in to stores and other places that may or may not be pet friendly but no one seems to notice the bird in the big pack. :cool: Corvus even gets to ride the bus.
I noticed over his first winter that he was a little less accepting of strangers petting him as he was not getting out as often so made a point this year of taking him to malls and pets shops to keep the stranger friendly guy I love. Corvids will become one person birds if you let them but I don't want that and find I need to keep introducing him to new people and places to stay in practice.
If you can find an open area without too many native crows you may be able to fly your bird using either the leash or a harness (the kind used for parrots, still trying to train some of my parrots to wear one but Corvus let me put it on him the first try and does not fight it at all) He does not fly often and I bet that's because we have not practiced much. Problem is he keeps doing nose dives as he can't seem to figure out that there is a limit to the leash and he's only meant to fly in circles not straight up.
I need to study a bit more on that and it's so hard to find a spot not overly populated by crows or people.

Corvus is by the way 3/4 White Necked Raven and 1/4 African Pied Crow. There is no classification for hybrids so we dubbed him Corvus Domesticus(house crow) Corbeau (French for crow). Mostly I call him a crow as I had my heart set on a female African Pied Crow. Brian kept me waiting for two years and on the third season I settled for this magnificent chap. He has the pied coloring which is what I was after and I love him to bits.

Compared to the parrots I think I prefer the crow. He's relatively quiet (you will absolutely love the voice) rarely bites outside of play bites, actually listens when I tell him to be gentle midbite, is less easily startled or concerned with newness. As I said he's very independent and can entertain himself. I buy a lot of little stuffed animals and baby toys at the local thrift store and supply various containers so he is always busy. He loves pulling the stuffing out of the stuffed animals then uses the fluff to hide his leftovers.

As for food when you're at work I think that's what caching is all about. Save a bit for later. I work too. I usually leave him with a mini cucumber or a hunk of watermelon etc., he's already had breakfast and will play and sleep til you return home and feed him again. You can surly try the pellets. I bought a bag of Daniel's training treats but they were not well accepted. Corvus tends to prefer softer foods and the pellets are hard and crunchy. As with everything, your bird will be an individual with his own likes and dislikes so you will try different things and find what works for the two of you.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
Earlier you said your specimen would just fly around the house in lieu of free flight. Flying around the house is fun but outdoor experience is important too.
I am very very sorry for not being clearer :( . I meant the "free flight portion" was going to be in my home for my Corvids safety. I had every intention of letting him outside under "general physical control".

We use the jesses and leash for some outings
I have purchased those from Winding Woods Ranch. Are those the type you have?

and I've also purchased a bird back pack that we use for other outings.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is that? Can you possibly post a photo or a link to that that is?

I was told that in order to keep these guys tame socialization is very important.
Brain, the owner of The Corvid Ranch was VERY clear with me about that part. I am sorry, I was not :bag: !

When Corvus first arrived we would tie on the leash and just walk around the block with him on the arm.
That is so so cool, IMHO. He did not try to fly away or "escape"?

We of course gathered a crowd at every turn but this enabled him to meet a lot of new people who were for the most part happy to see him.
The owner of The Corvid Ranch, said that taking your Raven outside in public will be "all the help" you need with socialization. I see that is true, so thank you for confirming that for me :) !

We allowed strangers to pet him and soon learned to make sure no one was wearing nail polish or a lot of jewelry as he would peck at these.
Yet again, you taught me something. I would have assumed that he would have pecked at excessive jewelry. However, I would not have been concerned about nail polish. So, thank you.

The local native crows are accepting of us now but it took a bit of bribery with peanuts and kibble to get them there.
1) I would have no problem bribing the native Corvids.
2) Approximately, how long did it take the native Corvids to "get used to" your "pet"?
3) Are/where you concerned about your specimen getting a disease from the native Corvids?

Outside our immediate neighborhood we use the back pack.
I am sure that I am not imagining the back pack right, but how in the world did you get your Corvid used to it?

Corvus comes along when we walk our two dogs and this allows him to experience the sights and sounds of the city in a safe environment and I have my hands free to work with the dogs.
Is/Was your hybrid Raven scared of the city environment? If so, how long did it take him to "get used" to the city environment? Also, do you let your specimen interact with the dogs? If so, how do they "get along"?

We go in to stores and other places that may or may not be pet friendly but no one seems to notice the bird in the big pack. :cool:
I find that amazing, as I am sure he is not kept in like a "duffel bag".

Corvus even gets to ride the bus.
That is so so so cute :) . Does he make any "noises"?

I noticed over his first winter that he was a little less accepting of strangers petting him as he was not getting out as often so made a point this year of taking him to malls and pets shops to keep the stranger friendly guy I love.
Thank you for telling me that :) :D ! I had to do the same protocol with my F2 Chausie and my F3 Savannah. While, not birds of course, it seems the same "principals" apply.

Corvids will become one person birds if you let them but I don't want that and find I need to keep introducing him to new people and places to stay in practice.
I most definitely do not want a "one person" bird. I am sorry for not making that clear earlier :dead: . So, I guess like with the early generation exotic cat hybrids mentioned above, it is important to "continue socialization" for the animals "life time". Or, beyond what is called the "critical period".

If you can find an open area without too many native crows you may be able to fly your bird using either the leash or a harness (the kind used for parrots, still trying to train some of my parrots to wear one but Corvus let me put it on him the first try and does not fight it at all)
I will start to try and pay more attention to where I see native Corvids, but I suspect I will be able to find an area to fly my specimen with a leash and harness. That is part of the reason I wanted a Corvid, despite having kept and bred parrots for ten to fifteen years. What I mean by that is: "they are much more accepting.

He does not fly often and I bet that's because we have not practiced much.
I suspect you are correct. But, as long as it does not negatively impact his "mental" or physical well being, I would not worry. Trust me, I worry about everything!

Problem is he keeps doing nose dives as he can't seem to figure out that there is a limit to the leash and he's only meant to fly in circles not straight up.
What follows: is nothing but my educated guess/hypothesis, but your hybrid raven has learned that "nose dives" are no fun, so "do not fly". Have your tried to ask Brain or The Winding Woods ranch dude, how to get your bird to "fly in circles"?

I need to study a bit more on that and it's so hard to find a spot not overly populated by crows or people.
I hope you can find the "spot you need" :hug8: !

Corvus is by the way 3/4 White Necked Raven and 1/4 African Pied Crow.
Does he look more like a Corvus albicollis (White Necked Raven) or a Corvus albus (African Pied Crow)? By that I mean, physical size and beak size/shape? I just :heart: the Corvus albicollis beak. Does your hybrid have a Raven's beard? Lastly, do you want me to post a photo of the hybrid Raven, that Brian offered me this year?

There is no classification for hybrids so we dubbed him Corvus Domesticus(house crow) Corbeau (French for crow).
I just :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: your "scientific" classification!

Mostly I call him a crow as I had my heart set on a female African Pied Crow.
I have to ask, why did you want a Corvus albus? The guy at the Winding Woods Ranch kept saying that is what I should get. But, he was really not clear why, IMHO. He just made it sound like due to there smaller size, they where more "manageable". I explained that I worked with/bred parrots for ten to fifteen years, had exotic cat hybrids and I was quite sure, that I could handle anything a Raven "threw at me". He did not seem to "believe me". Then, he went on to say that I wanted a female, not a male. With a pet specimen, I do NOT want to worry about egg binding. So, I wanted a male. Yet again, he really did not want to listen. So, I very very late in the year went with The Corvid Ranch. So far, to date, Brain is much nicer to deal with. While, he questioned me, he said that I could definitely handle a Raven and the only real difference is physical size. Lastly, why did you want a hen/female over a cock/male?

Brian kept me waiting for two years and on the third season I settled for this magnificent chap. He has the pied coloring which is what I was after and I love him to bits.
So, does your specimen look like a "giant" Corvus albus? Or, a regular sized Corvus albus? Or, more like a hybrid physically? Being approximately 3/4 and or 75% Corvus albicollis, I would bet your Corvid would look more like a pure Corvus albicollis. I would love to see a photo of your Corvus. I can show you, a photo, of the hybrid Raven, Brain offered me this year.

Compared to the parrots I think I prefer the crow.
I was really hoping you would say that. Only cause, then I would "feel like" I made the right decision.

He's relatively quiet (you will absolutely love the voice) rarely bites outside of play bites, actually listens when I tell him to be gentle midbite, is less easily startled or concerned with newness.
I :heart: everything on that list. But, what I think that I will :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: the most is Corvids are not started as easily and or are not as concerned with newness. Can a Corvid bite, like lets say to a hand, actually hurt you? Like when compared to a parrot? I can not wait to hear my specimen talk. What is your hybrid Ravens "natural calls" like?

As I said he's very independent and can entertain himself.
I consider that to be a "life saver". That is also another plus, IMHO, for Corvids.

I buy a lot of little stuffed animals and baby toys at the local thrift store and supply various containers so he is always busy.
You are not concerned your specimen will not have pica issues with stuffed animals? You know, like not eating parts of it? What type of baby toys do you get? What type of containers do you get? I just spent $50 on plastic foraging toys, that are meant for Psittaciformes. Do you recommend those?

He loves pulling the stuffing out of the stuffed animals then uses the fluff to hide his leftovers.
1) I am guessing your specimen does not eat the stuffing "plain" (I.E. pica)?
2) How does your hybrid raven, manage to eat the cached food items after they are covered in stuffing?

As for food when you're at work I think that's what caching is all about.Save a bit for later.
I got ya. Thank you, yet again for teaching me something.

I work too.
I am asking this question, not to be nosy, though I am sure that is how it could be viewed, but are you away for eight hours a day? I am just worried about my specimen dying from "lack of food" when I am at work. Yes, I mean when he is weaned :bag: .

I usually leave him with a mini cucumber or a hunk of watermelon etc., he's already had breakfast and will play and sleep til you return home and feed him again.
I got ya. I will use the same food items as you do. Thank you, again, so so so much!

You can surly try the pellets.I bought a bag of Daniel's training treats but they were not well accepted.
Hopefully, introducing both the Corvid 20 pellets and Softbill pellets to my specimen when young will go well. But, if it does not "go well", I will not panic...I hope. Thank you, very very much!

Corvus tends to prefer softer foods and the pellets are hard and crunchy. As with everything, your bird will be an individual with his own likes and dislikes so you will try different things and find what works for the two of you.
That is very very true and thank you, very very very much :hug8: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
So, on to chapter 17!

Anklets and jesses. If you got the ones Daniel makes they're very good. The heavy suede wears well and the grommets are secure. Easy to trace and make a pattern. Leather can be purchased from Tandy Leather shops and often fabric shops will have small remnants. Black is the recommended color as it is less bothersome to the bird. I get about 6 months out of a pair before having to replace them. They get stiff from all that bathing. Remember I leave them on 24/7 and like I said, Corvus thinks they're part of him. He grooms his jesses when he grooms himself. He makes sure to give each side a pull or two as he's doing his tail.

The shock cord jesses are great as they do not wrap around perches etc. so very little danger of the bird getting caught up anywhere if he gets loose. Just tie a knot on the inside once they're threaded through and the bird will not be able to pull them out.

The back pack I use is the pak-o-bird (please google it) Very expensive but as we use it almost daily worth it to me. We use the medium as it was the largest my bird store carries. The perch is a little too far forward for him but it works none the less. Getting him in is easy, open the hatch and say get in there. He hops in on his own and turns round as I zip it shut so he can 'look out the window'. We have had no issues with sights and sounds of the city he just takes it all in an seems to take everything in stride. As long as I'm calm he's calm.

If it's a longer bus ride and I have a seat I will hold the pack on my lap and keep a hand inside to keep him occupied so he doesn't vocalize too much. He will not vocalize if the pack is on the floor by my feet.

The dogs and Corvus have an understanding. They are a Chihuahua and a Chinese Crested, he is a Crow almost their size. He likes hopping after them and nipping at their butts. They like sitting near him when he eats. The dogs have a healthy respect for beaks of all sizes.

Taking Corvus out on the arm with a leash or harness is usually uneventful. He will occasionally bate (fly off) but for the most part he is content to sit and just watch the world go by. If he does bate I just let him dangle upside down til he's ready to right himself. Sounds and likely looks cruel but that's what you do. He will dangle a few seconds then he gives a flap and is right side up on the arm and ready to carry on. If he bates in the house or in the yard I will some times get my free hand under him and cradle him like a baby. This is something I've seen others do and it makes me chuckle. We're working on training this so I can give a command and have him laying on his back in my hand like my Hawk Head does. He is actually laying down to play with toys now so is comfortable with the position.

His natural voice is a deep gravely ah-ah. He now say hello, hey there, good bird, he laughs, barks and makes kissy noises, think he also says a'hole but its not clear and I think if that's what he's saying we'll keep it as it's darn cute! He mostly talks when he's outside so I assume that's where he's most comfortable.

I wanted the pied crow as I've always loved corvids. Have 'rescued' and released many a baby and sickly, broken winged individuals but always released them or they perished. When I found out I could legally obtain and keep a pied crow, I needed one. Around here dogs and cats are boys and birds are females so it was to be a girl. We ended up with Corvus.

He a big beautiful boy and I couldn't be happier. He's about 21 inches beak to tail, weighs just over 900 grams and has a monster huge thick raven beak. Unlike his white neck relatives his white feathering surrounds the entire neck, unlike the pied crows it does not extend down the chest. Just a perfect circle of white.

The beak is big. He will snap with the beak as a test but its a bluff usually reserved for those who hesitate when going to pet him. He will take an offered finger in his beak and if he's in a mood will exert pressure much like a pair of pliers. If he's feeling sweet he will hold the finger gently and accept kisses while tasting the finger with his tongue. If he wants to hurt (this has only happened to me twice) he will use the very tip of that beak and grab the skin and give it a twist while pulling back. It sends a pretty clear message.

I've had the computer for less time than the crow. Have plenty of pictures in the camera but need help to get them in the computer and then to find out how to post them. That will have to be another day.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:needpics: :hehe:
Sorry if you've posted this before, but what kind of cage do you have Corvus in? And what did you feed the baby crows you raised? I have a baby (wild) that I'm feeding because the parents aren't coming down to do it themselves. I'm giving it Evo brand wet cat food mixed with water and sometimes boiled egg yolk. I don't intend to keep this baby I'm just curious on how you cage yours. Don't mean to high jack this thread either.... Sorry :unsure1:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Corvus enjoys he sun and will stand stooped forward with his wings slightly spread as if to get as much surface coverage as he can. I take him outside for his water bath which comes from either a mist from the hose or he will splash around in his 'bath tub' which is a plant pot saucer about 24 inches across and 3 inches deep. We live in Vancouver, Canada where it rains a lot. Some days just sitting in the rain is fun.

:eek: Did you import your Corvid from the states?!! How did you manage the quarantine? I live in greater Vancouver area as well (same vet too :) ) and had no idea we even had the option to have a pet raven/crow. Wow!!! I would absolutely love to see some pictures and hear more about your bird- perhaps on a different thread so as to not hijack this thread. :) thanks so much!

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
No highjack. Everyone's welcome. I've been following yours quietly. For crow babies I did the same as you but with dog food watered down at first then thickened with some pabulum til they're ready for a bit of soaked dog food (kibble). Higher protein in the kibble.

Corvus is housed in a Maccaw cage while I'm at work 4x3x6 and he has a small aviary outside, he usually hangs out on his tether line on the lawn unless I'm back and forth or I find it to cold to sit out with him.

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
Hi GlassOnion.

Yes,he was imported two years ago. No quarantine. Corvids are considered songbirds and it was easier than I thought.

I had to pay a vet at the airport $120 to look in the carrier and say "He looks fine." Then a trip to customs to show documents and that was it.