• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Update #23) Does anyone here have experience with Corvids? I will be getting a Corvus albicollis.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Fascinating thread!

Sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it, but do corvids hunt much? Is it safe to have them around parrots? (I know there's always a chance of a larger bird injuring a smaller one, but I'm talking about a raven or crow attacking a parrot with the intention of eating it).

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Corvids eat smaller birds and their nestlings in the wild, so its always possible for them to want to go at small parrots.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, with small birds I certainly wouldn't chance it, but what about medium/large parrots? The literature I've found says that corvids mostly scavenge and eat small prey like rodents. As far as I know they are not like hawks, who will attack birds closer to their own size. But I'm not a corvid expert by any means and I'm quite curious!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Neither am I. So I have no idea if they attack to eat, other birds their size. But crows will hunt and kill just fledged robins. This past summer, I had to protect the fledgling robins from crows. And from stellar jays!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We rescued Beeper, a tiny female house finch from a crow on our roof when he landed to eat the two babies he'd captured. He killed her sibling before we could get him to drop them and fly away.
She healed up, bonded, and got another happy year and a half with us.
Î never saw them trying to get any large birds other them messing with them to chase them away from their nests and areas but they are scavengers and very smart so who knows.

Cornix

Checking out the neighborhood
Scarlett is vegan and feeds Nevermore a vegan diet. His poop doesn't stink but I can't relate to meat-fed corvids.
Hey Bailey, if you're still active on here, could you help me get in touch with Scarlett?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Hey Bailey, if you're still active on here, could you help me get in touch with Scarlett?
Unfortunately, Bailey has not posted in the last five years.