• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How's Mikey doing today? Have any more tests come back? Did they do an xray?

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Checking in also..hope to hear a good update on Mikey. :hug8:

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Just checking in and sending Mikey more prayers and thoughts of healing.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Just finished reading this whole thread - so glad you got a second opinion! I'm angry at your first vet. Hope Mikey is feeling a bit better now. If he won't eat Milk Thistle seeds, you can get an alchohol free tincture - I used to put a drop or two in my budgie's water daily, together with a drop of lactulose - he had liver problems. Big hugs for you and Mikey. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and support.. :hug8: Mikey is hanging in there... On xmas day he stopped eating for me entirely, I freaked out. I ran to my cabinet and got the pretzel bag and started shaking it going oh and ah and he lit up so i gave him pretzels.. I know thats not healthy but he was going to die and I had to take drastic measures. He normally eats at least his oatmeal but he stopped so I added some cinnamin to it (Thanks BF for that Tip!) and at first he was stubborn but finally xmas nite he finally ate some.. We are going back to see Dr. James McKinley of Amwell Bird Hospital on Wednesday (12/29) oh and YAY look what I found he was nominated and is birdchannel Top 10 birdie vets in the US BIRD TALK's Top Bird Vets :dance4:.. Last week, Dr McKinely gave me the option of mailing me medicines to give him orally or bringing him in to get a shot of Doxycline which will last for a week because it is a far drive for me. But it stresses both me and Mikey with me giving meds so its easier for both of us if the doctor gives him a shot plus this way he gets to see how he's doing.. The vet did mention Xrays but he feels the bloodwork/cultures should point us hopefully in a concrete direction.. Poor Mikey is already limping from the puncture of the needle of the bloodwork last week so we don't want to stress him out anymore then necessary..

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor Mikey...I know that blood work can be so stressful and painful....I hope you get some answers...Mikey is always in my prayers.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor Mikey....many thoughts and prayers still coming his way

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I took Mikey back to the Amwell Bird Hospital yesterday 12/30... All test results have come back which in itself is a miracle as I was not expecting them so soon with the holidays. The prognosis for little Mikey is not good. :sad7: The doctor feels that Mikey has something wrong with his internal organs. He said for a sick bird his poop is nearly perfect and he is so perky. He said typically speaking if he was sick and dying because of a infection of some sort that that wouldn't be the case and that he would have runny poops and would be fluffed up and quiet. I asked him if there was any other tests or anything that I can do to help Mikey and he said NO. Mikey does have enterococcus, his blood sugar is high and he is anemic. So in the longshot that it is this infection that is killing him, he did prescribe Clavamox in which I have to give him orally 2 times a day. I will give the antibiotics hoping for a miracle. I do believe in miracles. This board certified avian vet I do wholeheartedly trust his judgement and he is a kind soul unlike the other vets I have delt with :whip:. Every day that I have Mikey with me, I now consider it a gift. :heart: If anyone would like to PM me, feel free to do so. Moderators-I would like to close this thread please. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
My dear, I am so sorry. I do wish they had done an xray though to see if there was something lodged somewhere. I will be asking God for a tiny miracle and saying many, many prayers that little Mikey responds to the Clavamox.

You have done a great job taking care of him. He knows that even with how stressful it's been, he is dearly loved by you.

Ginger

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
I am so sorry, but I am also a believer in miracles, so I believe that Mikey will live a comfortable long life in your able care......:hug8:

cher

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Keeping Mikey in my thoughts and prayers.

Closing this thread as per Tiffany's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.