• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
re: <Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

:hug8::hug8::hug8:
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'll continue to pray for Mikey and you.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
re: <Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Sending lots more positive energy to Mikey and HUGS to you!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

OK let's go POSITIVE here...You have found a vet that is telling you what could be wrong with him...given Mikey meds/nasla flush/crop fed and suggested you change diet...All positive...
Yes he may be an old Tiel BUT things have a way of working themselves out with care...this is what you are doing...I know you love him very much and will do everything you can to help him...Can you find some fresh Dandelion greens anywhere? These will help Mikey if he is having problems with his liver....My birds all love Dandelion greens to eat...Mikey just might also...
Please keep us updated and just keeping thinking POSITIVE!:hug8: one day at a time...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Many hugs and prayers for you and Mikey. Milk Thistle seeds are also very good to promote good liver health. :hug5:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers for Mikey to get better. Here is where I get my milk thistle seed, I put a big pinch in their food daily.

Ginger

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
OK let's go POSITIVE here...You have found a vet that is telling you what could be wrong with him...given Mikey meds/nasla flush/crop fed and suggested you change diet...All positive...
Yes he may be an old Tiel BUT things have a way of working themselves out with care...this is what you are doing...I know you love him very much and will do everything you can to help him...Can you find some fresh Dandelion greens anywhere? These will help Mikey if he is having problems with his liver....My birds all love Dandelion greens to eat...Mikey just might also...
Please keep us updated and just keeping thinking POSITIVE!:hug8: one day at a time...
Thanks everyone for your prayers, advice and support!! :hug8:

BF- I saw your post and picked up some Dandelion Greens just now.. :D Do I give them to Mikey raw or do I cook them?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Thanks everyone for your prayers, advice and support!! :hug8:

BF- I saw your post and picked up some Dandelion Greens just now.. :D Do I give them to Mikey raw or do I cook them?
FRESH!!!!!!!
Always give your birds FRESH / LIVE foods when possible...you don't loose any vitamins that way...there are exception of course (sweet potato is one)...
keep a few leaves in cage or where ever he is ( do you still have him being kept WARM?? 85º at least) and put the rest after washing in a plastic bag in the refrg....given him new ones every day...you can also add the Thistle seeds to his wet foods for him to eat...:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh I am so sorry, but you have to stay positive. Even if he is old he can get through this. I had a scare with Baby recently and he is doing so much better...hang in there! If you need to talk, I am here. I have been through many illnesses with my birds...I know how much it hurts....I am sending tons of prayers for Mikey and for you!:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Sending Healing thoughts and Prayers for Mikey and Many:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:For You.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
FRESH!!!!!!!
Always give your birds FRESH / LIVE foods when possible...you don't loose any vitamins that way...there are exception of course (sweet potato is one)...
keep a few leaves in cage or where ever he is ( do you still have him being kept WARM?? 85º at least) and put the rest after washing in a plastic bag in the refrg....given him new ones every day...you can also add the Thistle seeds to his wet foods for him to eat...:hug8:
Thanks BF!!! I put some Dandelion Greens in his cage before I left for work so hopefully he eats them.. I have alot to learn about fresh vegetables as the vet yesterday also told me how important they are to a birds health... Mikey did not touch his oatmeal or carrots this morning but he was chowing down on a whole wheat waffle.. :) I am now on the hunt for Thistle seeds.. As far as heat he is back in his big boy cage as he was extremely depressed in that hopsital cage.. He has a flat perch in his cage with a sherpa fur covering it.. I put underneath his sherpa cover some HotHands HotHands Direct - Hand Warmer, Foot Warmer, Toe Warmer, Cold Pack and I do not have to worry about him eating it since he is not a chewer and he loves to sit on them. I also have his cage partially covered and I borrowed my parents portable heater to put near his cage until my Avi-Tech panels to come in next week. Wow talk about a crash course! :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: I don't think I would be able to do this without you guys! Many hugs and thank you to all.. :heart: :heart: :D

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Here are so sites you might want to read about FRESH /LIVE Greens/etc:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Benefits Of A Base Diet - Foods for a Healthy Bird
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Feeding Our Birds - A Healthy Diet
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Calcium, Phosphorus & Vitamin D3 in Diets for Parrots and Birds
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician XIII - Greening Of The Parrot Diet
Foodinfo

If you need any more info and ask ?...
Just post...it's a matter of getting a bird to REALIZE what each food is and that it is FOOD!...that is where you come in... Play with the food in front of them...make high pitch EXCITED noise and watch their body language...see how interested they are in what you are doing...eat it!!!!!! but don't let them "have any"...they will "steal" it from you to try it....sit outside their cage and do this...(make yourself a salad with the size of veggie/greens you will be serving them..) eat it in front of them everyday...it is good for you too!
I don't feed my birds anything that I won't eat myself!:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Tiffany did you see the link I gave you for Milk Thistle seeds? I buy my from Mountain Rose.

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:hug8::hug8::hug8:Many hugs to you sweetie. I know how worried and stressed you have been about your little Mikey. You have been doing a great job with him and he is lucky to have you as a parront. Prayers coming that he stays strong until this new vet can find a fix for him. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Tiffany did you see the link I gave you for Milk Thistle seeds? I buy my from Mountain Rose.

Ginger
Thanks Ginger! Somehow your link didn't appear.. :( I am on the Mountain Rose website which milk thistle seeds should I buy? :o: There are sooo many to choose from..

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I buy the whole seeds. I think I get the 12 oz bag. It lasts awhile.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can also try an Aloe Vera detox. You get the ingestible stuff from Whole Foods. The brand name is Lily of the Desert and says it's a detox right on the bottle, and you can put a few drops in his water.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You can also try an Aloe Vera detox. You get the ingestible stuff from Whole Foods. The brand name is Lily of the Desert and says it's a detox right on the bottle, and you can put a few drops in his water.

Ginger
Good Stuff!!!!!!:dance4::hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Praying Mikey gets better.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.