• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
re: <Update 12/4> Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

You are doing fine and I'm glad the vet gave him a good work up and some antibiotics. Does Mikey have a favorite liquid? I give all my meds in almond milk. Trinket and Truely drink it right from the spoon. Some birds like OJ and I think ML used a pina colada mix with Hank and Jasper.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

Poor Mikey. I hope he will be feeling better real soon with the meds and your TLC.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

HUGS for you and Mikey

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika

These emergency threads are always so heart wrenching. Great job getting a second opinion. It's difficult for some to "suck it up" and get that second opinion, I mean the first vet is an expert and should know, right??
Anyway, so glad to hear that Mikey is getting the treatment he needs and deserves. :hug8: :hug8: to you both, hoping Mikey will make a very speedy recovery. Tis the season for colds, even for birds I guess...

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

I am so glad you went to another place for help. I was terrified reading this thread---- Birds hide illness so by the time there is a symptom it's generally serious. I let a vet send my beloved tiel home with a general antibiotic --- I had heard a wheeze on Sunday, was told it could wait till Tuseday when the vet was in. She barely heard the sound I insisted was there although Fritzie did seem alert and lively. Wednesday My baby died in my arms . I will never quite forgive myself for not going to a second avian vet immediately. I still miss her so much.

I will pray that Mikey continues to improve. And once again, I'm proud of you.
Thank you Pat that means the world to me.. I am soo sorry for your loss... :hug8:

You are doing fine and I'm glad the vet gave him a good work up and some antibiotics. Does Mikey have a favorite liquid? I give all my meds in almond milk. Trinket and Truely drink it right from the spoon. Some birds like OJ and I think ML used a pina colada mix with Hank and Jasper.

Ginger
I never gave Mikey liquids before other then water... Mikey is sound asleep now but I do have some OJ here, I'll have to try that in the morning... If that doesn't work then I'll go and pickup some Almond Milk tommorow... Thanks soo much for the suggestions, I really want to be able to do it myself.. :o:sad1:

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

I am so sorry I missed this thread somehow. How very scary for both you and Mikey. I am so glad you were able to get a second opinion.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')

I am so glad that this vet seems to be competent!
Sending more Healing Thoughts and hope Mikey will be on the way to recovery very soon! :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Back from the vets... Please bear with me because I am learning as I go and I feel very stupid.. :imstupid: The minute he saw Mikey he believes that he has some sorta a infection... He said his nares were irritated and extremely swollen... He did another flush out and also performed a swab test of his mucus in his nares, mouth, vent and in his stool.. He thinks he may have Chlamydia or a infection of some sort. :( He gave me Baytril to give to him... Twice a day for 7 days and if I am not able to do it, he will have to be admitted into the hospital.. :eek: So he gave him a shot of Metacam and Baytril tonite but tommorow I have to administer the meds myself. He said depending on what the tests results come out too the medicine may change.. :sad11:

My poor poor little Mikey, I just love him so much..:heart: He's really been a trooper and we are learning together. I will keep you all posted on the results and his progress.. I am so grateful that I listened to all the knowledgeable folks on here.. :hug8:
I am relieved to read that they are treating him now and you feel the vet is competent.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

Hi Anne... Thank you for the prayers.. :hug8: The vet did prescribe him some medication called Metacam.. And he already told me it wasn't necessary to bring him over despite the gasping:( .. I just put the shower on again for 15 minutes for steam.. He doesn't seem to be gasping like before... I just made him some more oatmeal and he gobbled that up.. And I also just made a homemade heating pad by putting hot bottled water with a little towel around it.. He's sitting right next to it..
If I might make a suggestion: Could you post the doses of each med your bird is prescribed, Metacam, Baytril, etc. etc. … ? I also suggest we all take down these doses and keep in our medical files so we can double check each other's doses when any of us take our birds to the vet. Vets are not infallible and do make mistakes, sometimes resulting in the death of a bird and many of them will not admit they even did anything wrong. Trust me, I know what I am talking about when it comes to Avian Vets as a group. Not talking about the great ones out there.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

That is an excellent idea and suggestion.

Ginger

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

If I might make a suggestion: Could you post the doses of each med your bird is prescribed, Metacam, Baytril, etc. etc. … ? I also suggest we all take down these doses and keep in our medical files so we can double check each other's doses when any of us take our birds to the vet. Vets are not infallible and do make mistakes, sometimes resulting in the death of a bird and many of them will not admit they even did anything wrong. Trust me, I know what I am talking about when it comes to Avian Vets as a group. Not talking about the great ones out there.
I do not know the correct dosage off the top of my head as I am at work and brain dead. :rolleyes: Will post that information when I get home. I think this is a great idea... :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

the dosage is usually worked out to the weight of the bird and the size of the infection plus what they think it is surely? They must differ a lot from bird to bird? Weight, what bird/history and what is wrong?

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

the dosage is usually worked out to the weight of the bird and the size of the infection plus what they think it is surely? They must differ a lot from bird to bird? Weight, what bird/history and what is wrong?
You are correct. We would be mainly double, triple checking the doses a vet gives a member here, based on weight and species, etc. … the patient's owner/keeper would be also supplying the additional info.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

Like they say one birds medicine could be another ones poison?? Realise we have a lot of different Vet's around the globe but they must be the ones with the training and know what it is they are prescribing for whatever, it is the safest way surely.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

Like they say one birds medicine could be another ones poison?? Realise we have a lot of different Vet's around the globe but they must be the ones with the training and know what it is they are prescribing for whatever, it is the safest way surely.
Like I said, we would be checking the doses to make sure they are prescribed correctly and making sure the decimal point is in the right place etc., according to the same medical books the vets themselves use. No one is suggesting that any member here use those doses to treat their own birds of different species, weights, or etc. - besides these meds require prescriptions from a vet, can't be bought over the counter.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Squeeky is on Baytril and the moment and he takes 4 drops 2X day.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

Squeeky is on Baytril and the moment and he takes 4 drops 2X day.
Hi Miriam,

What strength Baytril is that? What is it mixed with? How big are the drops, as drop size varies depending on the tool the drop is coming out of. Usually avian vets dispense doses in CCs or MLs and use one or more one cc or ml syringes to send it home in.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

When ever I get meds, and when Kiwi was beign treated for her cancer, her dosages were according to the droppers they came me....

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

I know that the vet told me that he mixed the Baytril with a fruit flavored syrup so that Squeeky would take it more easily. My vet gives us a glass bottle with a dropper. I just looked online and it said that 4 drops= 1/4 CC of medicine. I will get pictures of Squeeky's medicine bottle tonight.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

I know that the vet told me that he mixed the Baytril with a fruit flavored syrup so that Squeeky would take it more easily. My vet gives us a glass bottle with a dropper. I just looked online and it said that 4 drops= 1/4 CC of medicine. I will get pictures of Squeeky's medicine bottle tonight.
Did your vet say to shake it up very well before withdrawing the 4 drops? If not, I suggest you do so.

So if 4 drops equals 1/4 cc , then that translates into .25 cc or ml which IME is about right for a Tiel. Exact dose would depend on your bird's weight and whether it is the first dose or subsequent ones. Usually the first dose or "loading dose" as they call it is a little bit more than the subsequent ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.