• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
re: <Update 12/4> Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Oh Gosh, I'm just seeing this! Thank heavens the emergency vet could help Mikey breathe better! Is he on antibiotics now? I think if it was me I'd still call them back tomorrow and try to talk to the avian vet, even if Mikey seems OK, just to be sure.

Sending many Healing Thoughts and I hope he'll recover quickly! :hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie

How is Mikey doing? I am shocked your vet said not to worry about it. Good thinking by going to another vet!

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy

Poor Mikey has been through it. I'm so glad he seems more comfortable now. Hugs and good vibes coming your way!

MollyMouse

Tiffany my computer is down again so I am just seeing this. What a scare! I am sending continued prayers for Mikey and you and hope he keeps getting better :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

:hug8: for Mikey!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

:hug8::heart: for you both!:heart::hug8:

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran

OMG- just saw this- hope MIkey is ok, sending thoughts your way.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat

I am so glad you went to another place for help. I was terrified reading this thread---- Birds hide illness so by the time there is a symptom it's generally serious. I let a vet send my beloved tiel home with a general antibiotic --- I had heard a wheeze on Sunday, was told it could wait till Tuseday when the vet was in. She barely heard the sound I insisted was there although Fritzie did seem alert and lively. Wednesday My baby died in my arms . I will never quite forgive myself for not going to a second avian vet immediately. I still miss her so much.

I will pray that Mikey continues to improve. And once again, I'm proud of you.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Sending lots of healing and positive energy!:hug8:
Pat, I am so sorry for your loss,:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

:hug8::hug8::hug8:So so happy you had another opinion quickly, that was needed as birds when sick and showing it, are poorly enough not to hide it anylonger and that is a bad sign. Hope the treatment works and an Avian Vet can clear the rest if needed to. God bless.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

I don't mean to contradict her but I don't think they have to use twilight for a nare flush. Trinket's had one and it was a very simple procedure. Kind of like a human using an Neti pot. You need to get him back to your avian vet or new avian vet and have them do a nasal swab for a culture and a good exam because it's possible he has a seed hull stuck up there. They should probably do another flush too. He will also need an antibiotic to clear up the infection. Saying prayers for him and you.

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Oh no I missed this since I haven't been on much this weekend. I really hope Mikey will be ok. I can definitely relate to you because Squeeky was sneezing, shaking, not eating or drinking, and had his nose clogged up and sounded nasal. I am praying that Mikey gets well soon. Please keep us posted.

He didn't flush his nares with saline solution... And honestly I think thats what he needs as well.. Yes the vet I go to is a avian vet.. I think I need to go someplace else as well in which I hate to drag Mikey out again and stress him more but I have no choice.. Now its 7:00pm on Sunday night so regualar vets aren't open... I am holding on the phone with a different vet hospital Oradel Animal Hospital,they are trying to help me..
Hmmm. I find that really odd that the vet didn't even offer to flush his nares with a saline/antibiotic solution. When I took Squeeky in and the vet took a look at him and saw that his nose looked clogged he took action right away. He first took a culture of the slit in his mouth so they could see what kind of infection or bacteria he had. Then he said he was going to do the nasal flush on him to help clear his nasal passages and make him breath better. Squeeky also got put on Baytril a wide strean antibiotic until we get his results back from his culture. Once we know what he has on Tuesday we will take it from there. In my opinion I really think your regular avian vet could have done a lot more to make your faby feel better.

Ok just got back from Oradel Animal Hospital with Mikey.... Their was no avian vet on duty but a very nice regular vet saw us on such short notice... I hope I don't sound stupid here but I am not in the medical profession. She said normally when they flush a birds nare they put them under anesthesia (sp?) but she didn't feel comfortable doing that because she is not a avian vet so she did flush as much as she could and his nares look so much better... She said there is still more stuff deep down inside but she said she got alot of stuff out and he should be able to breath better... She said if he is still having a problem breathing tommorow to bring him back and their avian vet will be on duty.. He seems to be so much happier now and is eating his pellets and just gave him some more oatmeal... He's sleeping now.. I wanted to thank everyone for the support.. :heart: You guys are the best!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:
So glad that he is doing better. If you see that he is continuing to have the clogged nares be sure to take him to the vet again. Anytime that this happens it could mean that they have some type of infection going on. Squeeky got his nasal passages flushed and he was wide awake. I had never heard of them putting a bird to sleep for this before.

How is Mikey doing today?

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Wow I had no idea.. I thought everything would be fine with Mikey how we left off last nite... I just called back the Oradel Animal Hospital and the vet they have is their is a exotic vet and is charge of the local zoo and that he is very good with birds... So they will see me at 4pm today so I will leave work around 3pm. I am soo mad at my regular avian vet for blowing us off yesterday.. All I can think of is he didn't care.. :( I called at 3:15pm and they closed at 5:00pm, he probably just wanted to go home.. :shake: I have such a headache..

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee

I'm glad you found a different place to take little Mikey. Sounds like your vet was being a real jerk. Maybe this new place you've found is a better option for now and the future. I'm glad you found it and got him in. Can't wait for an update this afternoon after his next visit. Sending lots of prayers!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Ok just got back from Oradel Animal Hospital with Mikey.... Their was no avian vet on duty but a very nice regular vet saw us on such short notice... I hope I don't sound stupid here but I am not in the medical profession. She said normally when they flush a birds nare they put them under anesthesia (sp?) but she didn't feel comfortable doing that because she is not a avian vet so she did flush as much as she could and his nares look so much better...
My avian vet flushed our birds nares while they were awake and toweled.:confused:

How is he doing today?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

Do so hope Mikey is showing signs of improvement today and his nares not clogged up again? It would put your mind to rest if an Avian Vet could examine him and give him any treatment he thought fit though. Better to be safe than sorry! Good luck.:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

He seemed fine this morning before I left for work.. :) Was chirping, alert and eating his pellets.. had a little bit of a waffle and some more oatmeal... The animal hospital just called and moved up our appt to 3:40pm so he has enough time to spend with my bird.. I hope all goes well and that I have a new vet to take my babies too..

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Back from the vets... Please bear with me because I am learning as I go and I feel very stupid.. :imstupid: The minute he saw Mikey he believes that he has some sorta a infection... He said his nares were irritated and extremely swollen... He did another flush out and also performed a swab test of his mucus in his nares, mouth, vent and in his stool.. He thinks he may have Chlamydia or a infection of some sort. :( He gave me Baytril to give to him... Twice a day for 7 days and if I am not able to do it, he will have to be admitted into the hospital.. :eek: So he gave him a shot of Metacam and Baytril tonite but tommorow I have to administer the meds myself. He said depending on what the tests results come out too the medicine may change.. :sad11:

My poor poor little Mikey, I just love him so much..:heart: He's really been a trooper and we are learning together. I will keep you all posted on the results and his progress.. I am so grateful that I listened to all the knowledgeable folks on here.. :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

OH good, sounds like you are on the right track with this vet...Hope the meds go down easy tomorrow.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene

:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.