• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I took Mikey over to the vets yesterday because he seemed lethargic and he wasn't eaten and could not perch and hit his little head.. :eek: Please read 'Mikey is mad at me' in the cockatiel section (don't know how to link it here).. The vet said he appeared alert and didn't think he had a serious head injury but he put him on Metacam (birdy advil the vet said). He also told me to put him in a hospital cage and to just throw his food on the floor so he could forage... But I noticed that he wasn't eating... I was lucky enough to get him him to eat some oatmeal... So I was just looking at him before and it appears that he was gasping so I called the vets and he said that as long as he's eating and drinking that he will be ok... I brought him into the bathroom, I thought steam may help him so I ran the shower on hot for 5 minutes and just turned it off.. So its nice and steamy in the bathroom for him.. His nares are still clogged but he seems a little better... Should I turn the shower back on again for more steam? How long is ok for him to be in there with the steam? Please help me... :(

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
re: <Update 12/4> Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

I am not sure...i would think for shrot periods of time? A regular shower for me can be 15 minutes and Nani is in there with me when it is hot and steamy and she is ok....

I am so sorry....I would be worried about the gasping..did your vet recommend the steam?

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

I am not sure...i would think for shrot periods of time? A regular shower for me can be 15 minutes and Nani is in there with me when it is hot and steamy and she is ok....

I am so sorry....I would be worried about the gasping..did your vet recommend the steam?
Ok thank you Leslie... :hug8: I asked the vet if steam would be ok and he said it wouldn't hurt...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

didnt the vet prescribe anything? I really think you need to take him back if he did not give something.....many prayers and positve thoughts on the way

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Hi Anne... Thank you for the prayers.. :hug8: The vet did prescribe him some medication called Metacam.. And he already told me it wasn't necessary to bring him over despite the gasping:( .. I just put the shower on again for 15 minutes for steam.. He doesn't seem to be gasping like before... I just made him some more oatmeal and he gobbled that up.. And I also just made a homemade heating pad by putting hot bottled water with a little towel around it.. He's sitting right next to it..

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Oh no, I'm sorry. I hope he will get better soon. I just had one of mine in the vet last week and he had to be there overnight. I know how stressful it can be. I am sending healing thoughts.:hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Sounds like he is doing a little better..keep up what you are doing, it seems to be helping,:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Prayers for Mikey, Tiffany.I sure hope he gets better quickly..Keep us updated.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Okay, I think you need another opinion, that is not normal. Metacam is pain medicine not antibiotics. If he's gasping something is not right. Did the vet flush his nares with a saline solution? Is he an avian vet? I would take Mikey to another vet because your not getting any answers with this one.

Ginger

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Okay, I think you need another opinion, that is not normal. Metacam is pain medicine not antibiotics. If he's gasping something is not right. Did the vet flush his nares with a saline solution? Is he an avian vet? I would take Mikey to another vet because your not getting any answers with this one.

Ginger
He didn't flush his nares with saline solution... And honestly I think thats what he needs as well.. Yes the vet I go to is a avian vet.. I think I need to go someplace else as well in which I hate to drag Mikey out again and stress him more but I have no choice.. Now its 7:00pm on Sunday night so regualar vets aren't open... I am holding on the phone with a different vet hospital Oradel Animal Hospital,they are trying to help me..

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Ok this hospital told me to get over there right now!! I will update when I get back.. Please pray for Mikey and thank you for your support... :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Prayers on there way. I lit a candle for the little fabypants.

Ginger

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Prayers said! :hug8:

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina

I hope Mikey will be ok! Prayers coming your way.....:hug8:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan

Oh my gosh I pray everything will be ok. Prayers coming your way. I know how scary that is.....

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Poor Mikey, hope everything goes okay. Sending positive thoughts and keeping him in my prayers. :hug8::hug8:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen

Sending prayers, good thoughts and healing energy! :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Ok just got back from Oradel Animal Hospital with Mikey.... Their was no avian vet on duty but a very nice regular vet saw us on such short notice... I hope I don't sound stupid here but I am not in the medical profession. She said normally when they flush a birds nare they put them under anesthesia (sp?) but she didn't feel comfortable doing that because she is not a avian vet so she did flush as much as she could and his nares look so much better... She said there is still more stuff deep down inside but she said she got alot of stuff out and he should be able to breath better... She said if he is still having a problem breathing tommorow to bring him back and their avian vet will be on duty.. He seems to be so much happier now and is eating his pellets and just gave him some more oatmeal... He's sleeping now.. I wanted to thank everyone for the support.. :heart: You guys are the best!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

I have never had any of my birds nares flushed so I am not sure if they are put under anesthesia for that - but I am so glad he is feeling better now able to breather better, I hope that his breathing continues to stay good. Will continue to keep him in my prayers and thoughts.:hug8: :)

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran

yay! I'm so glad they flushed his nares. I think seeing a choking/gasping bird is the most frightening experience I've ever had!

Status
Not open for further replies.