• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Update 12/22> (#120) Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
re: <Update 12/4> Mikey went to the vets.. He's in a hospital cage now.. :(

It's really obnoxious that baytril is a crushed up pill, it always needs to be shaken up and for some reason it seems no matter what the bottom is thicker than the top.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

It's really obnoxious that baytril is a crushed up pill, it always needs to be shaken up and for some reason it seems no matter what the bottom is thicker than the top.
Baytril comes in liquid form also which can be injected I.M. or mixed with formula & given orally.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

:omg: FINALLY I have some very good news to share with everyone!!! Mikey had 2 seperate tests on Monday and the exotics vet just called me and the test for Chlamydia came back NEGATIVE!! :yahoo: So I am just waiting for the other test to come back to see if he has any sort of bacterial infection.. That test should come back to me on Monday. :heart::heart::heart:

He also told me to still keep giving Mikey the Baytril just in case. And as far as dosage for the Baytril its 4 units 2 x a day for 7 days..

I also called my regular avian vet.. You know the one I want to :shake:. To make a long story short, we made up and he told me he was working late tonite, plus he was working all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and if Mikey needs ANYTHING to call and bring him over.. I like that, Mikey deserves VIP service because he is my little lover boy... :heart: I know we are not out of the woods yet but we are on our way to a fantastic start!! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna

That is FANTASTIC NEWS! :dance4:

I am so relieved to hear that little Mikey is on the mend and that your regular vet giving him the VIP treatment now. :hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

:omg: FINALLY I have some very good news to share with everyone!!! Mikey had 2 seperate tests on Monday and the exotics vet just called me and the test for Chlamydia came back NEGATIVE!! :yahoo: So I am just waiting for the other test to come back to see if he has any sort of bacterial infection.. That test should come back to me on Monday. :heart::heart::heart:

He also told me to still keep giving Mikey the Baytril just in case. And as far as dosage for the Baytril its 4 units 2 x a day for 7 days..

I also called my regular avian vet.. You know the one I want to :shake:. To make a long story short, we made up and he told me he was working late tonite, plus he was working all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and if Mikey needs ANYTHING to call and bring him over.. I like that, Mikey deserves VIP service because he is my little lover boy... :heart: I know we are not out of the woods yet but we are on our way to a fantastic start!! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:
So is a "unit" considered a "drop"? Best I think to try & get your vet to use the terms cc or ml when referring to liquid meds or dissolved tablets in a solution.

Great news on the negative tests so far. Happy Thanksgiving.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat

:dance4::dance4::dance4:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Did your vet say to shake it up very well before withdrawing the 4 drops? If not, I suggest you do so.

So if 4 drops equals 1/4 cc , then that translates into .25 cc or ml which IME is about right for a Tiel. Exact dose would depend on your bird's weight and whether it is the first dose or subsequent ones. Usually the first dose or "loading dose" as they call it is a little bit more than the subsequent ones.
Yep he was very adement about shaking it very well.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

YAY!!!!:dance4::dance5::dancing:

penguin

Avenue Veteran

Yay Mikey! Hoping it's something easily taken care of by the Baytril.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

So is a "unit" considered a "drop"? Best I think to try & get your vet to use the terms cc or ml when referring to liquid meds or dissolved tablets in a solution.
I checked the medicine bottle it says 4 units and the syringe is measured in units as well... :rolleyes: So I dunno what the medical amount is...:unsure: But next time I go to the vets, I will ask. :)

Quest

Real Name
Judy

Keep that good news coming.
I really admire how you hung
in there and got help for your
little Mikey.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

I checked the medicine bottle it says 4 units and the syringe is measured in units as well... :rolleyes: So I dunno what the medical amount is...:unsure: But next time I go to the vets, I will ask. :)
Thanks for your willingness to ask. I don't know why some vets use those marked "unit" syringes vs. the marked cc or ml type syringes? Anyone know the answer to that question?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

I am not sure...the units are what U of Penn uses.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna

So happy to hear that Mikey is still improving!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

So pleased Mickie is getting better and responding to his treatment. :hug8:

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth

Tiffany
GREAT news on the Negative Chlamy. test. I know personally what it's like to get a Positive one and it's NOT a good feeling. :hug8:

I hope that Mikey does well with the Baytril. I have found it to be effective in curing respiratory and systemic bacterial infections therefore you seem to have the bases covered in that regard.

One thing I would like to suggest is that you keep him warm during his time of recovery with perhaps a space heater or a warm mist humidifier. It seems to really be helping my Daisy cockatiel to get better and be comfortable while he recovers from his trip to the brink over a week ago.

Best wishes and happy Thanksgiving to you and your flock!

Redbird

Meeting neighbors

There are less mistakes to be made when using units VS .01 ml for small birds and small dosages. There are 100 units per ml. One should always verify the dosage of medication with your vet of pharmacist before dosing your bird, have them break it down to mg/kg. Make sure you understand the marking on a syringe whether marked in units or ml. Vets like other professionals do make mistakes.....

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

There are less mistakes to be made when using units VS .01 ml for small birds and small dosages. There are 100 units per ml. One should always verify the dosage of medication with your vet of pharmacist before dosing your bird, have them break it down to mg/kg. Make sure you understand the marking on a syringe whether marked in units or ml. Vets like other professionals do make mistakes.....
----------------------------------------------------------
The same info in the ILLUS id applicable to an oral syringe

Attachments

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have a appt on Saturday morning to bring Mikey over to see the Director of the Avian Hospital near my house.. :D:D:D Mikey LOVES this vet and he knows my bird. :heart: This is the vet who Mikey preened his mustache back in May. :rofl: Just unfortunately he is very hard to get a appt with and wasn't around when I initially took Mikey in on a emergency basis. And they told me that if something opens up sooner with him, I will be the first person they contact. Seriously guys, only now I feel soooo happy and confident now that my sweet faby will be seen by a wonderful avian vet... Mikey will get the best of the best care and he will go over all his previous tests.. Mikey is still sick and on Baytril. I will post after my visit and let everyone know whats going on. Please keep us in your prayers. I am all chocked up here... You guys are the BEST and thank you for your continued support... :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

That's good news, Tiffany that you'll be able to get Mikey in to see the vet you feel most confident with. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.