• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untamed linnies

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I brought home a bonded pair of linnies a few weeks ago. I’ve made a ton of progress with them! They’re comfortable with me, they will ”talk” to me, they’re acting super goofy all the time (going upside down, bobbing their heads, zooming around the cage, etc). I’ve made good and quick progress with target training (Froggy quickly learned that if she chomps the stick she gets millet, haha), and we’re progressing with perch training. As they have been rehomed a few times prior (they went breeder -> home -> home -> my home), I don’t know much about when they were babies (they’re 2 and 3 now). I‘m not sure if they were hand-raised, but they’re not hand tame now, and according to the previous owner they didn‘t warm up to hands in the two months they were there either. I know that they’re pretty new and that linnies in general tend to be hand shy, but I was wondering if you guys have had any luck taming untamed linnies, and if you had any tips?

Just to be clear, I will still love these guys with my whole heart even if they never step up. They’re my babies :)
CAAED620-BF51-427C-B054-4223BB2B1A3F.jpeg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
After you teach them to perch, teach them to go from perch to perch. Then make your shoulder, hand or whatever a ‘perch.’

Or… use a stick as a perch. Once they use it, gradually move your hand closer until it’s replacing the stick.

Take your time. When we push, they tend to back off.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
congratulations! They are lovely! I'm excited to learn more about them!

April's was the first id heard of this cute species!

Sounds like amazing progress so far!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a pair of cutie pies! I've not had any luck taming my single boy that I've had about 4 months yet. For awhile he would get closer and closer to me but recently we seemed to take a few steps back for no reason that I could discern and he went back to running to the top of the cage when I'd open the door to change food and water. But now after a few weeks of that he's in the last few days more willing to let me approach him and isn't running as much. So I'm hopeful that we can progress to him becoming more tame but im not pushing him and we're still going at his pace. But even if that never happens like you've said I'll love him no matter what and he'll get the best care possible and want for nothing.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just brought home 2 youngsters! The cage they are in is temporary I have a much more appropriate one that I will set up tomorrow.

I love the greens and blues as well but chose these two. They are adorable little parrots!

Ooh they are so precious. What are their names?

DebS

Meeting neighbors
Ooh they are so precious. What are their names?
Not named yet, suggestions are most welcome! And thanks, I love them. Such sweet little creatures.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They are so cute congratulations :heart:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award