• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untamed budgies- how do I free roam them

animalover

Jogging around the block
I want to take my budgies out of their cages, they are still not tamed, and they are both separated into different cages because one is sick, before we found out we used to let them out, and they would go to the highest area in the room, when the female would fly down to the cage, so would the male, but this time we can’t take them both out at the same time, and without their Partner, they won’t get down on their own, how do I solve this? I really want to take them out as they seem more depressed each day.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there anything else that motivates them? Mine will go in for food, so I just take their food bowls out and swish them around. When they go back in, give them a treat and pay them some attention for a bit (so they don't think closed cage = mum goes away).

Or maybe treating their partner and interacting with the other bird?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Is there anything else that motivates them? Mine will go in for food, so I just take their food bowls out and swish them around. When they go back in, give them a treat and pay them some attention for a bit (so they don't think closed cage = mum goes away).

Or maybe treating their partner and interacting with the other bird?
I mean, millet definitely, but only works for a bit, right now we're more focused on Milos diagnosis, hopefully we can take the budgies next month.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
The way I trained my untamed budgies was giving them treats by hand to get them used to it. Afterwards I used a perch to get them to step up while keeping my hand at the base. Slowly I moved my hand upwards and after about a month when it came to the top of the perch I removed the perch and they started stepping up to my hand:)

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
To get my budgie Picasso to not be scared of coming out of his cage was building his confidence by training (mainly target training), changing toys often, and a very varied diet this helped in so many ways! He use to be very shy and skittish and now he’s playful, loves to explore, and very talkative!